Comments

• kash--you are partially correct.

ALL citizens of the state of Texas MUST report any suspicion of abuse or neglect. It's the law.

Professionals are not held to a higher standard, but they usually have had some kind of training in their profession that makes them even more aware of the reporting requirements than say, the average person.

You can report to any law enforcement agency or through the CPS hotline at 1-800-252-5400 24 hours a day.

September 26, 2011 at 6:54 p.m.
  • How about family members stepping up to the plate & doing something? Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.....seems to me family would more helpful & convincing than strangers.

My husband works at a hospital where they have more CPS cases in their pedi ward than some towns.

Maybe, just maybe, if the government kept the parents responsible for their kids by holding the parents accountable for their kids behavior then maybe some would pay more attention. I find it disgusting that my daughter, when 23, had to still use my income to qualify for low interest student LOANS to go to college, was unable to get them because we make too much but yet my cousins child can have 4 kids before she is 24 & get all the government benfits available & her parents income are not even questioned. This 23 yr old girl has never worked a day in her life, all she does is spit out kid after kid, 4 kids under 3 yrs old. Her dad & his new wife have the means to step up but they aren't required to. Maybe, just maybe, that should stop & maybe the abuse, neglect & rampant lack of parenting will stop.

September 26, 2011 at 6:25 p.m.
  • siub,
    How would the hospital personel know if you were a good parent or not? Most abusers come in with some good stories about how injuries occur. As you said they know how to work the system.

September 26, 2011 at 4:53 p.m.
  • --"Teachers and nurses, doctors and so on would report 'at risk' families." and "A social worker at the hospital could already at the hospital meet with the family with the intention of offering support"--
    These ideas are already in place. Most professionals who deal with children must by law report any suspension of abuse. Hospitals have social workers who work with families. The problem arises once CPS is notified. Many times very little is done. CPS spends way too much time trying to keep the family together than getting children out of a bad situation. Drug babies are sent home with Mom to give her a chance to clean up, why not have her prove she can get clean before she is responsible for an infant. Get these kids out while they are young and not traumatized, when they are still adoptable instead of waiting til they have major behaviorial problems and are hard to place. One of CPS's problems now is just finding foster homes.

September 26, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.
  • Siub

I am thinking along the lines of improving systems that are already in place. Teachers and nurses, doctors and so on would report 'at risk' families. Sufficient funding and perhaps better laws that protect children's rights as opposed to the rights of parents.
    Perhaps even a program in hospitals that recognizes family situations that would benefit from support. This could be mothers with a current or past history with drugs. A social worker at the hospital could already at the hospital meet with the family with the intention of offering support. (psycho-social therapy, etc) Ideally this could start even before the baby is born. A part of prenatal care.
    I am sure anyone who reads this will finds lots of flaws, but I know that in at least one other country this system works with reasonable sucess.

September 26, 2011 at 1:52 p.m.
  • @Siub
    No, I do not have children. I do however feel strongly about abused and neglected children. I do not contend the right to bear arms/protect oneself and others. Altho to be honest I am not comfortable with the idea of guns, but I can understand why people feel a need to protect themselves. Alot of crazy things have been happening in the recent past.

As for the current topic here on this thread, which has turned into CHL etc I don't have anything really to contribute. As to Mr. Washingtons acts, they are indefensible. At the end of the day, he is an adult and is responsible for his actions. I usually say live by the sword, die by the sword. I have to admit that given the fact that I know him personally, know his family and know how they feel, I naturally want to find ways to explain his behavior. I suspect that even he doesn't really know why he did what he did.
    My interest in this topic is focused on how we can prevent excons reaching this point and how we can prevent young people from turning into criminals.

@Victorianbybirth
    I have no problem with what you're saying. In a way it is appealing, sounds like an easy fix. Except for the little matter of human rights.
    I don't know what the solution is. Parents DO need to be held accountable and live up to their responsibilities. Yet, how can we continue to stand by and be indifferent, when it is clear that way too many parents can't or won't take care of their children??
    Seriously, it breaks my heart. Children are always innocent. They deserve to loved and nurtured.
    Maybe we should just be quicker to remove them from the home. I do realize that is also an imperfect solution, but it infuriates me.
    Children are a gift and should be treated as such.

September 25, 2011 at 2:07 a.m.
  • lajensen, Instead of throwing good money after bad on the social programs that take responsibility away from the "parents" how bout mandatory birth control for those that are incapable of raising their own properly...that would be much cheaper with fewer victims.

September 24, 2011 at 10:57 p.m.
  • Allow me to clarify something first off. I'm not a Jason bourne via trained super assassin and I apologize if that is how I came across, the geo in the chest and one in the head was a generalization I used that I should have backed up. Maybe 2 or 3% of the shooters in the world could really do that. I cannot without a pause in-between shots. I am not how ever a gun range shooter either, however gun ranges do make it easier to burn through a large amount of ammo at paper targets. I am combat trained, and trained well. I can put two in the chest and have trained from 7 yards to 25. While never having seen combat, my hat is off to the vets that have. I have been in situations that required me to draw my weapon. I have never shot anyone and pray I never have to. When I broke the rule of if you pull your weapon use it. I stopped carrying my weapon for a long time. But the particular situation dictated that I did not fire and the police arrived within seconds of me drawing my weapon. It was not here in Victoria, bigger cities have much faster response times. So I apologize for any confusion or if it seemed I was blowing my own horn about something I cannot do. I strongly support concealed carry and do so like it was my American express card I don't leave home without it. Thank you for your time and ear.

September 24, 2011 at 9:25 p.m.
  • While I do not share the view that two in the chest and one in the head is an execution, I was merely stating that if your life or the life of your family or.even that of a complete stranger is in grave danger from a deranged armed felon you shoot to kill, not to wound. We were trained this way for a reason. Because the armed felon is not going to be kind enough to merely shoot you to wound you. These thugs on the street would be more likely to hold the gun to your head and pull the trigger. I'm not talking about nor advocating executions on the street. But if you are trained to use your weapon the right way you do what is necessary to STOP the threat and make sure he doesn't get up again. That's all I was saying, didn't mean to strike a nerve or start an argument about gun control. Like the bumper sticker I saw at the gun range I trained at said. Gun control means hitting your Target.

September 24, 2011 at 7:32 p.m.
  • 1. I'm a supporter of CHL on college campuses (with reaonable restriciton of course). 2. You have to be 21 years of age to even apply for a CHL. This should quell the stupid argument that we would have "kids" running around with guns on campus. 3. It's obvious that not having a CHL did not stop this thug from bringing a gun on campus. 4. Someone with a CHL would have, more than likely, had the mental capacity to recognize that Washington was shooting wildly and not at anyone in particular. However, the shear firing of the gun itself is more than enough excuse for someone to fire back in self-defense. Wake up Victoria! This could have been alot worse. Had this guy actually killed a bunch of students, (or your own kids) you'd have wished someone would have been there to protect them....

September 24, 2011 at 2:47 p.m.
  • We are talking about guns, not video games. I have no problem with sane gun laws and sane gun owners. "Two in his chest and one in his head" is not self protection. It is an execution.

I pray for the Peace Officer that has to decide which armed person to shoot can read the sign on the bad guys chest.

When you are being shot at those old John Wayne movies suddenly look pretty stupid. And only the the Lone Ranger could shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand and not little Jimmy in the head.

September 24, 2011 at 1:16 a.m.
  • Wow, it amazes me how little empathy there is out there.
    No, obviously CPS is not great, but cutting funding to social services won't make it any better. Scoffing about social services and saying that families should take care of their own just doesn't get us anywhere and in the meantime, children, I say CHILDREN are falling by the wayside.

We as a people have to stop only looking out for number one and realize that if we don't help out the less fortunate it will eventually bite us on the you know where. It behooves us all to be our brothers keeper so to speak.

For example, The document I linked is a comprehensive study of recidivism rates across the country. 1 out of 100 americans have been incarcerated in their lifetimes. 40% of all inmates return to jail within 3 yrs. Those states who reduce their recidivism rates reduce their crime in general.
    Conclusion, states that prioritize rehabilitation of prisoners (sometimes by spending more money, sometimes by spending differently) end up saving themselves money in the long run. Additionally, some if not many of these individuals will go on to get a job and pay taxes and thereby contribute to society.

Thats all i have to say for the moment. The negative comments made here just blow me away. What we say, do and post matters.

September 24, 2011 at 1:11 a.m.
  • Did IQs drop sharply while I was away? Simply implying that there would be a wild west shoot out with this career felon is ludicrous at best. My statement of if there were a law allowing concealed carry on college campuses that the criminal in this case would not have had the opportunity to fire his weapon at anyone. Case studies have shown that when an armed felon is confronted by an armed citizen in most cases not a single shot is fired. Criminals thrive on fear, and I'm sure he was thoroughly happy with the fear he was invoking in everyone involved. However had just one person been armed and able to protect the others in that gym the criminal would have fled without shooting holes in the woodwork. Personally I wouldn't have given him the option, I was trained if you pull your weapon in defense of your self or others, use it for its intended purpose. I would have put two in his chest and one in his head. No prison, no chance of him getting the opportunity to do something like this again . If you are a criminal and choose to pull a weapon in the commission of a criminal act you had better be prepared for those out there who have taken the oath, and the proper training to protect not only themselves and their families, but the other sheeple out there who would cry against owning a firearm in the first place. So in the event you are faced with an armed felon who is intent on causing you great bodily harm, and the police can't get their in time. Just thank the guy with the concealed carry permit who saves your life, and leave his gun alone, because it might be THAT gun that saves your very precious life.

September 24, 2011 at 12:50 a.m.
  • Maybe he heard that he was going to be able to be gainfully employed & decided prison was better than honest work....

September 23, 2011 at 11:33 p.m.
  • And employers won't be able to hold his ex felon past against him...they are now going to be put on the "special" list that will propel them above us poor law abiding folks.

So lajensen, I guess you think CPS is flawless & does their job perfectly.

September 23, 2011 at 11:32 p.m.
  • As far as life outside the pen being worse for this career criminal than when he went in is laughable. All he has to do is file for unemployment and welfare benefits and BO will take care of him for life.

September 23, 2011 at 4:22 p.m.
  • Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns.
    There is still a lot of truth to that bumper sticker.

September 23, 2011 at 4:20 p.m.
  • Interested- “So if everyone had a permit to carry a gun, then everyone would have been shooting....and I guess that there is not a case where a "bad guy" would get a concealed handgun permit and be just like all the other gun toting people on campus so there could be one big shootout and see who gets left standing?”

So you’re saying it would be like the Wild West right? Yeehaa! Your argument is the same one that was used to try to sway the Texas House against passing the CHL law back in 1995. So CHL has been allowable for more than 16 years, and I defy you to find one instance, just one , where there has been a Wild West shoot out since the law was passed. On the other end, I can provide you case after case where a person with a CHL stopped a violent crime. Let’s compare statistics and crime reports.

If a person has to pass an FBI background check, be finger printed, qualify on the range, and pass a written exam to carry a concealed weapon, why are they LESS qualified to carry beyond a brass threshold of a collage class? I’m qualified to be armed on one side of the street, but I’m less qualified or less safe on the other side of the street? You are either qualified or you’re not.

You say that you are all for just police being armed? How long do you think it will take for the police to respond once the call has been made? If you live through the violent encounter, they will make a report. If you DON'T live through the violent encounter, they will still just make a report. Bottom line, you are on your own for your safety. Don't fool yourself into relying on others to provide for your security.
    X

September 23, 2011 at 3:35 p.m.
  • Added note: I do realize that you cannot carry weapon on a campus even if you have a permit and I am against a law being passed that would allow people with permits to take a weapon on a school campus.

September 23, 2011 at 2:52 p.m.
  • So if everyone had a permit to carry a gun, then everyone would have been shooting....and I guess that there is not a case where a "bad guy" would get a concealed handgun permit and be just like all the other gun toting people on campus so there could be one big shootout and see who gets left standing? i am all for the peace officers being the only ones carrying a weapon - I would feel much safer that way than wondering if the guy next to me would pull out a gun any minute

September 23, 2011 at 2:44 p.m.
  • lajensen  - "I find it very interesting that some people think that adding more weapons to the mix would have been beneficial."

Being able to go home to your wife and kids at the end of the day is extremely beneficial. Cowering behind a desk hoping not to get shot is only beneficial to one person – mr. bad guy.  But I’m sure Lajensen that if you were on your knees begging for your life that most bad guys would be sympathetic to your plea.

September 23, 2011 at 2:22 p.m.
  • I find it very interesting that some people think that adding more weapons to the mix would have been beneficial.

September 23, 2011 at 1:43 p.m.
  • Well here is just one more reason for the ability of law abiding citizens to be able to carry concealed handguns in college campuses. Thankfully no one was shot by this clearly upstanding member of society. Although if not for the quick actions of that one student someone would have. All it would have taken was one responsible ccw holder and we wouldn't have had too worry about this career criminal cycling through prison AGAIN and being out on the street to possibly kill someone next time.

September 23, 2011 at 1:19 p.m.
  • Sergeant Jiggler,
    the same thought has occurred to me.

Here´s some interesting reading regarding recidivism rates and I didn't even have to go outside of the US for it.

September 23, 2011 at 12:23 p.m.
  • I am guessing that Mr. Washington was looking for a way to get back to prison after 17 years. Life on the outside has changed dramatically in the 17 years between his days as a free man and in prison he knew he had a roof over his head and 3 meals a day.

September 23, 2011 at 12:13 p.m.
  • roberttx, my gun in my car wouldn't have done me any good when they locked us all in. if i could have had my gun in my purse, then i could have defended not only myself, but also the other people in my buidling. we were all very lucky this time. chl should be allowed to carry on campus.

September 23, 2011 at 11:54 a.m.
  • And what about the families where there are virtually no productive members?
    I do not agree that social services don't work, especially if they are funded to do said work.
    With the continuing deterioration of the family unit, there are only going to be more and more children out there, at risk, with noone caring enough to help them to become productive members of society.

September 23, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.
  • I thought a CHL holder was allowed to keep a gun in his car while on campus ?

September 23, 2011 at 10:18 a.m.
  • Incredible! A convicted felon with a firearm? I can’t believe it. Doesn’t he know that it’s against the law for a felon to be in possession of a firearm? Hasn’t he read the Penal Code? And to carry on a college campus of all places. Doesn’t he know that it’s against the law for anyone to be in possession of a firearm on a college campus? Surely he saw the sign when he drove up.

More gun laws and more signs would surely solve these types of incidences. And God forbid we allow any of the adult students and faculty to be able to defend themselves from insane drugged up ex felons. After all, the government and the system are here to protect us from such evil things. We must all have faith that the system will be there to take care of us and protect us from harm.
    X

September 23, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.
  • lajensen,

Social services do not work. The productive members of Mr. Washington's family should have been the one's to step in and do the job that others were failing to do.

That's how my family handles issues such as these. We help each other out because we are a family. We don't rely on the government.

And we have had alcohol and drug issues, criminals, unemployment, money troubles.

At times we have played hardball and watched a family member go to jail for his crimes but we have also helped others with substance abuse.

Time to quit depending on the government and my tax dollars to try and solve all the problems.

It hasn't worked in Europe so why does Obama and others think it will work here?

September 23, 2011 at 9:52 a.m.
  • I was thinking longterm crime prevention. Breaking cycles of behavior, i.e. behavioral therapy, rehabilitation, psychotherapy. I am thinking providing inmates with access to programs that can help them to truly deal with their issues, rather than closing the door on them and forgetting all about them. In Canada they prioritize preventing recidivism (and thereby crime) and their recidivism rate is considerably lower.
    I'll see if I can find a link and post it later.

September 23, 2011 at 7:55 a.m.
  • "But in Texas, we'd rather spend money on building more jails, than preventing crime."

How do you prevent crime? Seriously?

Bars on doors and windows don't stop someone from trying to get in. Burglar alarms just let you know that a crime is being committed, the police can't prevent crime, oh they can delay it with overt patrols and a strong presence but they can't prevent it.

So lajensen, how do we prevent crime?

In Texas we have prisons that used to serve as penitentiaries where the prisoners were treated as such and were made to work. The Ferguson Unit in Sugar Land was self sufficient and the prisoners great crops, had a dairy farm, had a cattle slaughter house, they fed themselves and other prisons. Step in William Wayne Justice and now the prisoners have more rights than the guards that work at the prisons.

But I regress...how again do you prevent crime?

September 23, 2011 at 7:24 a.m.
  • I'm with the original poster on this one. We have way too little focus on rehabilitation in our prison system. There is a reason that the rate of recidivism is so high. But in Texas, we'd rather spend money on building more jails, than preventing crime. Beyond that I used to know Marcus way back when, I have some knowledge of his family life. His childhood and certainly his teenage years were very much affected by drug abuse in the family. It doesn't excuse his actions as an adult, but I can't help but think that if social services had been more involved, maybe he would have had a better chance.
    This whole business sadens me.
    Oh, and just an added note. I happen to know the parties involved in the rape conviction, and believe you me, nothing was as clear cut and dried then, as it appears to be now.

September 23, 2011 at 5:40 a.m.

September 23, 2011 at 5:25 a.m.

September 23, 2011 at 5:10 a.m.
  • desertvet...he committed the sexual assault PRIOR to being locked up in prison.....remember, he was on probation that he broke many, many times without consequence until the sexual assault. Seems to me he didn't take the law very seriously since they weren't locking him up for all his other breaches of probation.

September 22, 2011 at 9:11 p.m.
  • @ AltonEaston

Don't worry about him having trouble finding a job. He's not going to be needing one where he'll be going anyways.

September 22, 2011 at 8:22 p.m.
  • If he had been sent to prison to after the second probation violation the sexual assault may have never occurred. Even if he had to serve every day of the five years, he would have been young enough to find decent employment and reasonable chance for a productive life. At 40, life is going to be hard--especially in the current economical environment.

September 22, 2011 at 8:17 p.m.
  • Why would anyone defend this guy or his character ? He is an obvious threat to society and the decisions he's made througout his adult life reflect that.

Sadly, he will probably walk among us again despite that he attempted to kill someone yesterday.

September 22, 2011 at 7:53 p.m.
  • He should have got catastrophic health insurance.....Thanks Hussein Obama

HaaHaaaa

September 22, 2011 at 7:43 p.m.
  • How many of these 16 years were spent in administrative segregation.

September 22, 2011 at 7:22 p.m.

September 22, 2011 at 7:18 p.m.
  • Yep, the Texas prison system certainly WORKS, doesn't it ?...time to be SMARTER, not "tougher"....almost ALL inmates currently held un State Prisons and county jails WILL sooner or later be released. Understanding the way that our Justice system can take a kid that breaks a car window and rips off a stereo, and through the process of incarceration and dehumanization, helps nurture within them the propensity for violent sexual assault and gun violence; do YOU want to be anywhere near them when they are released?...Too, bad, you already are. Until Prison reform and restorative justice become as important to Texans as "lock 'em up and throw away the key" is; this is a pattern that will be repeated again and again...

September 22, 2011 at 7:12 p.m.