Comments

• Jags, what should they be counted as then? Since I've already addressed your earlier questions, I'd still like to know why those students in sugar land who are enrolled and will get a degree from UHV shouldn't be counted as UHV students.

November 23, 2011 at 6:25 p.m.
  • I have done some research and spoken to UHV "insiders", and just as I have suspected, according to people very close to UHV this story is nothing more than a sugar coated spin job at it's best. There's no justification whatsoever for counting any of these students as UH Victoria students.

November 22, 2011 at 10:35 a.m.
  • 3 years: the length of time UHV has left in Sugar Land. I've been told UH main campus will install a business program at SL. If so, UHV will be pushed out so there will be enough numbers in the UH classes. Hope SL really wants what they're going to get. UH main has admission standards that most SL students won't meet.

November 21, 2011 at 9:29 p.m.
  • Sorry I missed the news release. So Vox, what is the enrollment of students that attend classes at the Victoria campus for the fall 2011?

November 19, 2011 at 11:36 p.m.
  • bighorn...There was a recent news release that said enrollment IN Victoria has increased 18% since last year.

November 19, 2011 at 9:52 p.m.
  • Understood, Jigg. The Victoria campus' numbers need to stand on their own, and not be folded in with others. I hope Victoria's numbers have grown, or at least remained stable. Otherwise, as a state taxpayer, I would have to scrutinize it being downsized.

As I see it, misrepresentation of local enrollment numbers only leads to distrust of not only ANY firgures presented, but also that of the Presentor.

November 19, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.
  • Thanks for pointing out the need for office space Sgt.Jigg.

Since that office space won't be needed anymore the partitions can be taken down to create more class/lab space in the existing, already under utilized UHV-Victoria Campus buildings.

November 18, 2011 at 4:39 p.m.
  • @Kayla Bell,

Can you help me answer these questions:

1.) "UH moves to take over leadership of Sugar Land campus". What leadership was running UH Sugarland before this "takeover"?

2.) "This is a win-win," UHV President Philip Castille said in the news release. "There will be no diminishment of our program offerings, and our programs will continue to meet the needs of Fort Bend County."

How exactly is this a win-win? What benefit does UHV get?

3.) Why and how does UHV count students that attend there, since it now will be UH-Sugarland? Why wouldn't they be considered UH-Sugarland students?

4.) This whole story doesn't make any sense, and certainly isn't woirthy of being front page news. According to the posters on this site, nothing changes and there is no significance at all to this change? Still confused as to what actually changed?

November 18, 2011 at 2:44 p.m.
  • Bighorn,

I agree UHV hasn't always been clear about enrollment in Victoria but the administration for programs in SL and Cinco Ranch is in Victoria and that has resulted in the need for office space in Victoria.

As UHV grows in Victoria the need for space increases as well, especially as growth also continues to occur in SL and CR.

The way Hudson and others tried to use the total numbers to build their case was not right, in my opinion but it doesn't mean growth is not occuring in Victoria.

The issue I see in this story is that UH has a double standard in addressing the needs/wants of a community.

November 18, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.
  • Huge difference, Jigg. ExxonMobil, et. el, are not justifying their ballooning budgets and pudgy administrators from the Taxpayer.

The means by which UHV and it's Allies have justified their demands for MORE (money, land, buildings, etc) is through their inflated enrollment numbers, which fail to mention that a huge percentage comes from outside the local campus.

November 17, 2011 at 10:59 p.m.
  • Bighorn,

It does not inflate UHV's numbers any more than VC counting the students taking VC classes in Port Lavaca or Gonzales.

If I was taking UH Clear Lake classes at the Sugar Land building I am UHCL student, not a UH student.

Who delivers the classes and confers the degree is who counts the enrollment.

If I work for ExxonMobil in Jakharta I am still an ExxonMobil employee.

I believe I saw an enrollment report earlier this fall that showed over 4,000 students enrolled at UHV and about 1,000 in Victoria.

The 4,000 includes all students taking UHV classes regardless of where they are. They could even be online at the North Pole.

November 17, 2011 at 9:08 p.m.
  • Yes, Legion, I believe you are correct......thereby inflating the UH-V numbers beyond true enrollment figures used to justify boondoggle of campus relocation by Victoria officials to the patch of huisache east of 463.An issue soon to be revived by GOB(G) in the VicAd.

November 17, 2011 at 8:27 p.m.
  • The point is, is that you can live in Houston,Katy,Sugar Land,Richmond,Rosenburg,Wharton,Bay City and ect. ect., take classes at the Sugar Land campus and on-line and be considered a UHV student...without ever setting foot in Victoria.

November 17, 2011 at 6:26 p.m.
  • Well, ok Jags91:

1) If you attend the Sugar Land campus, and you are enrolled in a UHV program, you are being taught by UHV teachers (teachers who report to the deans and administrators at UHV), and you receive a degree from UHV. Why would that not count towards UHV's enrollment?

2) I'm not trying to lead anyone to believe anything about the Sugar Land building being a system campus. Look for yourself: http://www.sugarland.uh.edu/future/ab... There is no such thing as a degree from The University of Houston-Sugar Land because that 'university' doesn't exist. If you attend classes at Sugar Land, that means you're getting a degree from UH, UHV, or UH-Clear Lake.

I really don't know how else to explain this. If you get it you get it, if you don't you don't.

November 17, 2011 at 5:45 p.m.
  • @Vox, no I guess I really don't get it.

Please clarify:

1.) If I go to the Sugarland Campus, and am taught by the teachers on that campus, then why would UH-Victoria count those students as "actual students"? That concept is totally foreign to me.

2.) Don't you think the Sugarland City leaders who so adamantly oppposed the A&M take over, wanted the heck out from under the UHV umbrella? Why would have Sugarland's leaders been so vocal against the A&M take over if UH Victoria wasnt in charge of UH Sugarland? If Sugarland is a "System" school as you are leading us all to beleive, then why was it a big deal when UH-Victoria was threatned? The system wouldn't have let Sugarland go to, and why was Sugarland even a part of the conversation back when all this went down?

Bottom line here, it sure looks like the Victoria Advocate and their Editor tried to lighten the blow this story actually may have on the public perception. This is the best form of word twisting and half truths I have ever read. This was the good old Advocate trying to down play a pretty significant blow to little old UHV. I just cracked up when I read the front page:

"Sweeten"? Really? How. Pray tell me how this "Sweeten's the deal for UH Victoria?

November 17, 2011 at 5:12 p.m.
  • Three things stand out in this story, to me anyway:

1. "He added the university and community leaders have contemplated for several years the switch to clearer ownership of the Sugar Land site."

So they will listen to the Sugar Land community leaders but not the Victoria community leaders in identifying what is wanted out of the UH System?

2. "Its new name would be the University of Houston Sugar Land Campus."

If UH is going to have more of a presence yet the other campuses will still be there why change the name from UH-System at Sugar Land? Wouldn't this be more system if UH is getting on board?

This is the first step to a UH Sugar Land university.

3. "There will be no diminishment of our program offerings,..." according to Dr. Castille.

Will UHV be able to add degree programs over the next 3 years as it states UH will be doing?

No "diminishment of programs" is political speak for no growth of programs.

November 17, 2011 at 11:53 a.m.
  • I don't think many of you folks understand how the UH SYSTEM works.. Most of the students that attend in Sugar Land are getting business and nursing degrees. UH (at least for now), will not be offering those programs at Sugar Land. If the Sugar Land folks want a business or nursing degree, they'll still be UHV students.

"It makes no sense to me for UHV to include the enrollment from the Sugarland Campus in their numbers"

--why not RedRage? They are UHV students. If I enroll in a class offered by UT-Austin, but that class isn't physically on the UT-Austin main campus, does that mean I'm somehow not enrolled at UT-Austin?

November 17, 2011 at 11:25 a.m.
  • I told yall this months ago. I live in Houston and I have a co worker that attends the Sugarland Campus and she told me the UHS was doing this months ago.

UHV needs to focus on improving the main campus in Victoria....not some satelite school in Sugarland that is closer to the UH main campus than Victoria. It makes no sense to me for UHV to include the enrollment from the Sugarland Campus in their numbers. Those students could care less about what happens at UHV. Based on the 4300 students you'd think UHV was some bustling college atmosphere (small though), but it is far from that.

It's only a matter of time before UHV is kicked out completely from Sugarland.

November 17, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.
  • Hi guys,
    Just wanted to make sure you saw that the change in ownership will not affect how UHV reports its enrollment. UHV will still offer its programs at the Sugar Land location and still grant its degrees from there, according to the people with whom I spoke yesterday.
    Thanks!
    Kayla Bell

November 17, 2011 at 9:37 a.m.

November 17, 2011 at 9:21 a.m.
  • @vox "About one-third of UHV's 4,330 students come from the Sugar Land campus."

These campuses have long been an integral part of UH-Victoria and correct me if I am wrong, but it has widely been reported that the UH-Victoria administration was the admin. tasked with overseeing the operations at both UHV-Sugarland and UHV- Cinco Ranch. I recall Dr. Hudson being in charge, and as a matter of fact he use to spend several days a week at the UHV-Sugarland campus.

Either way, there goes 1/3 of the reportable enrollment.

November 17, 2011 at 9:18 a.m.
  • I agree with both comments. Victoria's enrollment is what should truely matter, not some inflated numbers from Metro Houston. I expect Cinco Ranch to be rolled in with Sugarland soon, so our local university leadership had better step and start earning their pay with more student numbers AT the Victoria Campus.

November 17, 2011 at 7:24 a.m.
  • and the fallout from "morrison's misfire" continues....

sigh.

November 17, 2011 at 7:23 a.m.
  • Sugar Land was never a "UHV" campus. It's a building, owned and managed by the University of Houston System, that serves as a location to hold classes for any of the UHS institutions. Now instead of the system managing it, UH is managing it.

Judging by the sidebar, UH is offering programs that don't have anything to do with the programs UHV is offering there, so how do you figure they will lose 1/3 enrolllment?

November 17, 2011 at 7:01 a.m.
  • "This is a win-win," UHV President Philip Castille said in the news release. "There will be no diminishment of our program offerings, and our programs will continue to meet the needs of Fort Bend County."

Someone please explain to me how this is a "win-win" for Victoria? I'm confused. This is a spin job being put on this situation by UH-Victoria leaders. This is a significant occurrence for UHV. Personally, I think losing 1/3 of your enrollment is a bad thing.....isn't it? There goes 1/3 of your revenue as well. When will they take the Cinco Ranch-Victoria campus? Is that next? UHV couldn't survive if that happenned. Sounds like the system is giving Victoria leaders everything they asked for and then some........

This reminds me of my Dad telling me "It's time to grow up boy, and face the world!" UHV better increae their enrollment locally.

November 17, 2011 at 6:39 a.m.