Comments

• Gee, some people are dense. Certain dogs are on the "vicious dog" list and the "dangerous dog" list for a reason. Those lists don't just magically appear out of thin air. It's a compilation of statistical data.
    Of course, dogs that aren't on these list can also bite, but they haven't shown the blood lust that vicious dogs do.
    Here's the thing. Dog owners do not have the right to force upon the general public, their dogs. They have a responsibility to keep their dogs off of public land used by "PEOPLE". They can either keep them in their homes, in a fence tall enough and strong enough to contain them, without the possibility of them getting out of the pens. If they own one of the dogs on either of those lists, they have a moral and legal obligation to protect the public even when they have them on a leash on public land. They should be muzzled while out of their homes or out of their pens.
    They also have to remember that kids and some adults cannot read, so just having a sign on the home or fence is not enough. They also have to make sure that no one can get "into" the fenced area, especially young children.
    For those families who want to have dangerous dogs around their kids and family, I guess no one can stop you, but if, or when, something happens, don't cry about it and try to blame someone else because the blame will fall entirely on you.

April 3, 2012 at 11:06 p.m.
  • Nyc01,
    I do not understand a word you were trying to get across but what I did catch was something about the little boy (and I am assuming you are speaking of Kylar) having some disorder that made him fall asleep. Where, young man, are you getting your information? I have heard alot of off the wall stuff about this situation in the last few days but this is the first I have heard this. Please do not spread more silly rumors unless you are sure of your facts. Everything you hear or think you hear on the street is NOT fact.

April 3, 2012 at 10:52 p.m.
  • no its not about being a responsible pet owner its about the dogs. My dogs were raised close to me my dogs love kids nd get excited when kids go nd pet them. But only if im back there because my dogs do get over excited nd start jumping . The little boy should have been watched properly especially if the little boy had a disoder to where he could fall asleep at anytime. i love my dogs with all my heart they are my only kids because thats how they act like kids when they want something they start jumping nd crying . People walking down the street with there little dogs the little dog acts bigger than what it is nd starts barking and acting aggressive .. Oh but amazingly its the pitbulls fault because they are the bigger dogs nd supposibly have a bad record.. In the 70's they blamed the Dobermans.. in the 80's it was the German Shepards.. the 90's it was the Rottweiler .. and now its the Pitbulls ..

April 3, 2012 at 9:15 p.m.

April 3, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.
  • Ok. I apologize for the rant, but all of these problems are fixable. Listen, I'm originally from the "butt of all jokes" state of West Virginia. When I was a kid, we used to ride around in the back of pickup trucks and throw McDonalds bags from the moving vehicle. Yes, even I was once ignorant, but I grew up and now know this is wrong. To my surprise, I see people in Texas exhibiting this behavior all the time and it appalls me. There are these kids in Port Lavaca, hanging out at the bird sanctuary, complaining about what a sh*t-hole the place is, while they throw their empty soda bottles into the wildlife refuge! Who are the parents of these kids? It makes me so mad. Can't they realize, that with a little effort (ie:walking to a trash recepticle) could make/keep that place beautiful. The same thing goes for the dogs. Dogs are pets and deserved to be cared for and loved. People need to realize that letting them roam free is irresponsible. I think a good law would be that all owners of all male dogs MUST by law have them neutered unless of course one is a certified breeder. In West Virginia, if you had a dog it had to be registered and you had to pay tax for it and twice a year, workers went door to door to check for scammers who didn't pay their share and at NO time ever could your dog roam free. There was a dog catcher and if your dog was caught, you had to pay to get it back. Simple as that. As for peoples dogs biting people, they couldn't prosecute the dog, so guess what, they would prosecute the owner.
    Hey, I want less laws and government put of my life too, don't get me wrong, but there does need to be basic ordinances in order and enforced to keep the community safe and keep animals and their owners in line.
    If the backwards state of West Virginia could pull it off, then I have no doubt that a huge, powerful state like Texas could do it too.
    Let's raise our standards here and take pride in this potentially beautiful state! It's got so much promise!! It could just be so much better!! (even though it has tons of great things going on now) :)

April 3, 2012 at 7:20 p.m.
  • And as for the Parent of Kylar He will punish himself for the rest of his life. What about all the other people who have been bitten? Should they punish themselves for walking down the street or riding a bike or just being at the wrong place at the wrong time? I don't think this is about pits this is about being a responsible PET owner.

April 3, 2012 at 5:03 p.m.
  • NYC01,
    It is commendable that you say you are a responsible pet owner. I am curious where do you keep your pets? Do you have liability insurance on your pets?
    I thought I was a responsible pet owner to until my dog got out and bit a child.Fortunately the child was not seriously injured but he could have been.I don't care if your pet is a pit or a poodle if he bites someone you could be held responsible.

April 3, 2012 at 4:58 p.m.

April 3, 2012 at 3:55 p.m.
  • @ crustee,
    What has brought you to our lowly state?

April 3, 2012 at 2:35 p.m.
  • Yes, dogs are animals and all dogs have the animal instinct. But, makes a big difference how they were treated and trained. Adult supervision for all children and animals please!

April 3, 2012 at 1:08 p.m.
  • I'd like to remind vicm109r that the Texas state motto is 'Friendship".

crustee, there are Texans and there are Native Texans.

If you reside north of the Rio Grande, east of the other Mexico, south of the Red River, and west of the Gulf of Mexico, you're a Texan. If you were lucky enough to be born here, you're a Native Texan!

And not all of us are as 'friendly' as vicm109r.

April 3, 2012 at 1:01 p.m.
  • Crustee,
    I am a native Texan born and raised right here in Victoria. And as far as I'm concerned we could use a few more concerned citizens who are willing to make Texas their home and care enough about it to try to make it better for everyone. Welcome to the Great State of Texas.We have a little bit of everything here including some things I'm not allowed to post here.

April 3, 2012 at 12:10 p.m.
  • crustee,
    If you were not born in Texas then you are not a Texan!

Why don't you pack up and hit the road?!

April 3, 2012 at 11:38 a.m.
  • I'm new to the state of Texas. I cannot BELIEVE that dogs are allowed to roam freely in this state. Ridiculous and dangerous. How about instituting a LEASH LAW like every other civilized state in the union? And how about we take on the littering problem that plagues this state. I am embarrassed to have people visit me here in this barbaric state. It's littered and filthy. Most people take no pride in their homes and the places they live. They drop their garbage where ever they please and dogs run around free AND are not spayed and not neutered!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. My heart breaks all the time for the pets I see slaughtered on the roads here in Texas. ATTENTION pet owners, it is YOUR responsibility to care for and protect YOUR pet, as well as protect people who may come in contact with your pet. If you cannot handle the responsibility, DO NOT get a pet in the first place!!! The image of Texas is not a pleasant one. I know, because I've lived in other states, where people have their act together. I am a Texan now, and I'm calling out to other Texans, we've really gotta make some strides to improve the condition of this state. BIG strides. This state is embarrassing to me.

April 3, 2012 at 11:32 a.m.
  • Who's fault was this? The dog or the child's caretaker? Banning pit bulls would not have prevented this.

April 3, 2012 at 11:25 a.m.
  • Many years ago we had a mid sized dog that we kept in our back yard. Someone had dumped him off and we adopted him. Had him fixed and all his shots. He played with my young son and never growled at anyone or acted aggresive in any way. My neighbors son who was about 10 at the time started poking sticks through the fence and aggravating him. The kid was told numerous times to quit. To make a long story short the dog got out and bit the kid on the ankle in our yard.We called the sheriff and insisted the boy be taken to the ER to be checked out even though the Mom thought he would be fine and maybe had learned his lesson. Animal control came out and picked our dog up and kept him for 10 days. We decided to have our dog put down rather than take the chance he could or would bite someone else.

A few years later my nephew was mangled by his familys pit. This dog had grown up with my nephew. My nephew had crawled all over him as an infant and toddler. Rode him like a horse and the dog had pulled him by the diaper away from harm on more than one occasion. The dog was as close to a member of that family as you could get without being human.They slept together ate together and bathed together. For some unknown reason one afternoon we were all out in the yard and this dog came up to my nephew and grabbed him under the armpit and began shaking him. My Brother-in-law tried everything to get this dog to stop and finally beat the dog in the head with a ball ping hammer until he was unconcious. Only then were we able to get the dog to let go. Over 100 stitches later both inside and out my nephew was put back together.

My son was bitten by a neighborhood mutt who had just had puppies a few days before. We were walking down the street when the dog bit him. The bite was just a small puncture wound and only required cleaning at the ER. The dog owner was furious when animal control came and took her dog for 10 days.The dog was not up to date on her shots and the dog owner had to pay additional money for that before she could get her dog back. She did not pay the ER bill nor did she confine her dog. A few months later her dog was killed by a truck on the street and she was furious at the driver even though he stopped to try to help the dog.

My point is there are all kinds of dogs and all kinds of dog bites and all kinds of dog owners.Animals are animals and can and will be unpredictable. If you are a parent please never leave your child alone even for a second with an animal capable of inflecting damage or death to your child. And if you are a dog owner make sure you keep your animal in an inclosed area where children cannot get to them and they cannot get to a child. No animal is worth the death or disfigurement of a child weather the animal is on it's own turf or not.

April 3, 2012 at 10:11 a.m.
  • Very informative information

stubbydog.org :: /stubbydogs
    By Jessica Dolce
    Are you a politician or resident in an area where a dog-related injury or fatality has recently occurred? If so, you’re probably working to
    determine the best way to prevent this sort of tragedy from happening again. Right now it may feel like dogs are posing a large threat to
    your community, but what you’re experiencing is actually quite rare. Dog bites are at historic lows in our country and, as a whole, we’ve
    never been safer. But there are certain criteria that are consistently present in regards to dog-related injuries, so as you look at the details
    of the tragic events in your community, here’s a reference checklist for the ingredients that, when mixed together, have the potential to
    create dangerous dogs.

April 3, 2012 at 9:02 a.m.
  • Now we have a pitbull out there who is Abetting a Fugitive and robbing banks!!!

April 3, 2012 at 8:21 a.m.
  • Should we get rid of all these pitbulls as well, These vicious aggresive pitbull breed therapy service dogs?

please read article from stubbydog.org

April 3, 2012 at 7:54 a.m.
  • The County Commissioners would be better served by leaning on the enforcement agencies to enforce existing statute instead of attempting to write additional ordinances. With this flurry of dog attacks I have yet to see an enforcement action of any type reported in the Advocate. Was the dog that killed the child currently vaccinated for rabies as the State of Texas requires? What about the remaining dogs in the yard? If Animal Control cannot issue citations for leash law violations unless they observe the violation then why aren't they contacting the dog owners to confirm current rabies vaccination?

No matter how wise any new ordinance that the County Commissioners construct might be, if it is enforced in the same manner as the existing ordinance, it will be a colossal waste of time and energy.

April 3, 2012 at 7:53 a.m.
  • mkyellis,
    You say "I saw a house in Victoria county that had a pit bull chained at all 4 corners of the house. These were very aggressive animals. And said house was raided due to it being a drug house"

This is what all of Victoria is debating about. It is the owners making these dogs agressive!! Of course a drug dealer is going to have dogs like that chained up. Is this the pit bulls fault that he got raised that way? I really dont think so. I'm sure if you wanted to you could train any dog to be agressive like that, but the reason they don't is because of the appearance of Pit Bulls. They look tough, so of course they want a tough looking dog to train to be mean. Now you train a pit bull from birth to be sweet, and they are just going to be a tough looking dog that is like a teddy bear inside. Once again, it is not the dogs who make them who they are, it is the OWNERS!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2012 at 7:38 a.m.
  • While the incidents lately have related specifically to pit bulls, it is important to remember that nearly ANY breed, down to a rat terrier, can be vicious if trained to be vicious.

The pit bulls chained to all four corners of a house were, in all probability, specifically there to raise an alarm and/or cause harm to anyone approaching the house unannounced.

I am a dog-owner, and love nearly almost every breed of dog. However, I am absolutely terrified of German Shepherds, having been attacked by two when I was a child. I think they are beautiful dogs, they are used as assistance dogs, but I would never in a million years have one, simply because of my experience. I am also afraid of doberman pincers, and I know owners who absolutely adore theirs. It's not always just the BREED of dog, it is the owners who make the dog vicious.

Owners must be made responsible, especially if their animal falls into a category considered more aggressive. The absolute requirement of "ban/destroy all pit bulls" is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction. No, it was not my child. I would be devastated if it were. I cannot offer enough condolences to the father of the little boy. I have lost a child and understand the emotions.

A community effort is required. Parents - teach your children not to go into other people's yards to play with their dogs (or cats, for that matter). Animal owners (and that goes for all you cat owners out there) keep your animals fenced up securely (or inside your house) - I can't stand it when I see dogs chained up. Animal control - actually respond when a citizens calls in to report a vicious dog, and don't give the public the excuse "it is the weekend, we don't have an animal control officer available." If an owner does not confine (NOT chain) their animal (even cats), fine the owner a substantial fine.

If all these comments and emotions don't get under control, a mob mentality may take over and cause someone to threaten or injure any owner of a pit bull, even if the dog in question has never shown any aggressive quality. If that happens, that will be the saddest day Victoria has ever seen.

April 3, 2012 at 7:35 a.m.
  • I was out looking for that child with my wife whoattended the commissioner court. I want to address the person who asked where the parent was of the boy that got killed. He was looking for his son, I see no need for pit bulls, I saw a house in Victoria county that had a pit bull chained at all 4 corners of the house. These were very aggressive animals. And said house was raided due to it being a drug house. So tell me what those dogs were there for? I would vote in a second to ban these animals.

April 3, 2012 at 6:28 a.m.