Comments

November 13, 2011 at 6:38 a.m.
  • Item: I travel extensively, even to Houston, and find little cause for concern for my well being because, 1. I avoid "problem" areas, 2. remain aware of my surroundings, 3. I am an unattractive target.

If any of those cirsumstances were different, I would be even more diligent pertaining to the other two.

And whether or not I'm armed is my business alone. Not the authorities. And certainly not yours.

Given the your "over the top" comments, and your overreaction to others, I would give pause as to your right to concealed carry. And doubt your experience in any confrontational situation.

Have a good evening.

November 9, 2011 at 6:17 p.m.

November 8, 2011 at 10 p.m.
  • If the Hike and Bike Trail is so bad that it mandates carrying a concealed handgun, then I would think common sense would dicatate avoiding it all together.

Make sense to you, Item?

November 8, 2011 at 9:54 p.m.
  • Put cameras on walking trails....Take a BIG dog, if you don't have a big dog , borrow your neighbors... the dog would love it.Maybe there should be a moonlighter's club where women can meet to walk in the evenings, strenght in numbers. Is it legal to carry mace? How about a golfclub?
    I don't know the answer I wish I did.

November 8, 2011 at 8:39 p.m.
  • kisstine the man that I saw did nothing overt his was just dressed wrong (jeans and a button up shirt) in the middle of the trail between miori and airline he was just standing there I ran on to airline and was going to call my husband to pick me up but ended up running back with another woman so neither of us was alone. just be carefully if something strikes you funny pay attention.

November 8, 2011 at 7:13 p.m.
  • I also live in this neighborhood. Police were canvassing the area for two days straight and I saw several police officers go door to door to ask for information. The only criticism that I can say about the police is that the officer who came to my door asked if I had heard anything unusual on that night. He did not tell me that there had been a crime, especially a rape, committed in the area, so that I could be on the look out or super-vigilant. If I hadn't read about it in Victoria Advocate, I wouldn't have known what was going on. I do applaud the police for getting out there and collecting whatever evidence they can. Our neighbors all look out for each other. I would have wished the young lady would have knocked on someone's door to get help sooner, but let these hoodlums know- our neighborhood is ready and waiting. We are now watching more than ever- we need to protect our children. Hope they get caught and I hope they realize they can never come this way again! Prayers to the family.

November 8, 2011 at 4:21 p.m.
  • VPD won't put police on the hike and bike trail until they post speed limits. They they can reclaim the revenue lost from not catching speeders along bus. 59.

November 8, 2011 at 3:56 p.m.
  • aprilp, just out of curiosity because I also live by the trail. What does this suspicious man look like so I can be on the look out as well....

November 8, 2011 at 8:27 a.m.
  • I stopped walking the trail when I was approached my a man along the part of the trail that runs from Stockbauer to Ben Jordan. It was in the morning and he only walks that part of the trail. After trying to initiate a conversation with me, he was trying very hard to get me to not leave. I had to walk down Ben Jordan and Stockbauer to get back to my car.

November 8, 2011 at 6:33 a.m.
  • I advise only the use of common sense in conduct.

I'm certain the girl and her family are more than upset by the events.

I'd much rather see a cop on a bike occasionally on the trail, and not spending all their time on US 59 looking for speeders. And the idea image of a bunch of armed citizens along the tail is not terribly appealing.

November 8, 2011 at 6:11 a.m.
  • Bighorn,
    Please, do not blame the woman. She did not ask for it. I am sure her father would agree.

If anything, ask the nieghbor hood watch program that once, no, let re-phrase, AS SOON AS an incident has occurred, the VPD contact the head of the program to start a telephone contact and start a BOLO. We are all part of this city. VPD, do not wait months before asking for our help. Programs i watch, like First 48, the PD goes on camera asking for the public's help with in hours if not, a couple of days. You do not have to give us arresting powers, but you can ask us to be on the look out.

November 8, 2011 at 5:30 a.m.
  • Put the bike cops to work on the trail. At least one cop on a bike with a gun. Let the cop ride the trail to protect the people on the trail. At least a few days a week. WHile walking, wear a t-shirt that says " I carry a 44 magnum 3 days a week. You guess which 3! If you go to the trail go prepared. With a gun and pepper spray.

November 8, 2011 at 5:01 a.m.

November 8, 2011 at 3:52 a.m.
  • I live in this neighborhood no cops knocked on my door. I stopped running the track a long time ago after an incident with a man that made me very uncomfortable. I am part of the neighborhood watch and at both meetings we had I brought up this subject. I told the officers at that meeting that this trail was a assault waiting to happen. I am so angry that this young woman was attacked but I see why the attackers felt comfortable there. have you ever seen one police officer on that trail ever. Not asking for a regular patrol but at least an occasional run through. Do I blame the cops though No! I blame city officials who say yea! lets put in a trail but no provisions to make it safe. Put a parks officer on the budget and let him patrol the parks and trails in this town even if its only one or two days a week.

November 7, 2011 at 10:43 p.m.
  • hopefully the track these two animals asap

November 7, 2011 at 9:31 p.m.
  • Need Neighborhood Watch to cover the trail!

November 7, 2011 at 8:25 p.m.