Could you pass the world history STAAR test?
The following questions were adapted from questions released by the Texas Education Agency for the world history end-of-course STAAR exam.
1. American and French revolutionaries both rejected the rule of a monarch and attempted to establish governments founded on the Enlightenment principles of liberty and equality. In the United States, this resulted in a representative democracy based on the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. In 1799, how did the outcome in France differ from the outcome in the United States?
2. In a letter to a colleague, Isaac Newton wrote, "If I have seen farther, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Which earlier work made Newton's scientific contributions possible?
3. What best explains why the Chinese built the Great Wall and the Grand Canal?
1. Unstable leadership in France allowed a military dictator to seize power.
2. The theory of planetary motion developed by Nicolaus Copernicus.
3. The Great Wall was built to protect against invasions, while the Grand Canal was meant to provide an alternative transportation route between the north and the south.