Comments

• The evacuation of Rita was proof things were not organized and prepared. Hopefully some lessons were learned.
    If you decide to stay during a real hurricane then it is selfish for you to expect emergency services to risk their lives for your decision.
    We would only leave for a large storm.

May 26, 2011 at 7:56 p.m.
  • The 'boy that cried wolf' was Pozzi & hurricane Rita. That was indeed a fiasco! I doubt that anyone who followed his advice will ever do so again.

The advice from the EM Coordinator, "you're on your own", is sound advice .... but when dealing with government officials, it should be heeded 365 days a year.

If you do decide to leave, when you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with kids, pets, and $4.00 gas ... you can rest assured that all of the government officials who told you to evacuate, will be safe, snug and secure in their new 14,000 sq.ft. $1,500,000 emergency center.

The words to remember from your E.M.Coordinator, (and some really excellent advice it is) is "you're on your own".

May 26, 2011 at 5:39 p.m.
  • We will leave. We trust our city leaders and of cource they get caught up in the hype like everybody else and they jump the gun on the last one. Were not worried about our house or storm surge we just don't want to be stuck with out electricity (i'm not much of a camper ). and when I do go camping it's in a condo for a week.
    We do have pets 6-birds 3 dogs and it takes alittle planning before the storm (like a fire drill for your family). if you decide to stay :stay and if you decide to go ;go but don't wait till the last minute.
    ps. Hey if you stay there's enough chinese buffets in Victoria to keep you feed. LOL

May 26, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.
  • Deciding to evacuate is a difficult decision. The officials making the call do not have crystal balls. If they did we wouldn’t be having this discussion. They have to make that decision on the experts best guess. When threatened, my family is fortunate to have family well away from the area. They leave early and allow me to do my job without worrying about them. It’s those that don’t leave that places the emergency responders in harms way. We’ve seen that flood after flood. Bottom line, it’s a decision that you have to make, please be prepared to be on your own for a couple days if the worst case scenario happens.

May 26, 2011 at 3:46 p.m.
  • I won't leave. We won't flood and that is the most devastating part of a hurricane.
    We board up our windows, get everything we need to last a week or two, fill up all of the cars with gas, and stay the h#ll off of the roads.
    The responsible thing for cities to do is provide storm shelters for those who need help. There is no need to put a million people out on the highways, running out of gas, and basically being stranded out in the open as a hurricane rolls in.
    My family stayed in Ganado during Carla while my dad was at Alcoa. We had moved from Port Lavaca 3 months earlier. We were prefectly fine in our home with boarded-up windows. Barely even any water to mop up.

May 26, 2011 at 2:57 p.m.
  • The last time they said run from the storm. We packed up and left with our dogs in tow. The hours on the road to get just to the Austin area was HORRIBLE it took 7 hours to get to Austin. Then the cost was astronomical. Gas, Food, Lodging. I had to put it on plastic because I did not know when I can return to work and needed what cash I had to survive. I had to pay that off. It was horrible! Finding a hotel was a mute point. We ended up in Brady before we found a hotel. I will never run unless they say its a Cat 4-5 heading straight for Victoria.

May 26, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.
  • Carls showed you can stay put as long as you don't live in substandard housing.

May 26, 2011 at 11:57 a.m.
  • If you're going to stay, have the health, means and responsibilty to fend for yourselves. Older folks, disabled, and recipients of social services and welfare should leave.

The attitude of an arrogant bureaucrat is not welcome either. How many major hurricanes, storms, floods, has he experienced?

May 26, 2011 at 11:25 a.m.
  • The last mandatory evacuation was in fact my last, because of my job I had to send my family and elderly parents to San Antonio early in the AM (it took them nearly 5 hrs to get there) and I was going to follow when I could later that day, but then they decided the storm was going somewhere else so I stayed but Victoria was nearly a ghost town, needless to say this caused a lot of stress on my folks who both ended up being medically supervised for several days upon their return and the cost, the majority of people are on fixed incomes.
    For the EM Coordinator to say basically "your on your own" is uncalled for, we should rename our "Emergency Services" Police,Fire Dept,EMS to"Near Always Emergency Services" isn't this why they do the job they do?

May 26, 2011 at 10:28 a.m.
  • My family did the likewise "run for the hills" routine from a Hurricane, and got a simliar miserable result. My father came back with a similiar resolve which he shared with me. Never run again.

I recall watching the local leadership (hello Mr. Pozzi), scaring the living crap out of Victoria during Hurricane Rita. The over reaching and overstatements during that episode was the begining of the end of my faith in local elected officials and bureaucrats.

As I recall, evacuation calls were made on Tuesday for a storm due to hit on Saturday. Histeria ensued as more and more local leaders piled on and by Wednesday noon the entire city was in turmoil. Being out of town at the time, I made an emergency return to Victoria at 11pm Wednesday to find my neighborhood in full panic mode with vehicles loaded and most leaving at daybreak. I turned on Channel 11 Houston to have Frank Billingsley inform us that the storm was turning towards the TX-LA Border. I informed the neighbors and turned in for the night, only to be awoken at 6 am as the whole area was vacating the area. While they ran for Austin, San Antonio, and parts unknown, I went back to bed.

As it turns out, Friday the storm hit around Sabine Pass, and Victoria County was near empty.

May 26, 2011 at 8:40 a.m.
  • While my grandparents stayed in their home in Edna when Carla came through in 1961, my parents loaded us up in the family car, took a last look at their brand new home and we headed to Austin to stay with relatives. Unfortunately the storm came up through Austin and it was horrible weather there.

While my grandparents told me about walking outside when the eye of the storm passed over all I could remember was everyone at my aunt's home in Austin getting down behind couches and away from windows.

Other than a few limbs and one broken window my grandparents home was just fine. They were without power for two days and all was well.

What Jeb Lacey doesn't tell us is where do we go when we are told to evacuate? Austin? Did that, have the t-shirt. The hill country? Flooding, no thanks.

If a hurricane comes into Port O'Connor again and I still live north of highway 59, I'm staying. We did the evacuation during Carla but not for any of the others; we made that mistake once.

May 26, 2011 at 7:27 a.m.