Comments

• I have no problem with turning back tax money to the hotel.

But, as to the other spending--wouldn't it be a novel idea if, say, the City of Victoria refused to do business with a company that did not offer incentives to purchase from them? That didn't give them fat rebates, offer deep discounts, offer free maintenance and such or no deal. Wonder how that would work?

I'm talking about the stuff that doesn't need to be bid out. The stuff that nickles and dimes the budget to death.

October 9, 2011 at 12:21 p.m.
  • This is out hand. I can understand the need for incentives in a competitive deals like Cat. Are these two competitive, meaning are they really weighing these projects against others? Come on!!! This is question or a housing need. Supply and demand are driving these transactions.

October 9, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.
  • My apologies! Updates to the Novel have been made

Chapter 1. The Walking Trail dialogues
    Chapter 2. Woodway residents know road handling
    Chapter 3. Bring your Boots???
    Chapter 4. Trphies-R-Us, the City knows High School Football
    Chapter 5. Caterpillar, have we got a deal for you
    Chapter 6. Parking for friends in high places
    Chapter 7. Medians, Yes!!! Unless they affect my business.
    Chapter 8. Nuclear War! UofH -vs- A&M and the city council
    Chapter 9. The disappearence of Bridgette Bise
    Chapter 10. Hotel Owners, have we got a screw for you
    Chapter 11. (coming soon, I guarantee it)

October 8, 2011 at 7:52 a.m.
  • JasonBorue- You forgot another chapter........The tax payer will be screwed!

October 8, 2011 at 7:01 a.m.
  • As they are receiving our city's money, shouldn't we have a right to know who Gulf Coast States Investment Corp and Victoria Affiliates are? No results when I tried to Goggle them. Who owns these companies and who is profitting from this deal?

October 7, 2011 at 10:25 a.m.

October 7, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.
  • JasonBorue.
    You missed a chapter. The Texas A&M/UHV mess.

October 6, 2011 at 10:36 p.m.
  • Victoria - A recent history

Chapter 1. The walking trail dialogues
    Chapter 2. Woodway residents know road handling
    Chapter 3. Bring your Boots???
    Chapter 4. Caterpillar, have we got a deal for you
    Chapter 5. Parking for friends in high places
    Chapter 6. Medians, Yes!!! Unless they affect my business.
    Chapter 7. The disappearence of Bridgette Bise
    Chapter 8. Hotel Owners, have we got a screw for you
    Chapter 9. (coming soon, I guarantee it)

October 6, 2011 at 6:53 p.m.
  • I guess it's a good thing this opportunity didn't present itself last year or the year before. The "Boot" campaign wouldn't have received as much funding from the HOT funds.

"Let's give it all away."

Who said that two years ago?
    Hmmm

October 6, 2011 at 5:59 p.m.
  • Seems like it really is a slap in the face to all the other hotel operators. I mean, tax money that THEIR guests generated is being used to bring in THEIR competition. That would be like using Armstrong Moving's sales tax to give an incentive to some other moving company to come to town. Wonder how Will would feel about that?

It would make more sense to use the HOT funds to get to work on building a convention center that would benefit ALL of the hotels (and many other businesses) in town, or set aside more of that budget for the arts and other organizations that bring folks to town.

October 6, 2011 at 5:25 p.m.
  • Will, sometimes says the darnest things. "...get in the habit of renting rooms in Austin." HEHEHEHEHEHE "Every day is a different day and every deal is a different deal." I love the technology of Channel 15. Go watch the October 4 for minutes 0 - 5 minutes. "What we are giving up is a part of the Hotel Motel Tax." Minute 6. I guess since it is coming out of the magic HOT tax ( and not the other hotel operators motel rooms) this is such a great thing.

October 6, 2011 at 4:46 p.m.
  • with hotel rooms such a 'hot item' in Victoria and this whole area why was this sort of deal even needed ?

October 6, 2011 at 8:44 a.m.
  • We must be in the end times as I seem to be in agreement with those that I usually verbally spar with... Haha,

I must say that with a hotel occupancy rate averaging 90% and an apartment shortage that there shouldn't be a need to offer any incentives to attract new developments. I choose to think the best of our elected representatives so don't believe that there are any back room deals going on but I wonder if they were out negotiated when visiting with these business representatives.

The only saving grace for the deal is that the incentives come out of the HOT funds so no monies are being taken from our city's infrastructure. I do wonder what the developers with projects of this sort already going up are thinking about now.

October 6, 2011 at 5:50 a.m.
  • I have to wonder if VICAD has the stomach to dig deeper into this deal and Victoria Affiliates ?

October 5, 2011 at 8:01 p.m.
  • I wonder what the owners of the Hotel/Motel next to Super8, they are ready to pour the slab, think about this deal.

October 5, 2011 at 6:06 p.m.
  • Denise and Paul must be up for re-election soon. I can't say I've seen them so much as question something the mayor thinks is a good idea.

Hmmm...apartment at Ben Wilson and Rio Grande. Let's see, there's a growing university right down the road. Clearly the investment group for those apartments needed an incentive (rolls eyes).

October 5, 2011 at 5:16 p.m.
  • Haven't we given enough of a handout to the lodging industry with "Bring Your Boots" and the Caterpillar incentives? These initiatives were supposed to bring a windfall of occupancy, so why are we having to further lure these two businesses? How would not giving the incentive to a hotel "drive them away" (per Polasek) when we're on the cusp of a boom. Aren't there profits to be had without incentives? At what point does the market get to determine which businesses succeed or fail?

Anyone else tired of our politicians' Machiavelli Complexes? (One of them will take this as a compliment.)

October 5, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.
  • I must have missed the parts about the 20% and the suites. Must have been covered at the meeting but not by the reporter.

I seriously doubt that the survey was even considered with respect to this project. I have a feeling this project was in the works well before the city even considered doing the survey. Keep stirring the pot.

I'd watch the "Indian" comments if I were you. Some might find that offensive. Besides, what makes you think Victoria Affiliates is not part of the "Indian Hotel Owners and Operators Association"?

October 5, 2011 at 2:54 p.m.
  • Im with everyone here...I am interested as well as who the Victoria Affiliates are? Will the advocate actually care enough to do a little investigative reporting?

The 20% is not necessarily a kick back, but a discount room rate for city organized groups....fairly standard for group block reservations (conventions, tournaments, etc). I used to organize discounted room blocks all the time for tournaments. Found the tax abatement more concerning than the 20% discount.

October 5, 2011 at 1:34 p.m.
  • Tax abatements are a joke !!

October 5, 2011 at 11:30 a.m.
  • The Rio Grande/Ben Wilson intersection isn't that desirable a location. Will this be quality apartments for family/married couples or just something thrown up to take advantage of the need of the Eagle Ford Shale boom?
    I agree that if we need hotel rooms and apartments that bad we shouldn't have to bribe people to build them.
    Patrick Barnes

October 5, 2011 at 8:25 a.m.
  • What is the Hotel/Motel tax money used for? Payoffs! Why do we give an incentive to a private company that will be making millions on the people of Victoria? Will they not come if the business is here without the incentives? I say no to the incentive program in this case.

October 5, 2011 at 7:06 a.m.
  • Advocate,

#1.
    WHO is Victoria Affiliates?
    WHO is Gulf Coast States Investment Corp.?

#2.
    Three of the 5 people who have now (once again) put the city government in the real estate development business are up for re-election in 8 months. Is this what the voters want?

October 5, 2011 at 5:26 a.m.
  • Hmmmmmm, let's take a guess who's associated with Victoria affiliated. This has 'Victoria insider' deal written aaaaaallllllllllll over it.

October 4, 2011 at 10:05 p.m.
  • I was wondering about that myself....that's a mighy long drive.

Are Victoria Affiliates affiliated with Victoria?

October 4, 2011 at 9:08 p.m.
  • Folks will stay in AUSTIN if there are no rooms in Victoria? Really?

October 4, 2011 at 9:05 p.m.