Comments

• Appears that there are a lot of rules/regulations/laws regarding credit/debit card transactions that we don't know about and/or don't understand. Gabe,get on this please?

September 25, 2011 at 8:17 a.m.
  • I frequent a couple of fast food businesses that charge a small fee for the use of a debit/credit card. I don't mind paying this fee because it is much simplier/faster for me than going to the ATM machine. Saves me time and gas.

September 24, 2011 at 8:49 p.m.
  • What law states for the minimal requirement? The one quoted in the advocate does not state that. It only applies to private entity charging extra for the transaction...which a lot of places in here violate.

September 24, 2011 at 7:32 p.m.
  • FYI it is illegal to charge a fee to people paying with a credit/debit card. The FCC forbids it. In fact if a vendor is caught charging a fee to the customer, the vendor can have their machine taken from them & can be heavily fined. A vendor is charged a transaction fee every time they swipe or enter a card #. It is also illegal to state that a minimum dollar amount is required in order to use a debit/credit card.

September 24, 2011 at 7:08 p.m.
  • The draft out of the checking account thing, I'm not talking about the city but another company that the ex has to deal with now.

These people would call two days after a payment was due and demand that a check by phone had to be made immediately, for a processing fee of $9.75!

"I'll mail it when I have it" I'd say, they'd say "you are in violation of your agreement with us." I'd say "I never signed a agreement with you, I signed one with a company that was bought out by another company and then bought out by you."

A $9.75 fee for a check by phone? That's just crazy, the two credit card companies I deal with let me do that for free!

September 24, 2011 at 3:36 p.m.
  • Do you all realize that city employees use a city credit card to pay for their stuff? My parents do a lot of work for the city and most of them use a credit card to pay for the goods.

September 24, 2011 at 3:03 p.m.
  • I let them draft my payment out of my bank account, and I don't have to do a thing. It's free.

September 24, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.

September 24, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.
  • So let me get this straight....by allowing the city to process my payment online and (assuming they have a halfway decent system) eliminating a need for a person to process my payment....they charge me more? Plus didn't the government pass a law putting a cap on processing fees at less than 2.85? Even before I thought it was a .5% fee? I know of several businesses (including a bar on Crestwood) that charge a fee for using a credit card.

September 24, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.
  • CORRECTION: This 1 percent tax will come into law on 1 Jan 2012,
    not 2011 as I previously stated.

September 24, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

September 24, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.
  • I was paying my bill directly to the city via their website until this "convience fee" reared it's ugly head. Since I do on-line banking with Victoria National I just started letting them do an electronic transfer. Quick,clean and painless. I was using my debit card anyway so there was no real difference. Try it,you'll like it.
    Patrick Barnes

September 24, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.
  • If you want to take the easy way out then you will have to pay $3 for the opportunity. That is the cost of doing business. GET USED TO IT!

September 24, 2011 at 7:55 a.m.
  • This convenience helps out the environment and our economy, by people not having to drive over to pay the bill (mail service, too). This same transaction is allowed, but only if you do it in person, baad. Then if you allow a bank draft, you cannot argue a frivolous charge, without it being charged to your account first and then they might re-deposit your money back to you. Consumers always lose.

September 24, 2011 at 5:46 a.m.
  • I wonder how much money is saved not having to pay an employee or employees that would have had to handle these transactions manually. With credit cards it is all computerized, in place of a person.

September 23, 2011 at 9:04 p.m.