Newlywed Telferner couple loses home
Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:31 a.m.
John and Ashley Leita tied the knot in December. Less than a year later, their house was destroyed by fire.
The Victoria Fire Department was called at 9:19 a.m. Sunday to the Leita home on Leita Road near Telferner.
The house and attached 2,500-square foot garage were 90 percent involved when units arrived, said VFD Battalion Chief Roger Hempel.
Both the house and garage were a total loss, he said.
The fire originated in a gas water heater that malfunctioned, said Victoria County Fire Marshal Ron Pray, who investigated the fire.
One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion at the scene that was cleared at 4:05 p.m., said Hempel.
"It took a good two hours to get the fire under control," Hempel said.
Assisting the Victoria Fire Department were the Victoria County Fire Department, the Inez Fire Department and the Lone Tree Fire Department.