DeWitt County family of five loses all in blaze
Oct. 31, 2011 at 5:31 a.m.
Updated Nov. 1, 2011 at 6:01 a.m.
HOW TO HELP
The Crossroads Chapter of the American Red Cross is accepting donations to assist the Davidson family who lost their home and belongings in a house fire on Sunday. For more information call 361-573-2671. Clothing sizes include:
Shoes: 6 - 6 1/2
Pants: 38 x 30
Shirt: 15 1/2 x 33
Shoes: 9 1/2 - 10 D
Mary Davidson didn't think much about the spark she saw when she plugged her electric stove back in after cleaning a burner.
But when Davidson turned back toward the kitchen from her bedroom door, her thoughts turned to escape from her burning mobile home.
"I heard something explode," Davidson said. "I looked around and the whole ceiling was on fire. My mother's antique dishes in the cabinet were exploding over my stove."
Davidson grabbed her 3-year-old great-grandson Ray Garcia and got out the door.
"I was terrified," she said. "It was all different colors and I had never seen that before. It was so fast."
The Davidsons, Mary and her husband George Davidson, daughter Theresa Davidson, Theresa's daughter Desiree Davidson, 12, and Mary's great-grandson Ray Garcia, 3, lost all their possessions and their three-bedroom double-wide mobile home.
No one was injured in the fire that began about 3 p.m. Sunday.
When Cuero Fire Department units arrived, the roof has already collapsed, said Cuero Fire Chief Butch Tolbert.
The home is about 12 miles from Cuero on Bellevue Cemetery Road.
Firefighters were on scene for two hours, said Tolbert.
A benefit barbecue for the Davidsons, put on by family friends including their children, is scheduled for noon Nov. 12 at the Cuero Municipal Park.
Plates of brisket, sausage, potatoes and beans will be on sale for $7. Donations of clothing and household items will also be accepted.
Call 361-243-2279 for more information on the benefit.