Comments

• XO, I haven't seen anything posted from dwayne saying he is going to vote in the election or that he is able to. I don't know but I imagine living in Houston he is registered to vote there. I would say that if the city attorney in PL was as stupid as the attorney in Houston was to sign a long term contract with a known corrupt corporation on a proven dangerous revenue program that goes against the will of the law abiding voters then PL has bigger problems than the cameras. If there is a settlement they should take it out of the officials pay that stuck the people with the contract with no out in it.

October 30, 2011 at 2:56 p.m.
  • I was wrong, I admit it. I wrote,this Band Wagon petitions leader of the pack lives in Houston.
    I see from this article and from archives of Letters to the editor (05/11/11 and 10/22/11) that Dwayne Buehring (formerly of Port lavaca) is co-founder of Port Lavaca Citizens Against Red Light Cameras not the founder or leader.
    Now, I'm no expert but Mr. Buehring how long have you lived in Houston. Have you changed you Drivers License to you current Houston address. Thanks to new voting laws passed by the Republican GOP, when and if you ever come to Calhoun County to have red light cameras voted on by the people of Port Lavaca. You show your current driver licsense and it has a Houston address are you qualified to vote in Calhoun County? I really would not like to see any voter fraud that would jeopardize your cause.

Now, and if your cause goes all the way and cameras are took down will the city of Port Lavaca be faced with breech of contract with the camera company and then the possibily of a law suit, I'm not familiar with it but what happen in Houston?
    In the Poll comments you write "your part OWNER of a business in Port Lavaca and you probably pay more in taxes locally in ONE YEAR than I pay in ten years". Now I'm not going to argue with you on that, BUT if the city of Port Lavaca has to pay legal fees, court cost and a Judgement (if any) to the camera company will the Tax Payers of Port Lavaca foot that bill? Will your ten years, mine and other cover any cost?
    The City of Port Lavaca is not perfect, I miss Waste Management I don't like this new company, and how many men does it take to replace a water meter?
    A couple of years ago I passed by Port Lavaca City Hall and theres "the culligan man" delivering bottled water to City Hall. What? city water ain't good enough fro City Hall. Like I said,"in a perfect world".

October 30, 2011 at 4:52 a.m.
  • I use to think the idea of these cameras causing wrecks was unfounded until I came to one of these intersections that had a short yellow light which quickly became a red light near the Post Office.

On any other intersection, I would have just gone through the light safely, but for fear of the camera, I slammed the breaks on and stopped just short of the white line.

If anyone would have been following behind me, they would have likely rear-ended my truck. This changed my mind about the safety of these red light cameras.

Concerning the 3 seconds, state law says nothing about 3 seconds.
    Sec. 544.007. TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS IN GENERAL.
    (d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
    (1) turn right; or
    (2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

October 29, 2011 at 11:04 p.m.
  • "in a perfect world"
    We would not need red light cameras, no red lights, no stop signs, no tickets anf fines but this ain't a perfect world. I live in port Lavaca, Born and Raised. I drive these intersections day and night, never got a ticket. Just like anybody else I stop on red and do not play chicken when the light turns green to yellow.
    What really gets me!, is this Band Wagon petitions leader of the pack lives in Houston (formerly of Port Lavaca), Move back to PL and better yet why don't you run for PL city council !

October 29, 2011 at 6:32 p.m.
  • We have come across many cases where people were issued a ticket for making a right turn and coming to a QUICK stop. We feel three seconds is the right amount of time to ensure that you can adequately challenge one of these SCAMERA tickets when you receive one. You would not beleive how many people dud stop yet were issued tickets in hopes they would just pay it and move on. Such a big scam

October 29, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.
  • Can someone post what the 3 sec rule is? If turning right on red you must stop for 3 seconds before doing so? Considering I go to Port Lavaca occasionally but go the back way, I would be interested in the 3 sec rule. I have never heard that it had to be a certain time. I thought just complete stop.

October 29, 2011 at 9:53 a.m.
  • What is this 3 seconds? Is that a state law? I checked on truck sales in Port Lavaca once. That was a joke. Went to Cuero instead.

October 29, 2011 at 8:36 a.m.
  • That's no surprise that the city manager and mayor has no comments. They are clearly for the money generating red light scam!! The Mayor said that he wanted the red light camera issue to go before the people but clearly lied when he came out after the special city meeting that would determine if the issue would be placed before the people and said "at this time he would follow the advise of the city attorney". Spineless is the word that comes to mind when you want to describe our mayor Jack Whitlow! I think he should take the same approach that our fearless police chief is taking....RETIREMENT!

October 29, 2011 at 12:32 a.m.
  • we were always told by the cities and camera companies how much people love these things, so why are they fighting so hard to keep it off the ballot? Maybe they need to keep the money rolling in for those tickets for going through GREEN lights! http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/35/3...

October 28, 2011 at 9:46 p.m.