Comments

• Writein...Just a minor point, but the .410 shotshell won't fit in a .357. The .45 long Colt chamber takes the .410. These revolvers aren't my idea of a concealable handgun.

November 7, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.
  • What a terrible tragedy. The VPD has long had a police bicycle program. Why do we not see these officers out on bicycles anymore? I recall bicycles mounted on the trunks of patrol cruisers. I just don't see it anymore? Why is this? I agree that a fulltime presence of some sort needs to be the norm out there on that trail, and not just for the next few weeks. This should be a constant presence. The city built this thing, now they need to adequately protect it. It seems to me that a couple of officers assigned to all the parks would be a very wise move by this new Chief of Police they hired. With the addition of the skate park, ball fields, softball complex, Riverside, Ethel Lee, Ted Reed, and many other parks that go unattended and unprotected, the time is now.

November 7, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.
  • The real issue is there is no police patrol on these trails and it’s a breeding ground for teens and thugs to hang out and walk from one neighborhood to another while engaged in criminal activity. I live on the trail and after my fence was spray painted several times and stereo stolen I had a chance to talk to an officer. He brought up a good point that there is no curfew on the trail so unless an individual is committing a crime doesn’t matter if its 3am in the morning the police can’t just stop and ask them what they’re doing. All the parks in town have a 11pm curfew so if an individual is in the park past 11pm the cops can question him right away however this isn’t the case on the trail. It’s a part of the parks department right? Ok so can we get a curfew and avoid the next tragedy? Terrible this had to happen for anyone to pay attention of what’s going on in our backyard…..

November 7, 2011 at 10:25 a.m.
  • "If this happened" and "however" tend to indicate that because the Victoria Advocate or the VPD did not elect to share the details and with no other evidence that "this actually occured".

What is the other reason this person reported this crime. I don't think it was to be called a lier.

November 7, 2011 at 10:20 a.m.
  • Sad thing, hope they catch them. Once again the design of the trail, sandwiched between deep creek beds, brush and privacy fences, with limited straight aways, lends it self to hiding people up to no good.

November 7, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.
  • If this happened I'm truly sorry for the victim and hope they nail the two guys responsible.

However...

There's really not much information in this report. No mention from the police that they found evidence that this actually occurred. No description of the attackers. No info about neighbors or anyone else seeing or hearing anything. Not saying this stuff doesn't exist, just that there's not much to go on right now.

November 7, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.
  • this can happen anywhere not just trails after dark. The Twilight Rapist was breaking into people's homes and raping them. I've heard of cases of people being assaulted on the streets.

If the city is going to build more of these types of amenities there should be some thought to protection. Instead of police could the city outsource security guards from sun down to sun up?

Would be cheaper than police and not take away police resources unless a crime is being committed?

This is a very sad incident and I feel very bad it happened but it could serve as a moment to educate our citizenry and have our city reexamine its priorities and resources.

I agree, a bike patrol like in other cities may help and would provide a fairly quick response if something did happen.

The woman should have had some protection, pepper spray may not be the answer for as windy as it is for her to use it they would have to be almost right on top of her and by then it is too late. Spraying pepper spray with a strong breeze would have just as likely rendered her incapable of doing anything as it would have disabled her attackers.

handgun would likely do the trick.

November 7, 2011 at 9:06 a.m.
  • It's sad that a woman has to have a companion with her or carry a weapon to be able to enjoy a run, but the realities are just that these days. I agree no woman should be out running by herself after dark. Reading bighorn's comment saddens me even more. The statement that the police are never out there means nothing unless you are out there 24/7 to attest to that fact.

November 7, 2011 at 8:36 a.m.
  • @ Bighorn

"Never a police car in the area, beyond hassling motorists."

So they are there? Or they are not there? There doing police work...but not?

It's the police officers fault...dude...seriously?

I say it's your fault...you could have stopped the perpetrators by pummeling them with your thick skull!

November 7, 2011 at 8:19 a.m.
  • I live right off the walking trail and I was just talking about how I have never heard anything bad happening on it. I see people walking there even after 2 am. I was told at one point after fences got cleaned up from being spray painted they were going to put cameras up. Too bad it was too late. My heart goes out to that victim.

November 7, 2011 at 8:17 a.m.

November 7, 2011 at 7:33 a.m.
  • Writein...I agree that the Taurus has much more horsepower than a .380, but it might be a little more than can be easily carried by a jogger...especially a female jogger. The .380 is usually small enough and light enough to fit easily into a fanny pack and the recoil isn't such that it makes it difficult to shoot well. The sights are usually worthless, but at a range of four to six feet, the sights aren't as important as if shooting at 20 yards or more.

November 7, 2011 at 6:34 a.m.
  • First, NEVER HIKE ALONE AT NIGHT!
    Second, DO CARRY SOME SORT OF PROTECTION!
    Third, Why not utilize CITIZENS ON PATROL? Yes, they are volunteers, but I'm sure some of them would donate their time to a good cause.
    Fourth, and a little expensive: CAMERAS! Instead of the non-working ones at (most) intersections.......................................................
    -----------------oh, well. Just my opinion.......................................

November 6, 2011 at 10:31 p.m.
  • I'm trying to talk my husband into getting us both pistol's for Christmas. BUT if I need to pull a gun on someone, I am going to kill them, not piss them off. I really hope they catch these perverts! I've run red lights to get away from weirdo's walking up to my car at night. I'll take a ticket over having something worse happen.

November 6, 2011 at 10:30 p.m.
  • Bad link try glocktech.com

November 6, 2011 at 10:09 p.m.
  • I would suggest a small Glock 9mm, and use a mic holster(glocktech.com). Plenty of rounds. Rain on ' em!

November 6, 2011 at 10:06 p.m.
  • i normally carry a knife on me when on the trail, probably time to upgrade to the pistol

November 6, 2011 at 9:44 p.m.
  • WWW.
    I agree with you whole heartily. However I am a fan of the Taurus Judge with .357/410 combo

November 6, 2011 at 7:54 p.m.
  • Themaskedbandita...Pepper spray? How about a .380? To be legal, you'd need to take a concealed handgun course to get the license, but it would give you something to even out the odds. (If you don't want to go to the expense and time required for the course, take the pistol anyway; no Texas jury will convict a woman who shoots an attacker). Also, the .380 hollow point at close range would take the fight out of most -- not all, but most -- rapists. It'd also make'em easier to catch.

Ordinarily I would suggest something with more horsepower, but .380 semi-automatic pistols are generally small, light weight, easy on recoil and, if fired multiple times, potent enough to do the job. If one insists on being on a dark, mostly deserted hike and bike trail, one must take certain precautions. There are some people in this town who just aren't very nice and shooting them is always a good idea. Remember, the police cannot protect you. All they can do is file a report.

November 6, 2011 at 7:30 p.m.
  • I told my wife when they opened it, that would probably be a problem for perves to hang out. She stays away from that trail. Hope they catch them!!!

November 6, 2011 at 7:05 p.m.
  • Don't know who is responsible for this trail, we have them in the city where I live ... miles of them. They are patrolled by the City Park Police. I see them on bicycles and on 4 wheelers. Doesn't matter what time of day I go or what section I chose, I always see them. Maybe Victoria should consider this?

November 6, 2011 at 6:53 p.m.

November 6, 2011 at 6:28 p.m.
  • I hope that women in the area will be on high alert after this. Maybe carry some pepper spray on a key chain and a cell phone if you're out after dark.

November 6, 2011 at 6:23 p.m.
  • More jobs, more trash. Seen the influx of the homeless lately? Couple of cowards. Can't go anywhere at night anymore because of P.O.S like this.

November 6, 2011 at 5:34 p.m.
  • I've been expecting this since the trail opened. Never a police car in the area, beyond hassling motorists.

November 6, 2011 at 5:33 p.m.
  • Well i hope these two perverts are caught!

November 6, 2011 at 5:32 p.m.

November 6, 2011 at 5:27 p.m.
  • Hopefully they catch those two ASAP

November 6, 2011 at 4:45 p.m.