Comments

• The author is describing another form of networking which has been around for ages...First,if all the 125 or so ethnicities were broken down ,it would be easier  to understand...The Irish,Italian,Jews, etc, networked for connivence and their safety.....NYC and Chicago (I'm sure there are more) have neighborhoods called Little Italy,Chinatown, and so forth.

There is nothing wrong with  it and anything to improve one's ethnicity or race economic standing should be encouraged because those dollars remain in the county.

When you think about it,we are always dividing whether it's company v company or within work groups,religion,affiliations, and so forth and every Sunday we are even more segregated by race when we attend church.

December 4, 2011 at 1:17 p.m.
  • Written-

No interest in a debate.

My comments are solely based on my opinion; no more, no less.
    Re-read the comment of days ago regarding Confederated flag- I did not defend nor attack. Again, I only commented my feelings about blog's topic.
    Have a good day.

December 4, 2011 at 11:13 a.m.
  • Tophat.

What you post shows a lack of understanding. Just how you defended the csa flag.

December 4, 2011 at 10:16 a.m.
  • Immediately after posting comment-

Got me to thinking….

My wife just had a medical procedure; the doctor was middle eastern decent, the nurse was Hispanic, while my wife is white.

One of my doctors is Jewish. My primary doctor is white.
    The plumber is Hispanic, car salesman was white, the veterinarian "Holy Smokes- Female!" My local hardware store is owned/operated by Mennonites. Our aunt is white- our uncle is black. Should I not send them a Christmas gift? I would not be "sharing" in my race?

How am I ever going to keep it separated- keep my money in my community?
    Whole concept is hogwash.

December 4, 2011 at 9:33 a.m.
  • Seems the decision that needs to be made is whether one wants to be a "black" or an American.

Beyond that- there is precious little to talk about. I look at the quality, price, availability of any given purchase. Color of the owner's skin isn't in the mix.

What an I going to do, check the color of all the stockholders of Lowes and Sears? See what color the surgeon is before deciding who is going to provide medical care?

Wish you well in your goal of creating more "classes" in American society. Didn't work out too well for Hitler.

December 4, 2011 at 8:52 a.m.
  • The historical and current facts are that African American household income has always trailed the household incomes of white Americans in good and bad economic times.
    Simple math would tell you that if all household incomes were even if you had 6% of the population you would have 6% of the buying power. .
    But as noted, African American household incomes are less than the medium, African American buying power is less than 6% to the total buying power in Victoria Texas which alone is not enough to support a healthy African American business infrastructure.
    The best way to evaluate the buying power of African Americans in Victoria is to have all of the major employers in the area to give the public the total number of its employees, how many African Americans earn more that the company's medium pay, how many African Americans employees earn more than $50,000 annually?
    With these facts you could calculate a more accurate estimate of African American buying power or the lack of buying power.
    African Americans in Victoria would be shocked, disappointed if they had a visual aid that indicated how small a pie of the American Pie they really have when it comes to total household buying power, average earned income per family, and average personal net worth.
    Until the Victoria African American community addresses this "Economic Neglect" it will continue to struggle due to lack of buying power.

December 4, 2011 at 8:16 a.m.

December 2, 2011 at 7:19 a.m.
  • It was an interesting and well researched article. The concept of recirculating money within a community is well known. "Buy locally" is an example. I hope we'll get to read more articles like this in the future.

December 2, 2011 at 12:42 a.m.
  • Justamom.

You are either being navie or trying start trouble. Given your history on here shows a deep lack of understanding.

Whenever there is a recession or ecomonic downturn, it hits the minority communities first. Months before the rest of the nation. If it you don't believe me, which I know you don't, look up historical ecomonic data.

Having said that, I removed my last comment based on Surpemeone's last sentence.

December 1, 2011 at 8:10 p.m.

December 1, 2011 at 6:39 p.m.
  • What is the percentage of African Americans households in Victoria earning more than $75,000 annually as compared to other ethnic groups who live in Victoria? What is the percentage of African American population living in the Victoria area? These numbers combined indicate the true measure of African American buying power in Victoria, Texas.
    A very low percentage of African Americans work in the best paying jobs like manufacturing and chemical plants.
    Unless you are very fortunate and have a job that pays more than the average, you will struggle to make end meet. At the end of each month you pay your mortgage or rent, utilities, car note, gasoline, food, medical and any other unexpected but necessary expense.
    Having many African American businesses in Victoria is good. The types of businesses, or the balanced mix of businesses is essential in order to sustain the idea or recirculation of money within such a small ethnic group.

December 1, 2011 at 6:15 p.m.
  • These two statements seem quite ridiculous to me. Seems like two very isolated instances that are being presented as if they are the norm. Do the people in this article want equal opportunity or do they want continued divisions?

"Many times, black customers would stop by their booth and purchase nothing before proceeding on to a booth owned by a non-black proprietor and purchasing the exact same product sometimes at a higher price."

"You go to Chili's and have bad service, but you go back. You go to Mumphord's and get bad service, and you never go back," Wyatt said. "We have to learn how to do business with each other and spend money with each other."

December 1, 2011 at 5:14 p.m.
  • Supremeone, if you changed "black" to "white" in your comment and the article it would be a totally different article. Make up your minds, do you want to be equal or your own?

December 1, 2011 at 4:43 p.m.

December 1, 2011 at 6:38 a.m.

December 1, 2011 at 12:03 a.m.
  • This is very true. We need to recondition our minds as a black race, especially if we have the advantage of higher education. I strongly believe TV is what's ruining us. We buy into the hype of TV products & services of other ethnic-groups neglecting our own as well as our potential.

We should purchase less gucci, and high end vehicles & everything off the pricelist of the Bigger is Better Notion. Instead we must all offer to invest in the businesses withing the African-american community, as well as listening to our kids & younger family of the business propositions and ideas.

Internalizing the habit of circulating money within our community seven times before we spend outside, will definitely pump up the economy of blacks & empowering our spending power and ability to sustain our race & promote rapid growth.

This will create wealth for ourselves, families & generations to follow. This is the only application where the adage Divide & Conquer can truly show. Additionally, such actions will help us to create classes for ourselves and help us to be a super race and have our own elite classes.

November 30, 2011 at 11:55 p.m.