Comments

• I was one that volunteered in the search for kyler. I did it because I myself am medically trained and my wife was out there too as she is an emergency RN. We were there and out searching in the hopes that if we found him and he was injured we could immediately treat him and get him to saftey. When he was found, we were gathered at the staging area. I told a member of law enforcement I was a medic and my wife a nurse, and noticing ems wasn't present to let my wife and I help the boy. When he told me there wasn't much left to help I felt sick. And when another LEO said one or more pit bulls had gotten him I was devestated. I've seen a lot over my career as has my wife. But I couldn't even fathom what happened to that poor child. Fenced or not, that child saw a dog and didn't know that some dogs ( pit bulls ) could be dangerous, actually deadly in this case. I can't imagine what transpired in that yard nor do I want to. I treated a child who's family dog who had never been aggressive before almost tore his ear off. The grand father after making sure the child was going to be ok went back to the house and shot the dog. I agree that any dog has the potential to be aggressive. Even small dogs can be nasty. But I've seen a house in the county with a pit bull chained at all four points of the house. Soon after I had saw this said house was raided by the SWAT team due to drug activity. What were those dogs there for? I am a dog lover and have one of my own, she is trained very well but she is in my enclosed back yard behind a locked gate. I have no illusions that my trained dog is docile and would never bite anyone. Hence the fence she is behind. But should one Google pit bull attacks it would make for some interesting reading. My wife was attacked by a pit rotweiller mix. I wasn't home, had I have been I would have shot that dog. The owner told my wife "he won't hurt you" as he bit her and tried to jerk her to the ground. The dog was seized by animal control and he was cited for dog at large. But he got the dog back. There needs to be a Change mad to the law, no second chances. If a dog attacks someone or another animal in prevoked it needs to be destroyed. Maybe we can't ban specific breeds, how many other children need to be killed before we.can?

April 3, 2012 at 7:23 a.m.
  • I'm biased as a person who was attacked by a pitbull. This debate should be about the harm done by the bite and not the number of bite incidence.

Lets look at the statistics: http://www.scribd.com/doc/24436191/Do... . In this study, pitbull dogs were found to have killed 153 of the 345 people killed by dogs with the next highest being the Rottweiler breed at 67.

As a libertarian, I don't think we should ban the breed; but we should definitely hold the owners of the dog liable in both criminal and civil courts.

April 2, 2012 at 10:30 p.m.
  • "I still believe this guy owns the dogs for hunting. Those blabbering about fighting are doing just that, blabbering.

No, I dont know anyone involved in any of this."

You're uninformed and honest which is commendable. To use the word "babble" to refer to written discourse indicates a lack of familiarity with dictionaries too.

I've been hog hunting and I've seen a child killed by a dog. To have dogs of that nature and not know the danger they represent to children is an ignorance that defies description.

April 2, 2012 at 2:44 p.m.
  • My past two dogs were Dobermans. The next will be also. Mainly, it is breeding and the owners, the way you raise them. Neighbors and all said they were some of the sweetest dogs they had ever met. Socialize them. But they somehow knew if something wasn't right, their growl and bark would tell the story. Like the Dog Whisperer says, the vast majority of the time it is the owner and the way they raise them that is the problem. If it wasn't for their size the vast majority of the dog problems, barking and biting, would be the smalll dogs. They are not babies or human children which is the owners problem they put into the dogs mind.

April 2, 2012 at 12:18 p.m.
  • You should go on a hog hunt if you want to get your blood pumping a little. What those dogs do is incredible. I have a great deal of respectfor what these dogs and owners do.

No, I dont know anyone involved in any of this.

April 2, 2012 at 12:17 p.m.
  • I am still not clear on weather this property was fenced on all 4 sides. That is not what was reported. What was reported was that it was fenced on three sides. A fence isn't much good if it isn't completely closed in.
    Have any of you ever seen a hog hunt? This is a very violent "sport" I'm not even sure what to call it. I know it is necessary to keep the wild hog population in check but I do not want these dogs living anywhere near my children. They are raised to track down 400 pound hogs. Many many times the dogs themselves are injured. These dogs need to be kept in an inclosed area that they cannot dig out of or break a chain or leash.

April 2, 2012 at 11:33 a.m.
  • Chaining dogs makes them three times more likely to be aggressive. People who chain ten dogs are most likely dog fighters. This is not a breed problem, this is an idiot problem. In almost every child death we have had, there has been chaining involved. When are we going to wake up and start looking at the underlying cause? These are abused dogs! They are not pets. If you ban one breed, they will chain up another breed. This has been going on for a century. Before pits, it was Rottweilers, before that it was Shepherds, before that, it was Mastiffs and it goes all the way back in time to Bloodhounds, which were used to track convicts. When are we going to learn? Chaining should not be allowed. We can say that "chaining is perfectly acceptable," but then we are risking these types of accidents. As long as we want to allow dogs deprivation from socialization, children will be the most obvious victims. Chaining causes animals to become highly protective of the three feet of space in life that they are given. Chaining is cruel. Failing to socialize is a dangerous practice, and it is time that we as a society evolve. I testified in front of a City Countil in favor of an anti-chaining ordinance recently and I stated that children will continue to die. Here is another example. It is not the breed, but simply that this breed is chained more often than others at this point in history. We need to stop this madness, as it is only our own selfishness that can possibly justify chaining. It is unnecessary to ever chain a dog. If you can't have a dog as a proper pet, simply don't have one. The risk is too great.

April 2, 2012 at 11:20 a.m.
  • I wonder why someone did not keep watch in the area once it was discovered that there were numerous pit bulls, even though they were in their own yard, until the child was found in case he wandered into the yard. Neither the dogs nor hte child can be blamed - the child did not know better and the dogs were not running wild.

April 2, 2012 at 10:51 a.m.
  • I'm not a dog owner, and personally I don't like pits. I just think they're damned ugly physically and temperamentally. I'm not defending vicious dogs, I'm defending fairness. This dog owner, whom lives just 3-4 miles from me, kept his dogs tethered AND in a fenced in area. That was above and beyond the laws in Victoria County (rural - outside the city limits). see http://crossroadstoday.com/State-and-...
    He/she was a responsible dog owner by definition of law. Now he loses his dog and I am quite sure this will not be pleasant memory for him to have to live with the rest of his life.
    Again I do not like pits and I do not know any of the parties involved. BUT if we are going to condemn pit bulls, ok ..let's not stop there. Let's do away with Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shephards, Chows, Great Danes, Boxers, all Bulldogs, Huskies and Malamutes, well heck, all hunting and working breeds, and Labs and retrievers if they have puppies to protect. Let's get rid of them all. Then we'll be left with,.. OMG..., chihuahuas, schih tzus, poms, and the like. Imagine that.
    Truth is when this child is able to wander that far from home, anything can happen. He could've been picked up, ran over, snakebit, lost in the brush somewhere, etc.
    Ok, enough said. My point..I'm defending FAIR. It's my favorite four letter f-word. Thanks.

April 2, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.
  • I don't know what the owner is doing with ten dogs chained outside; however, he had them contained and they were in their own yard. The owner was doing what he was supposed to. It was a horrible accident and a toddler is dead. I'm certain his father did not mean for him to wander off but he did. It's no one's fault, really, but the people who accidentally leave their children in hot cars are sometimes prosecuted...maybe dad should be in this case...I don't really know.

April 2, 2012 at 8:25 a.m.
  • "IMO, anyone that has 10 of these dogs is most likely a hog hunter. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone considers a "pet" to serve the same function as everyone else.

In my experience anyone that has 10 of these dogs is most likely a dog fighter. Some folks use these dogs as a commodity for an organized illegal activity and selectively breed these dogs for hyperaggression.

April 2, 2012 at 8:17 a.m.
  • With all the animals running loose only 25 citations in one year. What does animal control do all day?
    I agree with requiring fences for all dogs. Get these poor animals off the chains. That should be considered animal cruelty.
    The sad situation with Kylar is like comparing apples to oranges when thrown in with other dog attacks. The dog could have easily been any other breed of large dog, he went into their yard. The owners who should have their animals removed and cited are those who have not insured their animal is properly contained. A cheap collar is not contained. Still don't understand if one dog broke loose from his collar how the second dog got out too.
    We should quit focusing on breeds and focus on proper care of animals.

April 2, 2012 at 8:14 a.m.
  • "Last year, animal control issued 25 citations and seven written warnings to animal owners. Most of the citations were for running-at-large, Kern said."

An average of 2 citations a month for a population of 60,000 plus and dogs are suddenly attacking folks on a regular basis? No mystery here. Lax/almsot nonexistent enforcement. Let Victoria PD issue a couple a citations a month for speeding and wait and see what the roads look like.

April 2, 2012 at 8:09 a.m.
  • Leave the pit bull situation alone already, let's ban all the Idiot drivers in this town, they can kill also.

April 2, 2012 at 7:51 a.m.
  • IMO, anyone that has 10 of these dogs is most likely a hog hunter. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone considers a "pet" to serve the same function as everyone else.

April 2, 2012 at 7:14 a.m.

April 2, 2012 at 7:08 a.m.

April 2, 2012 at 7:03 a.m.
  • I think if you are a responsible pet owner that is one thing but who keeps 10 dogs on chains as pets? I see this all the time and there isn't someone out there playing with them. They aren't hanging out on the sofa watching movies with the family or taking a bubble bath in the familys tub. These are not pets. Not sure what they are being used for but they are not pets.

April 2, 2012 at 6:59 a.m.
  • I think it's about time something was done. Little Kylar is gone and all the prayers in the world won't bring him back. The dog that killed him was a "sweet, tame animal". Who knows what caused it to snap but it did. When it did a child died it the dogs yard or not. That 4 year old should not have been able to get into reach of the animal. Children don't understand "bad dog" they see a PUPPY. I am a dog lover, but seriously folks someone needs to be responsable for their animals. Have a blessed day!!!

April 2, 2012 at 6:29 a.m.