Comments

• i don't understand how Downtown is "unrecoverable." i think it has quite a bit of potential with the business lunch crowd already present, a gazeebo to put on community events and a little two-block stretch of street to build on. it's only that the first-floor space is taken up by private business and not commercial space. replace the legal offices with shops or bars or little restaurants and it'd be a nice place to hang out.

November 19, 2011 at 12:51 a.m.
  • airmom, well put. Victoria has done a good job of distroying downtown with an unrecoverable effect. If I go to the bank, its by way of Moody. If you eat downtown, don't check the silverware.

November 17, 2011 at 7:37 a.m.
  • Victoria offers little for a tourist. The little that I hear IH 59 travelers say is how ugly Victoria looks from the south. US 77 travelers bitch about the confusing signs from both directions and how they wind up stuck in a jillion red lights when they miss the "bypass" signs.

That being said, if the focus was on making this a better place to live, a happy citizenry would be healthier than any group of outsiders.

Clean up Riverside Park.
    Go forward with the Airline Park.
    Patrol both areas (and the Hike and Bike Trail) with Victoria PD.
    Quit hopping out on 59 for speeders, and spend some time actually patroling the city.
    Clean up the area north and east of Victoria Mall, or at least insist the property owners clean it up.
    Make Downtown some place WE want to go, and visitors will follow.

November 17, 2011 at 3:59 a.m.
  • who really care's about downtown? i think the whole idea is stupid. if everyone had enough money they would all leave this town. i know i would. i went to the outskirts of fortworth a few years back and in about a 20 block radius there was 4 walmarts, food stores galore two to three huge malls. theaters, a wonderfull putt putt golf, and scades of other stuff. it was close to parks and just a great place to visit and then i came home to one theater, a wonerful park, yeah right, a crumy mall and only a walmart and one grocery store chain. this town is about as fun as watching rust form on an old car. if anyone asked me what is your town like i would tell them you don't want to know cause there is nothing here foe anyone get out if you can. and thats just my opinion.

November 17, 2011 at 2:01 a.m.
  • Beenworkman...u were there as well? Yeah it was disappointing, though some upsides (ie benefits...which i knew from own research). Also raises in short order. Was shocked at the.beginning wage though. Then again when unemployed....

November 17, 2011 at 12:32 a.m.
  • 9.75 to 10.75 ???

bwahwahwhwhwwwahawhwawaa

November 16, 2011 at 11:49 p.m.
  • Well I went downtown tonight to go to that Caterpillar jobs meeting. Our tax dollars sure do look good laying around on the street down there on those sidewalks.

That Caterpillar deal is a sour one. They said the only jobs there would pay $9.75 to $10.75 per hour.

What a buncha BS we were sold by the Mayor and VEDC.

Disgusting

November 16, 2011 at 11:38 p.m.
  • Newcowboy has a point, too. i'm often the only one sitting at a bar, or one of only a handful at music shows, or sit in an empty restaurant. what little Victoria has is sparsely attended. before any touristy stuff comes in, there has to be a demand for it in the first place, and i wonder if there really is that demand.

November 16, 2011 at 7 p.m.
  • I have a better idea.

Don't use my money to try and convince me I need to go downtown.

I'll decide if I want to go downtown on my own without government intervention.

November 16, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.
  • Didn't i just read that they got rid of Mr Ure for going to Austin for ideas on how to improve Victoria? Isn't that the same as Tourism? On the waterpark, didn't the Mayor say it would not create enough jobs? Not enough revenue for Victoria?

Our park, HA! More buzzards then anything. Oh and don't forget the litter of 10-14 cats.

Hell i got bills to pay, just give me some of it.

Mr Mayor, you remind me of Boss Hoggs. A greedy fat pig.

November 16, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.
  • there is no reason for the City to waste $130,00 to increase tourism in Victoria. I agree our Mall is a disgrace that's why people her shop in various other Cities because of the variety of stores and a change of scenery. Who really cares what downtown has to offer we need some acitivities for teens in the Community to keep them off the streets and it would be great if we had a really nice Water Park that would attract tourists and so would a Convention Center to host Concerts with well known performers and other activities. Another Skate Park on the North side of town would be nice.

November 16, 2011 at 11:39 a.m.
  • Tourist booths are so 1970's. Most cities are getting away from them. I like John Lara's idea of creating apps. What about working with Garmin or Tom Tom to develop something on their GPS devices that would highlight Victoria?
    How about a low frequency radio signal that motorists can tune into to find out about events such as market days, or the Christmas Parade, or the livestock show, or the recent Bootfest?

November 16, 2011 at 10:45 a.m.
  • If BootFest didn't get a 25-year resident downtown, signs & brochures certainly won't. I think the Mayor's anecdote emphasizes how artificial & contrived it is to draw people downtown with tax dollars. It's nothing short of a handout to downtown businesses. Plus, government simply shouldn't be in the business of creating destinations. But there's no stopping "Mayor Machiavelli & The Planners" from playing that same old tune.

November 16, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.
  • I wasn't surprised that someone has lived in Victoria for 25 years and has never been downtown. Given the reasons that Edithann stated,most of that can be done by mail or on line now. I get my car tags by mail. If you don't own property you don't pay taxes directly. Maybe she has been lucky about jury duty,too. There are other places to do post office business. As far as paying utility bills there are also other places to pay including mailing the the bill.
    If she doesn't read or care to associate with the homeless, she wouldn't go to the library. I haven't been there in years either. My attorney's office is downtown if I need him. If you want a passport you have to go to the post office building to apply. If you really think about it,you can believe this lady may be telling the truth. Anywya,why should she not tell the truth about something so mundane?
    Patrick Barnes

November 16, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.
  • "23,000 vehicles drive south from the Inez rest area each day. "

Of course they do! Back and forth to Houston and Mexico.

In order to have a Tourism Bureau you have to actually have something to tour. Let's get real......what in the world of tourism does Victoria have to offer?

November 16, 2011 at 10:02 a.m.
  • I don't think the City Council really takes this seriously. If they did, they would listen and actually hear what residents have to say. There are no attractions in Victoria. The mall is a disgrace. We need more grocery stores. It's a lovely place to raise children, but why on earth would a tourist come here? Give them a map to all the vacant strip malls in town, maybe they can figure out what to do with them. And what the heck was Bootfest about?

November 16, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.
  • Perception is many times reality. If we see Victoria as a non-destination city – with nothing to attract others – that is what it will be. Do we as individuals do anything to change that? Always wonder when I see the window roll down and trash coming flying out of a car whether that person comments on the Advocate site about how trashy Victoria is. How about the person that complains about no shopping – yet spends all their money in Sugarland, Stafford, and Houston. And let us not forget about those complaining about nothing to do – yet never attend what there is to do.

Victoria changes when residents of Victoria decide it will change.

November 16, 2011 at 9:20 a.m.
  • Being a life long resident of Victoria it saddens me to say that there is really not anything tourist worthy here. The Riverwalk project that was considered many years ago would have put us on the map, so to speak, and the recently proposed and shot down water park idea might have been something. Apart from a few historic homes there is just nothing here. In my opinion, the best thing Victoria can do at this point, is try and make the city a nice place to live. Begin by instituting an ordinance that requires the demolition of commercial buildings that remain vacant for a year. So many have become eyesores..for example take a look at the old Dales Kawasaki building on Rio Grande. Fix the streets, clean up the weedy lots, fix the drainage issues that cause street flooding with any moderate rainfall, etc. Zoning should probably be seriously considered. Anyway...that is my two cents.

November 16, 2011 at 9:09 a.m.
  • I agree that it is a little far-fetched, this story about the woman who has lived here for 25 years and had never gone downtown.

That would mean she's never bought tags for her car, patronized the public library, utilized the downtown post office, been called to jury duty, early voted or paid her gas bill or electricity at those once downtown offices.

I suppose it is possible, but it does sound very unlikely and that is what I thought last night when I heard it. However, if it is indeed true, I don't think it was a lack of signage that kept her from going downtown.

November 16, 2011 at 8:18 a.m.
  • The issue with how these funds are spent is that because they are from the hotel motel taxes they must be spent on items that attract or build upon tourism, or heads in beds. They can't be used for city infrastructure, gang prevention, job creation, or street improvement. The rules and regulations for how these funds are spent are mandated by the state so council is has very specific guidelines for what they can spend them on.

November 16, 2011 at 7:13 a.m.
  • yeah, i'm sure the reason that person had never been downtown in 25 years was lack of signage.

the Visitor's Bureau in the city i used to live in offered free audio CDs to visitors. pop one in your car and it gave you directions while also describing areas of town. seems a lot simpler and cheaper than just repainting a bunch of signs, as if that's going to do anything.

does the mayor really think that the reason people don't visit Victoria is that they don't know it exists? the mayor is willfully ignoring the fact that there isn't a REASON to stop.

what about community surveys? what about going to neighbouring towns and asking what we can do to attract people to this town? what have those answers been? have most people seriously answered "More historical information" ??

this simple article has me wanting to throw my computer out my window. if the City is going to start looking at ways to improve tourism here (how sad that it also apparently needs to market Victoria to its own residents!), it should start from the ground-up, and not begin with the assumptions of a diluted mayor who apparently thinks that a bigger arrow pointing to town is what's going to drive people here.

if the mayor asked me to visit Victoria, i would ask "Why?" i'd very much like to hear that answer, and i can only hope there is more to that answer than "To read a bunch of signs on the sidewalk."

when i first moved here, a friend of mine came with me and his reaction on driving through town was "This is it? It's terrible." funny he didn't mention wanting more historical information. my parents came down to see Victoria recently. only their second day here and they were looking into what neighbouring towns had to offer. again, no mention of needing further historical information.

November 16, 2011 at 1:21 a.m.
  • John Lara for Mayor.

November 16, 2011 at 12:31 a.m.

November 15, 2011 at 11:58 p.m.
  • pilot....its cars "in town" lol.....I saw that shoe polished on cars more than once on my journeys south.

November 15, 2011 at 10:14 p.m.
  • Shouldn’t that $130,000 go to gang/crime prevention? Better yet, why not on new jobs? I am just saying.

November 15, 2011 at 10:04 p.m.
  • I saw the counter up by the rest stop but shouldn't you count the cars that actually stop and not the cars simply driving by ?

November 15, 2011 at 9:12 p.m.