GC: 5 options to a nontraditional Mother's Day
Mother's Day often lends itself to brunch or breakfast in bed. This year, avoid the hassle of joining the rest of the world at the restaurants and make Mom's special day something different. Here's a quick guide to Mother's Day alternatives:
1. Picnic in the park. Pack a picnic basket and a big blanket for Mother's Day. An afternoon at the park won't break the bank and won't exhaust all the fuel in the gas tank. The Golden Crescent has many parks that offer shade for picnickers and a lot of natural scenery.
2. Be beach bums. Visit a beach for some fun in the sun. There is so much access to the water here in the Golden Crescent. There is Port O'Connor, Port Lavaca, Magnolia Beach and neighboring beaches in Port Aransas and Rockport. Pick one or two and make a day of fishing or playing in the water.
3. Soothe her stress. Let Mom relax with a massage or a facial treatment while the house gets cleaned up. A day without having to lift a finger can be like a day in heaven.
4. Make it a movie moment. Moms need quiet time, too. What's better than a big dark theater where she can sink heavily into the seat and enjoy the best of both worlds - salty popcorn and sweet treats? Maybe she wants to watch a chick flick, enjoy a romantic movie with Dad or a comedy the whole family can watch. Allow her mood to do the decision-making.
5. Let Mom decide. Finding something Mom will like may not always be the easiest thing. Moms know what they want, so let them choose what the day holds. Maybe she wants to go shopping or visit the grandparents - leave it in her hands.