Comments

• Freedom, it's not an either/or - it's being aware of the optimal age to learn languages. The sooner the better. Young children pick up foreign languages much more quickly and speak it like natives if they learn very young. Also, learning the mechanics of another language helps reinforce the mechanics of your native language.

But, Freedom, you are right. Every time I meet someone (from another country) and tell them that I am trying to learn one of the languages they can speak, they say, "But, everyone in the world is learning English."

If we are going to expect our students to learn a foreign language, why not take advantage of that time in development when language is best learned - that window of opportunity? It's what is done in other countries - several languages are introduced in elementary school. Why do we wait until high school?

May 19, 2011 at 7:55 a.m.
  • What's even more disgusting about the turnout is that more than half of your property taxes go to the School District.

May 19, 2011 at 4:28 a.m.
  • The voter turn out is disgusting. Why isn't there more interest in the education of your children? What is a democratic school? What is the reasoning supporting starting classes at 9:00? Rebecca what is your hang up with foreign languages, the students should be proficient in the english language, spelling, grammar and vocabulary before exploring an additional language. I'm old school, reading, writing, arithmetic, history, geography, and civics are the foundation of education; and classes starting at 8:00.

May 18, 2011 at 9:01 p.m.
  • Rebecca, I agree with some of what you say, but acknowledge that having public school start after 9 am is not going to happen. That is just one of the many benefits of home schooling your children. That along with not having to provide the TAKS test for them, and have the PRACTICE the TAKS ad nauseum throughout the year prior to taking the actual test. Really, practicing the test? And "studying" to take the practice tests! I could "rant" on this for hours.

As far as the election: I understand the need to vote; if you don't vote you have no room to complain how things turn out. Having said that, many people see things stay the same no matter how many people turn out to vote, whether it is for the school board or for city/county/national elections. If nothing changes, the population gets complacent and begins to think they cannot effect change so why vote.

Get the candidates out among the residents. Put them on the back of a pickup or trailer and give them a bull-horn and have them go through neighborhoods and get the people out to hear them. And don't do it at noon on a weekday; do it on a Saturday or in the evening. Don't depend on the stupid posters on the side of the road and the cable TV and newspaper to get the word out; go see the people where they live! Or is that asking too much?

May 17, 2011 at 10:57 a.m.
  • Me neither, Sug.

My rant button is always looking to be pushed.

Thanks, you too.

May 16, 2011 at 12:20 p.m.
  • Thanks for the clarification, Rebecca. Because I don't have children in school, sometimes all the ins and outs of childhood education are not always first nature to me.

Have a good one! :)

May 16, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.
  • When I say "working" on fine and gross motor skills, I mean by PLAYING. That's how those are worked out - time.

May 16, 2011 at 10:56 a.m.
  • That was kind of my point. The things I want are never going to happen.

Learning foreign languages when the brain is best suited for language acquisition, is common sense. Young children should not be sitting in a desk. In fact, early education should be verbal, multi-lingual, and a time to play and work on fine and gross motor skills - learning by doing. It's why I practice delayed formal academics.

As far as letting teens sleep in, that's based on science: "The study found that melatonin production turned off later in more mature adolescents, presumably indicating that the brain's nighttime cycle shifted to a later phase." http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/cl... The circadian cycle changes which makes teens need to sleep later into the morning. In schools that have delayed start times, they are seeing a jump in test scores. Crazy, but it's something to consider and I practice that here.

As far as Democratic schools - That is the only type of school I would send my children to. We Democratic-school (verb there) here at home. =P

That's just me. Maybe it's better that I don't get more involved. Wouldn't you agree? ;)

May 16, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.
  • Rebecca - not sure about the "democratic school" thing, but I did have 4 years of spanish in elementary. The catch is, it was a magnet school with a vanguard program for the gifted and talented in a large city. Cannot see that type of progressive, intelligent thinking in this part of the world. As for starting school at 9 - huh? Are you really advocating school to start at 9 or did I misunderstand you? And a "massive walkout during TAKS"? Not an attack, you know that, just trying to understand if your "perfect" candidate would advocate these, or if you meant something else...Why should students walk out during a required test?

As for the puny voter turnout, I think my dad said it best - only 4% voted so the other 96% would have something to b!t@h about....

May 16, 2011 at 10:24 a.m.
  • One of my professors told a group of future teachers, "The primary goal of public education is not to educate, it is to babysit." I was mad at her for insulting everything I was (I was raised by teachers) and everything I was going to be (I was an education major), but she meant that for *most parents* the school is there to baby sit.

I didn't vote. Was there a candidate who was pushing for starting school after 9:00am? How about a candidate who would support delayed formal academics? What about a candidate who would support a massive student walk-out during TAKS? I want to turn public schools into democratic schools or add foreign languages to the early childhood curriculum. Those aren't even the things that a school board has the power to do, I assume.

=P

May 16, 2011 at 7:45 a.m.

May 16, 2011 at 7:39 a.m.
  • This just shows how concern the people of Victoria really are...NOW...quit complaining.

May 16, 2011 at 7:24 a.m.
  • Disgusting

May 16, 2011 at 12:36 a.m.