Comments

• Wow that's impressive...I give up "I stand corrected.'

I was always a look in the back of the book for the answer student..:-)

Thanks

January 3, 2012 at 3:49 p.m.
  • Actually Mike, solving for x doesn't get you anywhere. You need two equations for this one.

ball = x
    bat = y

equations:
    x + y = 1.10
    y = x + 1.00

then you get
    x + x + 1.00 = 1.10
    2x + 1.00 = 1.10
    2x = .10
    x = .10/2
    x = .05

ball = .05, bat = .05+1.00 = 1.05

(This is for any fifth/sixth graders that might be taking the test soon) :)

January 3, 2012 at 3:27 p.m.
  • A good one Mike. I just hope they don't have trick questions like that on any standardized test. I also came up with the wrong answer.

January 3, 2012 at 12:43 p.m.
  • I'm ashamed to say this but this question stumped me but according to Fareed Zakaria of CNN's GPS,several graduates of Harvard missed it.
    QUESTION: If a baseball and bat costs $1.10, and the bat costs $1.00 more than the ball, how much does the ball cost?
    The ball is .05 -and the bat is 1.05....Most people thought the ball cost .10 and the bat $1.00

x+$1.00= $1.10 solve for X
    We should have more of these.

January 3, 2012 at 12:06 p.m.
  • I would like to know the statewide percentage of students who answer #3 accurately. If the majority of students have the necessary skills and knowledge taught at previous grade levels, the percentage of correct response could be more than 50 % providing that this is not a multiple choice test. It takes commitment on the part of the student, parents, teachers, and the school district to make the test tool that will provide positive feedback and render desirable results. As a consultant, I can assure you that if one of the above mentioned factors is not present, the student's chance for success in school are diminished and for some it may not produce the intended results.

January 3, 2012 at 11:52 a.m.
  • familyman, go to http://www.KhanAcademy.org and take the Arithmetic Challenge!

November 7, 2011 at 10:29 a.m.
  • since when did they start teaching algebra in 6th grade? When I was in school, that was an advanced 8th grade class.

November 7, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.
  • Are you smarter than a 6th grader? Vic ad- have a section on schooling like this every day. It will help the older generation to remember. Besides it is fun for the readers.

November 6, 2011 at 5:21 a.m.