Burning candle causes Inez house fire
May 22, 2011 at 12:22 a.m.
Updated May 26, 2011 at 12:26 a.m.
Be careful of burning candlesVictoria Fire Marshal Ron Pray said that people shouldn't leave burning candles unattended.
He said candles can tip over and cause damage, or people can place them too close to a wall.
An Inez woman's house caught fire from a burning candle on Sunday.
Debbie Hensley, who lives in the 400 block Hollybrook Drive, was surrounded by neighbors and family members in the afternoon as firefighters finished up their work. She held onto her son, Brayden Ressman, 6, who clung onto his Chihuahua.
About 3:30 p.m., Hensley said that she was mowing grass before she went inside through the back, sliding door. She was confronted with a cloud of black smoke and crackling noise.
Hensley then went to her neighbor's house, who called 911, she said.
The Inez Volunteer Fire Department was the first to arrive on the scene as flames began to leap out of the house. Victoria Fire Marshal Ron Pray credited the volunteers with saving the house.
"If it hadn't been for their quick action and getting their crew together real quickly, this house could've gone to the ground," Pray said.
A burning candle was the cause of the fire after it got too hot, catching a shelf on fire, Pray said. That resulted in the front living room getting heat, smoke and minor water damage, he added.
Hensley's children were attending an Edna church function.
While she watched firefighters clear her house of burned-out insulation and a recliner, Hensley said she was glad she didn't lose something more valuable.
"I'm very thankful my kids weren't here," she said. "You can't replace your kids."