Comments

• I do not agree with irresponsible dog owners. All dogs should be in fenced or secured yards and walked on leashes. They should be vaccinated. My yorkie will bark like a pit at anyone in the front yard or any other animal wandering in her yard. She's protecting her home.

Also, she doesn't like strangers in the yard. That includes strange children. We need responsible parents too. My dog is trained not to leave the yard...and so is my child.

April 2, 2012 at 12:22 p.m.
  • I'm not a dog owner, and personally I don't like pits. I just think they're damned ugly physically and temperamentally. I'm not defending vicious dogs, I'm defending fairness. This dog owner, whom lives just 3-4 miles from me, kept his dogs tethered AND in a fenced in area. That was above and beyond the laws in Victoria County (rural - outside the city limits). see http://crossroadstoday.com/State-and-...
    He/she was a responsible dog owner by definition of law. Now he loses his dog and I am quite sure this will not be pleasant memory for him to have to live with the rest of his life.
    Again I do not like pits and I do not know any of the parties involved. BUT if we are going to condemn pit bulls, ok ..let's not stop there. Let's do away with Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shephards, Chows, Great Danes, Boxers, all Bulldogs, Huskies and Malamutes, well heck, all hunting and working breeds, and Labs and retrievers if they have puppies to protect. Let's get rid of them all. Then we'll be left with,.. OMG..., chihuahuas, schih tzus, poms, and the like. Imagine that.
    Truth is when this child is able to wander that far from home, anything can happen. He could've been picked up, ran over, snakebit, lost in the brush somewhere, etc.
    Ok, enough said. My point..I'm defending FAIR. It's my favorite four letter f-word. Thanks.

April 2, 2012 at 9:26 a.m.
  • Let's review: There's no bad dogs just bad owners. The owners of bad dogs are responsible for their dog's behavior except the dog's behavior is due to the victim's behavior.

To sum up: no bad dogs & no bad owners. Bad victims. Bad victims.

Everyone is quick to point to owner responsibility but lots of folks have reasons why the dog owners are not responsible for what the dog did.

Lots of great photos of Pits being hugged but no history of the breed. These dogs were selectively bred for years to do what? What is HSUS suggested policy on adopting Pit Bulls from animal shellters?

April 2, 2012 at 8:02 a.m.
  • OldTimePhotos,
    Nicely said. I completely agree.

"There are no bad dogs, just bad owners,"
    Well folks, there ya have it. Even a professional dog trainer agrees with hmmm, 75% of the people who post on here? That innocent dog should have been left alone, it was in its own property. So actually, any people who post on here anymore about how bad pit bulls are, you go right on ahead and keep posting, since ya'll are the professionals and all. ;)

These professionals in the paper do all the research, they work with dogs as a living. They know for a fact that every single dog should be treated equally. They shouldn't be given a bad name just because of owner's stupidity.

April 2, 2012 at 7:27 a.m.
  • "Just because one guy did not watch his kid"

AMEN! I agree.

A lot of unfounded hostility has arisen

against multitudes of gentle,loving dogs of the pit bull breeds!

Dogs of many breeds have become hostile, because of their treatment by abusive people.

Dogs are all breeds are roaming
    the streets of Victoria, often chasing/aggressive towards people on foot.

It is totally unfair to target certain breeds, for laws.

As well, it was totally unfair to

blame a tethered animal enclosed

in its owner's yard, for what happened to that poor little boy.

Guard dogs are kept on an owner's premised to GUARD!

IT SHOULD NOT BE KILLED FOR DOING ITS JOB.

The father of that boy is the one

to blame for what happened.
    Past performance has been

proven as to his casual parenting.

The father should be prosecuted
    for child neglect, not kill an innocent

dog for his innate actions.

Yes, dogs that are allowed to run loose attacking innocent pedestrians

must be controlled, but there are

darts to knock them out for capture.

Shooting an animal dead on the city streets except in case of life or death should not be tolerated.

April 2, 2012 at 6:51 a.m.
  • We hear people say guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people and it makes sense. So maybe we should say dogs don't kill people, but people with dogs kill people. If a dog or gun owner is not responsible in their behavior then people get hurt.

April 1, 2012 at 11:01 p.m.