Comments

• cnn story on the small texas town robbing travelers

April 5, 2012 at 12:05 p.m.
  • very recently there was a east texas town between houston and shreveport pulling over cars and 'confiscating' cash. it was nothing but a huge racket, modern day piracy.

April 5, 2012 at 12:01 a.m.
  • @roberttx

I think it has more to do with the concealment of the money and the way it is packaged (which troopers said was consistent with drug trafficking) more so than the amount.

But regardless, if I had that much money just to tote around, I would probably put it in the bank, not risk misplacing it or having someone steal it.

April 4, 2012 at 1:54 p.m.
  • White OLD LADY female, got stopped for not making complete stop at a stop sign, and once for making a wide turn, which means I turned corner and did not stay in the far right lane (making a right turn), I went into the other lane instead.
    Maybe that means I was being profiled here, because it seems like no matter what the police do, it is wrong in everyone's opinion. I happen to think our police, sheriff and dps are doing a GREAT job of keeping us safe.

April 4, 2012 at 1:09 p.m.
  • jasonbourne wrote:
    "You people are hilarious"

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the comments here.

jason, you actually got pulled over for "no signal lane change"??
    I didn't think the cops even cared about that as often as I see that happening when I drive in this town!!

I too was pulled over numerous times (7 in the past 10yrs) and have not received one ticket. And a couple of those times I was speeding a lot!
    I think it's due to a certain action I do as the cop is approaching my vehicle. Something I learned in a defensive driving course, and before ya'll start jumping to conclusions I was taking the course for insurance discounts, not to get a ticket removed, unlike the rest of the class!!

April 4, 2012 at 12:05 p.m.
  • I'm one of the white people that doesn't get away with everything I do.

2007 - Pulled over 3 times. Twice for speeding, Once for lane change no blinker.
    2008 - Pulled over once for speeding.
    2009 - Pulled over for lane change and no blinker
    2010 - Pulled over for driving erratically (swerving)
    2011 - Speeding and failure to use blinker

Here is the good part, no tickets for any of them and they only searched my car two times out of all that. I wasn't acting stupid and didn't have more than $5.00 cash on me.

I think I am being profiled because I'm white. Does that sound stupid? Yes it does, because the cops are trying to catch bad guys. It just so happens we got lots of brown bad guys around here.

If you people haven't noticed this is like a major feeder for drugs and illegals. If I was a cop, I could probably spot either just with a quick glance. You people are hilarious.

Great job Cops! Including the times when you stopped me.

April 4, 2012 at 10:13 a.m.
  • My daughter, a teenage white girl, was stopped by DPS for speeding. He followed her for 3 miles from where she was "speeding" before he stopped her. She and her friend had to stand in the ditch while he searched her car (with permission). He found nothing, gave her a warning for speeding, and let her go.

April 4, 2012 at 9:43 a.m.
  • I wonder if someone could find the stats for how many white people get pulled over and searched for not using their blinker.

April 4, 2012 at 7:58 a.m.
  • Look up Currency Transaction Report and Suspicious Activity Report.

You can carry as much you want on flights but anything over $10k you have to report to Customs if you are arriving into the US. Outside the US it can be as small as $3k. You have to fill out Form 4790 and submit it to Customs at the point of entry or departure.

They have Form W-2G, which is given when gambling winnings exceed certain dollar amounts for various types of games and wagering, or Form 5754, which you get when there's more than one person sharing the winnings, such as a group of friends sharing a lottery ticket. If you win a prize rather than cash, you're supposed to report the cash value of the prize.

If you hit for $1200 or more on a slot machine in a casino like in Vegas (or $600 on horse races, or $1500 in keno), then the casino will give you a W2-G form. They know when you win, so walking out will not happen.

And you have to carry a lot of cash (which is not very wise) expect delays or stops and prepared to prove that the money is legitimately yours - bank statements etc.

April 4, 2012 at 1:33 a.m.
  • of course having the money under the hood is a dead give away but what if a person makes 250 to 300k and has 40k in a backpack. heading to houston to buy jewelery / watches / antiques with cash ?

April 3, 2012 at 9:46 p.m.
  • Guilty until you prove yourself innocent? Is that how it works now? The driver was stupid for agreeing to the search, but yeah, how much money can you have without being arrested? We know $40K is too much; how 'bout 25? No? Maybe 15? Getting warmer but you still go to the pokey. Is the amount anything that won't fit in your wallet? A few hundred and you're okay, but if it won't fit the wallet, you go to jail? I think the guy should go for a jury trial.

April 3, 2012 at 7:58 p.m.
  • I was just fixing to ask that same question that Roberttx asked..I'm guessing because the money was hidden they are assuming it was drug money..Hope I don't ever get stopped with 40,000 bucks in my presense because I sure don't want to go to jail for having to much money..That'll be the day .LOL!

April 3, 2012 at 7:22 p.m.
  • so now im curious, what's the cut off for the amount of cash you can carry without it being confiscated ?

April 3, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.