Opie #7 wear comfy shoes? Not boots?
Great post Opie34705!!
Top 10 things to contemplate prior to making the trip to Victoria for Bootfest on Saturday:
1. Bring cash. Beer/Wine is $3. Water is $1. Vendors along Main Street are selling food and soft drinks for reasonable prices. Although there are ATMs in the festival area, come prepared with correct change.
2. Bring your ID. Being a city-sponsored and County-endorsed activity, police are out in a greater concentration than the White House. Have it ready at the ticket booth on the right side of the tent and everything will move smoothly. In this day and age of plastic surgery and age-defying make-up, don't be surprised if you get asked for ID. Everyone is.
3. Know what you want at the ticket/beer booth(s). The wine is white, pink, and red. The beer is Coors, Bud, or Miller. It's all $3. The closer your wallet can get to a multiple of 3, the faster the line will go.
4. Park off site. Buses are running quickly and can move you in and out faster than you can circle downtown or find a gap in the barricades. For the sake of the kids, park and ride.
5. As an adult, I wish I was a kid during BootFest. Bring yours. Between the mechanical bull, the bungee-assisted trampoline, and the gator slide; I wish I was a kid again.
6. Appreciate the folks taking care of you. The ticket booth and beer both attendants are volunteers. They are there to help make this event awesome for you. Tip well and be patient. Most of them aren't professional sales or bartender persons. HOWEVER, the city and County have pulled out all the stops and the highest quality event specialists are on hand to make sure this event has NO hitches. If you have an issue, someone in a green shirt will un-hitch it in the most expedient way possible.
7. Wear comfy shoes and clothes. It is a city block between the bus drop off and the ticket booth. Walk another block to get your beer. Though the shows will be on time, the seats are non-existent. Plan accordingly.
8. Have a travel plan. Downtown Victoria is set on a grid pattern with a few one-way roads. Check the BootFest website for road closures and designate a driver. Take some time to see more than downtown and enjoy what Victoria has to offer.
9. Be patient. This is the first year this event has taken place and experience is being built. You may have to stand in line for an ID check, ticket purchase, and beer exchange; but if you are prepared with correct change, an ID, and a Miller/Bud/Coors product in mind; life will be much easier.
10. Be generous. This event is free and many of the booths are staffed by volunteers. If you like what you are getting for free (and aren't getting gouged on the price of beer), tip the ticket folks. It goes to a great cause and helps keeps Victoria Beautiful.
LOL Hicktoria....I was thinking, if the city was smart, they would plant a bunch of police right outside of the parking lots...Of course it does end fairly early each night so should not be too bad Friday night.
Bootfest has all the makings for a great event. To have FUN, to meet friends and make new ones in historic downtown Victoria, to enjoy good food and good music, to wander among the many and varied arts and craft offerings. I'm looking forward to it. Now there will always be those who, no matter how great it is, will find something to complain about. Can't do anything about that. It will still be a great time for the rest of us. Come. Enjoy.
Perfect weather, good music and cold beer.......its going to be a great time!
Here is the full schedule of events:http://victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011...
What time does Bobby Jack and Billy Joe Johnson and the Boot Busting Bull Band start playing?
Hicktoria, don't bash it, you have never been ... because it hasn't been yet. No one is dragging you down there. You stay at home or where ever you little heart desires ... as it is obvious (to you) that you are so much better than others. Geesh.
Lets see here, rednecks, gangsters plus alcohol in the downtown area. Looks like the city will be making some good money taking folks to jail. Convenient though is the the location of the jail. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Stay classy Victoria!
Hopefully a good time is had by all that attend. This is the first and if there are 'problems' this go round, hopefully it won't deter people from attending next year after some 'tweaks'. I wish I could be in town to attend. So Victorians, go kick up your heels (boots, sneakers, flip flops) and enjoy the festivities on a beautiful Fall evening.
15,000 people in downtown Victoria. I see a problem with space. That is a lot of people in a small space. I think it needs to be held at the park where there is more room for everything like parking, booths, port a potty's, etc.. Bootfest is a solid idea but the planning part is a bit on the shoddy side. But, I hope everyone has a good time anyway.
Today I was in San Antonio at the Ft. Sam Vet Clinic.. There were people who were talking about Bootfest. They had heard there were going to be over 15,000 people attending. I was asked if I was leaving town...