Comments

April 19, 2012 at 1:17 p.m.
  • First of all, Lysander Spooner was a hypocrite and two faced. Just because someone disagrees with libertarians doesn’t mean he is a sheep or don’t know Liberty. These raids are nothing more than election year pandering to soccer moms and the country club types. If these items were such an issue; then why make the raid now and not in 2011, in 2010, or in 2009? I blame Victoria Advocate reporters for not asking that question.

I, for one, am not for the War on Drugs, especially on how it is run now. However, I say this. These items should be banned from being sold to minors and nothing more. Until some of yall, Wayardwind, Jimi Dollar, and others actually see the effects of drugs on the family, then you would questioned your ideology about drugs. If a man gave his wife aids after having sex with a hooker, then he and the hooker must go to jail. If a drug kills a man, guess what that man’s death effect his children, family etc, so much for the Spooner argument.

Mr. J Williams

April 18, 2012 at 10:24 p.m.
  • You're welcome! I'm glad someone found it useful.

April 18, 2012 at 9:19 p.m.
  • JimiDollar...Thank you for the link to the essay. I've never before read it and it expresses exactly how I feel about government interference into the private lives of its citizens. For years I have been saying that the government has no legitimate interest in what its citizens inject, injest or inhale. If whatever substance is used causes harm or death to the user, that means he chose unwisely. Perhaps the consequenses of his choice will have the effect of causing others to not use this stuff. Clearly, the threat of fines or jail has not been a deterrence to the use of dope.

For those who claim that we haven't stopped robbery and murder, this from the essay has the answer: "It is a maxim of the law that there can be no crime without a criminal intent; that is, without the intent to invade the person or property of another. But no one ever practises a vice with any such criminal intent. He practises his vice for his own happiness solely, and not from any malice toward others.

Unless this clear distinction between vices and crimes be made and recognized by the laws, there can be on earth no such thing as individual right, liberty, or property; no such things as the right of one man to the control of his own person and property, and the corresponding and coequal rights of another man to the control of his own person and property.

For a government to declare a vice to be a crime, and to punish it as such, is an attempt to falsify the very nature of things. It is as absurd as it would be to declare truth to be falsehood, or falsehood truth."

Robbery, murder and other crimes against people and property are crimes because they are actions of one person against another person or his property. The use of dope is a vice because it is not an action against another; rather it is the personal use of the individual who chooses to use it for his own pleasure. If it kills him, oh well, maybe he died happy.

For the person who stated that the dope was given his/her son in a soda, there are legitimate laws on the books about assault which should be used to prosecute the person who put the dope into the drink. That wasn't a vice. That WAS a crime and the person should go to prison.

April 18, 2012 at 6:38 p.m.

Some people need a lesson in liberty. This is a link to "Vices Are Not Crimes" by the brilliant Lysander Spooner. Please read and take notes.

April 18, 2012 at 4:40 p.m.
  • I am amazed at some of these postings. Synthetic drugs - key word is drugs, I am glad they carried this out. I think aiding and abetting (look it up - "to assist somebody to do something, especially something illegal" could be a charge here too. Come on, containers to hide drugs, fake urine, are the people buying these things the ones you want driving the school bus your child or grandchild rides to school on? Good work VPD, VSo and all others connected to these raids.

April 18, 2012 at 8:49 a.m.
  • If coke & meth make one age prematurely, I'd be willing to bet synthetic coke has the same effects.....but I'm just assuming here. Jordan have you conducted a scientific study concerning long term effects of these synthetic drugs? I also enjoy how you are berating concerned parents demanding they be better parents.....I would love to meet yours as I assume, after reading your posts, that you were raised by wolves.

April 12, 2012 at 7:09 p.m.
  • For all those , who believe in the justice system , watch how this will may backfire .. I'm hearing things , and believe their is trueth and merit to what i'm hearing Which is just BAD for V>S>D and other agencies that where involved . If true . i will not comment on what , it is i'v heard . tell i have more facts . .

April 12, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.

April 12, 2012 at 1:39 p.m.
  • I HADE TO QUIT ALCHAOL CUS I CONDNT SPEL GOOD

April 12, 2012 at 1:22 p.m.
  • I DONT SEE HOW ALCHOL IS DIFFERENT THAN WEED .. BAN ALCHAOL IT KILLS MORE THAN ANY OTHER DRUG POINT BLANK A CHILD CAN NOT GO INTO A STORE AND BUY IT JUST LIKE ALCHAOL A PERSON 18 OR OLDER HAS TO BUY IT AND IF UR CHILD GETS IT ,,ITS BECAUSE SOMEONE OVER 18 GAVE IT TO THEM WATCH UR KIDS

April 12, 2012 at 1:13 p.m.
  • don't compare meth to marijuana.

April 12, 2012 at 1:04 p.m.
  • Synthectic weed was never put out for youth it was a way to get high legal.Its behind the counter not even on display at the stores you have to go in and already know the name of what you want ITS NOT LIKE A KID CAN WALK INTO A STORE AND SEE A BAG OF SCOOBY SNAX AND THATS THE ONLY NAME SCOOBY THAT WOULD APPEAL TO KIDS THE OTHER NAMES ARE OKAY how does FLIGHT RISK , MARY JOY , VOO-DOO- MEGA BUZZ ,, DOWN TO EARTH ,, HEAD TRIP HOW DO THOSE NAMES APPEAL TO THE YOUTH ITS THE PARENTS FAULT FOR WHATS WRONG WITH THERE KIDS STOP BLAMING ANY DRUG AND DO UR JOB AS A GOOD PARENT!IF PEOPLE WANT TO SMOKE IT LET THEM IT SHOULD BE LIKE ALCHAOL IF UR DRIVING HIGH GET A DUI!! IT WOULD STOP ALOT OF CRIME AND WASTED MONEY AND THE COPS COULD WORRY BOUT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IT WONT STOP.

April 12, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.
  • x-rated movies and synthetic drugs against the law in this county, but you can find and order anything you want online.

April 12, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.
  • And do you honestly think alcohol isn't sold to minors? Yes it may be marketed towards adults,but a 21+ can easily buy it for a minor,see its a double edged sword. and those names are made up by the growers who then sell it to the dispensaries to be sold for medical use. Teach your kids some damn common sense and you wont have to worry about them trying things they dont know what it is. Back in high school i was offered coke,pills,etc all the time,even back when i wasn't educated on it that great,and i never tried that crap,and never will.

April 12, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.
  • usesomelogic....I agree with you. You make a really good point that drug dealers don't give a flip who buys from them and that I am arguing a mute point. I got a little caught up with the insanity and I realize that you are right... I am going to argue in circles and get nowhere with this. :) I have said my peace. :)

April 12, 2012 at 10:13 a.m.
  • @jordankj...So why not name them dumb names that are more appealing to adults? Why name them in such a manner that kids interests are peaked? AND I'm the one who is retarded? You honestly think that drugs are not sold to kids or what? Um, just because the initial person who purchases them has to 18 does not mean that they are not sold to kids! Do you really think that the manufacturers of these products didn't think about that when they named and packaged them the way that they did? Come on. Seriously?! Look, I get that you are for these products. That is so obvious to everyone here. So be it. Do your thing, that is your business. I am simply not for them.

April 12, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.
  • You folks are arguing a mute point!! The synthetic dope is illegal!! You can dance around the topic all you want but facts wont change! Jordan are you so dense that you cant entertain the idea that the drug dealers are in fact calling the marijuana "yum yum bubblegum" To market the dope towards kids?! You think drug dealers give a flip who buys there dope? Plain and simple these packages are designed to draw in today's youth....

April 12, 2012 at 9:43 a.m.

April 12, 2012 at 9:28 a.m.
  • I have an idea, decriminalize marijuana therefore these people wont have to resort to smoking this horrible stuff. And its funny that some people think by doing this raid that these businesses will go out of business. You do realize that these companys buy on wholesale and that a box of pipes is only a few hundred dollars and bongs the same. They just continue doing what they were doing,sans synthetic weed.

April 12, 2012 at 9:21 a.m.
  • @gayletara...Don't attack my children. I was obviously making a point that they are marketed towards children in packaging like that. They are playing on children’s vulnerabilities. OF COURSE it is common sense to not consume unknown substances. I did not think that I had to spell that out in order for you not to assume that they ingest things without knowing what they are. The package says Scooby snacks and some children are going to believe that they are Scooby snacks. If that was not the intent on the maker of these drugs, why do it? I could defend your allegations against me not educating my children about drugs and your opinion that they are probably doing drugs...BUT who my children are speaks for itself to everyone who knows them. I don't have to justify that to someone who is assuming that they know anything about them from a comment that I made about the dangers of these being packaged in the manner that they are.

April 12, 2012 at 9:21 a.m.
  • Ashlyn .. not all the boxes werefull of synthetics. They took pipes ,bongs, and many many boxes of items that weren't even illegal. Oh yeah, you don't have to roll if you have a pipe. Still believe you are right though about wasting time and money on something that is not going to slow down even a little bit. Even if we do get a handle on this there is still plenty of coke and meth in victoria for these kids to "accidentally" ingest. Even if this compound is illegal the makers will change one little thing in the chemical makeup and it will be another 5 months and lab test to figure out what it is so they can make it illegal. The cycle continues. They have already banned several of the synthetic weed ingredients but they just change one thing and it becomes legal again. We do not have the money or resources to continue trying to stay ahead of the manufacturers. IMO

April 12, 2012 at 6 a.m.
  • whoever said 400,000 was bloated,,,they seized way more than that. A box has 500 bags each bag sold at 20$ EACH and 5 stores each with a room from floor to ceiling staked with the boxes of synthetic im just going to asume each store had about 20 boxes and remember 500 bags in each box...DO THE MATH WAY OVER. People need to stop saying our youth was at major risk you had to be 18 or older to buy it ..It has to be rolledin order to smokeit and kids should have no knowledge of how to roll a cigarett unless lack of parenting! I think it was a waste of time and money doing the raids if grown people want to smoke it let them its there body. more victoria parents just need to really be parents and look after there kids and stop blaming drugs on whats wrong with therekids I HATE TO SAY ITS NOT GOING TO STOP ITS IN OTHER TOWNS, INTERNET,HELL YOU CAN MAKE IT URSELF IT SHOWS HOW TO ON YOUTUBE ..DRUG DEALERS ARE GOING TO START GETTING IT FROM HOUSTON AND BRING IT BACK LIKE THE TIME BEFORE IF THEY CANT STOP WEED OR CRACK HERION COCAIN OR ANY OTHER DRUGS HOW CAN THEY STOP YOU FROM SMOKING CHEMICAL WEED ?

April 12, 2012 at 4:20 a.m.
  • victorianbybirth,

i never said doing drugs doesn't change your appearance,i said doing this synthetic crap doesn't change your appearance.

April 11, 2012 at 11:50 p.m.
  • have you watched the video ?

the reporter asks if the synthetic urine was illegal and sheriff mustache proudly claims 'no but it allows people to beat the test'

uhhh then on what grounds did you confiscate it ??????

once again, I fully support confiscating all the illegal substances and such but the rest is just a pure abuse of law enforcement power.

April 11, 2012 at 11:42 p.m.
  • @victorianbybirth I agree with your analogy on the uses of these other compounds, but for me to create laws that ban products,that clearly say not for consumption? How can that be made illegal? So someone that can't use common sense doesn't get hurt? And do you think alcohol should be legal? It is a DRUG and people that drink daily are by definition drug addicts!!! That's right redneck drunks are druggies!!! Dopers, heads!! We need to legalize it all and weed out the weak ones! There is no other use for alcohol, but your not up in arms against that? I vote for legalization an regulation not crimilzing poor broke people at a gas station, who will now be living comfortablly on our tax dollars in prison? Let's make money on these people not waste money on them?
    Could you imagine how many people would go to prison if alcohol was prohibited? I bet the arian brotherhood would love to see more rednecks in prison. What a world we live in!!!

April 11, 2012 at 11:17 p.m.
  • I don't believe I ever said anything about this 1 way or another. I think I wondered what the heck you were saying, as you really made no sense at all & I was trying to tell the other one that drugs do indeed age one prematurely.....that's it. As far as the rest of this goes, I really don't care. If the stuff is illegal then it should be confiscated and the people shouldn't have been selling it in their businesses. Unlike spray paint & glue & whatever else you people have tossed out, those products actually have a use other than to get high, whereas this stuff doesn't. I wouldn't want to bathe in synthetic cocaine, I'm not sure that would even be safe. As far as people being able to get this stuff online or in other cities, knock yourselves out, just as long as it is for your own consumption then I couldn't care less. Just make sure you secure it so no unsuspecting person comes across it & mistakes it for something else. Your indulgences are your business as long as they don't adversly affect someone else & then you must be willing to live with the consequences. That's my opinion.

April 11, 2012 at 9:26 p.m.
  • I'm not trying to save the dregs of society....jordan said doing drugs doesn't affect ones appearance, I was merely pointing out he was wrong.

While I'm back on this topic I have to point out my amusement at Smoke n Rocks name.....all it conjurs up in my head when I hear it is a crack pipe....way to be discreet people.

April 11, 2012 at 8:34 p.m.
  • @ victorianbybirth I would not expect to many people in Texas to understand?? If you polled everyone here, there would be overwhelming evidence that most people here, don't believe alcohol is a drug?? I'm not critizing law enforcement for doing what they did, but they are hypocrites, just like others pointed out why not raid heb or walmart for selling spray paint, which can be used by people to get high? To use my tax money to protect people from themselves is not a democratic society.
    I would bet money that the supreme court would overturn these laws if it reaches them!!
    I can remember when people like you tried to get hustler magizine off the shelves, that didn't work well in the supreme court. And thank god they have the power to keep people like you in check

April 11, 2012 at 8:31 p.m.
  • VBB..."have you ever seen the faces of meth? Doing drugs does change your appearance & not for the better. That 40yr old dude looks 60."

And the problem with that is.....what? If he dies at an early age from smoking, inhaling, injecting or ingesting (however it is consumed) meth, will anyone miss him? Will the passing of another junkie adversely affect society?

April 11, 2012 at 7:57 p.m.
  • Gtg69, your post made absolutely no sense.

jordan....have you ever seen the faces of meth? Doing drugs does change your appearance & not for the better. That 40yr old dude looks 60.

April 11, 2012 at 7:38 p.m.
  • You can all say what you want about this, pro or con. Bottom line is the stuff was not sold for consumption, let's say it again for those who are slow, not sold for consumption!! This ban is against the 23rd amendment of the us constitution. Hopefully one or more sane lawyers will push this to the supreme court level and overturn this. This goes against our personal responsible rights guaranteed by the us constitution.
    To the guy talking about someone on this "crap" driving? We have DUI laws in place to take care of this problem, just like alcohol, guns ect... Items don't kill people? People kill people, an then we the people kill them lol
    Stop trying to use bad parenting as a reason to infringe on my constitutional rights, that I served to protect as a veteran!!!
    If we continue to elect morons ie the republican party at any level, we will all have to be gun carrying alcoholics and have sex with our sisters!! Lol

April 11, 2012 at 6:37 p.m.
  • @bittersweet If your child does in fact take and ingest something, be it a drug or not, (. I am scared to death thinking that my children whom I HAVE educated about taking drugs and the dangers of doing so, could still take them because someone offers them some “Scooby Snacks”?!?) because of a name and them not knowing what the substance is, you have NOT educated your children about drugs and your children are probably doing drugs. It doesn't matter if the name is Fluffy Wuffy Cotton Candy Flavored Orbs of Deliciousness with cartoon characters all over the packaging...if they don't know WHAT exactly they are ingesting, DON'T EAT IT/ SMOKE IT/ SNORT IT/ SHOOT IT UP, etc etc. That is common sense, which shouldn't have to be taught.

April 11, 2012 at 5:17 p.m.
  • "A container of bleach went for $49.99. A can of iced tea: $29.99."
    Last I check that's not illegal. Having the ability to hide my valuables from criminals that invade my home looking for things to take? Sounds like a pretty safe darn place to put things to me.

April 11, 2012 at 4:06 p.m.
  • Using the SD logic on some of the items confiscated we should be shutting down any store that sells rolling papers, cigar wraps,pipes,whipped cream aerosols,paint, gas, freon,and anything else that could be used for illegal purposes. Wait a minute...that would shut down almost every store in Victoria. For those of you who believe prohibition works just look at history. It is a Major waste of time and money.

April 11, 2012 at 4:02 p.m.
  • I cannot believe some of the logic being thrown around here! There are some of you really complaining about TMO and law enforcement doing their jobs that we pay them for? Is it not their job to try to stop the sale of something that is illegal? It was well publicized that these substances were illegal and not to be sold anymore. Even if it was not publicized, it is the business owners obligation to find out if it was legal for them to sell products that are obviously questionable because of the fact that they are a synthetic form of their ALSO illegal counterparts. Do I believe that these business owners did not know that these products were illegal? No…does that matter? No…What matters is that it was their responsibility to know.

To me these synthetic drugs are more of a threat to our children and to adults alike. I am not saying that they are more or less harmful than real or prescription drugs. What I mean is that they are marketed in a manner as to make the “consumer” believe that it is “okay” to take these things because they are openly selling them. They are wrapping them in packages that look harmless or fun and they are substances that do not show up in drug tests. These substances obviously have some effect on a person that is similar to real forms of the drugs, or no one would be interested in taking them. I am scared to death thinking that my children whom I HAVE educated about taking drugs and the dangers of doing so, could still take them because someone offers them some “Scooby Snacks”?!?

Does shutting down the illegal sale of these synthetic drugs stop them all together? No, of course not, but that does not mean that we should give up because there is a lot more work to do. It means we keep on educating our kids so that we have a future generation of people who have no interest in drugs. We applaud our Elected Officials and law enforcement for doing their job and not giving up in a difficult fight. We be grateful that there are less illegal substances being openly sold in our community. We open our eyes and realize that big problems take many steps to solve and this is one step. Rapes, murders, robberies, and all other illegal crimes are still being tackled by law enforcement; this raid did not hinder or halt that. I for one thank T. Michael and all the others who worked tirelessly on this to try to make our community and children safer. No, it did not solve everything, but it helps and it gives me an opportunity to educate my children about this.

April 11, 2012 at 2:57 p.m.
  • I can understand seizing the 'illegal' products but the story makes it sounds like local SD was far reaching in what they confiscated.

Reminds of me of law enforcement in 3rd world countries, always looking to abuse their power

April 11, 2012 at 2:57 p.m.
  • Well legalizng alcohol stopped the violence back in the prohibition days with all the mobsters and speakeasys. And its has been proven in other countries that legalizing soft drugs(not meth,coke,etc) has lowered the crime rate and also lowered the use of hard drugs. look at Amsterdam,while marijuana isnt technically legal there,it is de-criminalzed and you dont hear anything about that country being a huge crime capital,and if you have ever been there or know someone thats been there you will find out that they are super nice people. Also de-criminalizing marijuana and taxing it here in the states would severely hurt the drug cartels, because most people would rather buy from somewhere where they know its made in a controlled enviroment and is safe,plus all the extra money the economy would benifit from.

April 11, 2012 at 2:15 p.m.
  • Like they do now for alcohol?

April 11, 2012 at 1:44 p.m.
  • I also don't understand the theory that by legalizing drugs it will lessen crime. These items will still cost money and drug addicts will still rob and kill to get that money. The only crime that is gone the buying and selling of drugs.

April 11, 2012 at 1:31 p.m.
  • The items are not illegal by themselves but if they are found with drugs then they are drug paraphernalia. Just as your gun is legal unless you shoot someone with it.
    Just because we haven't stopped all drugs why is it a loss? We haven't stopped other crimes and many of those have been illegal a lot longer. Maybe we should do away with all laws? I like my neighbor's bike, maybe I should take it. Won't hurt her, she can get another one. So what if I hit your car while high, you can get it fixed or have more kids. Or who cares if someone slips something in her drink, your daughter won't remember being raped. Graphic but too true, drugs do not just affect those who take them. Those who take them affect those around them.

April 11, 2012 at 1:23 p.m.
  • not illegal? then why? how is this not theft of property?

my guns are also not illegal. they comin for them next?

the war on drugs is a ridiculous waste of my tax dollars, is worse than prohibition, and must stop.

and I'll throw in the obligatory "no i don't use drugs" since everyone assumes anyone against prohibition 2.0 must be a druggie themselves.

April 11, 2012 at 12:47 p.m.
  • Reminds me of Richard Pryors line about seeing bettler looking pictures on iodine bottles - a made to order cast for an "Americas Most Wanted" line up.

But come on folks, what harm were they causing us?

April 11, 2012 at 12:45 p.m.
  • Jordan, Do a simple search on google... You will have all of the accounts that you need.

April 11, 2012 at 12:45 p.m.

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 p.m.
  • Kash do you have any accounts of where someone was using this outside his or her house and harmed someone?

April 11, 2012 at 12:37 p.m.
  • One more thing before I get off my soapbox... Why do we need to spend our resources to protect idiots from themselves? Are we goig to outlaw gas and paint because some idiot wants to huff it. How do people still believe this has slowed down anything? All that someone has to do now is get it off the internet, go to the next big city, or get the real stuff from one of many coke dealers in Victoria.

April 11, 2012 at 12:31 p.m.
  • I paraphrased your sentence word for word except I did not list each crime, it is what you said.
    If these people who use this kind of stuff would just stay in their houses and dope up to their hearts content, I wouldn't care. But they don't. They are out on on roads and around our children so these drugs do not just affect the user. I feel the same about drunks who run around town, lock them all up.

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 p.m.
  • Thank you "usesomelogic" to me it will be impossible to make people understand. These substances were designed to trick tests that are used to keep us safe. Plant workers, drivers, pilots and anyone else who have our lives in their hands can use this stuff wiht little or no chance of being caught. Kinda scares me.

April 11, 2012 at 12:24 p.m.
  • The hidden compartment containers could be used to hide Anthrax or any number of nasty stuff. The containers by themselves aren't illeagle nor should they be. The intent of lawbreakers is what we have to worry about.

April 11, 2012 at 12:19 p.m.

April 11, 2012 at 12:17 p.m.
  • You are correct Ron about that,but i also wouldnt want a bus driver or truck diver drinking and driving,and alcohol is legal.

April 11, 2012 at 12:09 p.m.
  • To troof you're correct about the drug tests it dosen't show up. Would you like your childs bus driver driving your children to school high on this crap? How about the 18 wheeler driver running their truck up your rear end. Would that change your opinion? Some people can't get around their own ignorance!!!

April 11, 2012 at 12:02 p.m.
  • No i do not know any of these people and i am not one of these people but to state that these drugs make you look bad like the people in the picture was just dumb,i hope you were just making a joke and not really being serious.

April 11, 2012 at 12:01 p.m.
  • Well Jordan, You did get one thing right!! It is all about making your product stand out!! The problem is the packaging and marketing that went into all of this was targeted at today's youth!! What do you care if I make comments about the mug shots? Are these friends of yours? Are you one of the folks in the line up?

April 11, 2012 at 11:52 a.m.
  • Oh yes,cause mugshots are always the most attractive pictures.

April 11, 2012 at 11:41 a.m.

April 11, 2012 at 11:38 a.m.
  • All you all need to do... Is look at these folks mug shots...Good lord! Why not put there picture on the package!! This is what happens when you smoke synthetic dope!! Ill bet they wouldn't have another sale!!

April 11, 2012 at 11:35 a.m.
  • Jordan your line of logic is going down the same path as your defending of the street racers-no where.

April 11, 2012 at 11:31 a.m.
  • The real reason they are packaged to look like kids candy is to make the idiots think they are safe.

April 11, 2012 at 11:27 a.m.
  • "We don't spend tons of tax dollars on other crimes" (paraphrased) - really? Where do you obtain your information?
    If these items are for adults why do they need to be packaged like candy such as pop rocks? Why not like medicine oh cause then its not appealing to kids. So if one of you heads drops your goods on the walk home (cause we know you would never take mind altering drugs and drive) and a child picks it up and takes it (cause it looks just like candy) and dies, that's OK.?

April 11, 2012 at 11:24 a.m.
  • Who cares how they got it! They went in raided them at the same time... This way they cant warn the other stores whats coming... What are you upset they hurt the drug dealers feelings! Give me a break... I'm glad they did it the way they did expose these people and places for what they are!!

April 11, 2012 at 11:20 a.m.
  • How am i rooting for the bad guys? i dont like this sythetic crap as much you guys, im only commenting on the way the PD approached the situation,and just saying that its not going to stop anything as there is still other means of getting the fake drugs.

April 11, 2012 at 11:12 a.m.
  • @jordankj,
    People are disagreeing with you because you are arguing for the bad guys...I don't understand why you are not for removing stuff that is going to hurt our kids. Whats TM supposed to do he gets a ton of phone calls saying check this stuff out. These guys are selling it... Its illegal.. and its killing folks! I guarantee you one kid dies form this crap and nothing was done to stop the sale. The sheriff dept would have been crucified!

April 11, 2012 at 11:06 a.m.
  • I highly doubt they are aimed at kids just because it has a clever name like scooby snax. All they are doing is imitating the way diffrent types of weed are named.

April 11, 2012 at 11:01 a.m.
  • You are right Kash,but we dont spend tons of tax dollars on murders,rapes etc.. Instead of wasting time on the war on drugs,we could use that money and time solving real crimes. Doesnt matter what i say anyways,cause there is always going to be someone that disagrees with me.

April 11, 2012 at 10:59 a.m.
  • Very true but cant walk down the road to your local head shop to get it...Look I realize that you can get anything you want if you want it bad enough. You have allot of these shops in very close proximity to schools and neighborhoods. And there is nothing that makes me believe that these shady individuals would discriminate very much who they sell these synthetic drugs to. The dope is packaged and marketed to appeal to kids.

April 11, 2012 at 10:56 a.m.
  • I wonder if any of the employees on the second shift tried to go to work or turn themselves in?

April 11, 2012 at 10:51 a.m.
  • How can you say its off the street when you can still easily buy it off the internet or going to a neighboring town and get it.

April 11, 2012 at 10:46 a.m.
  • I love the "war on drugs doesn't work, so don't go after them" defense. We haven't stopped theft, murder, rapes either so I guess we should just let those go too. And if my child is given a brightly colored package and is told its candy, its my fault. So the police should only enforce laws that don't upset the drug addicts.
    As far as not knowing it was illegal, I call BS. Know the products you sell. I know very little of these products remembering reading they were outlawed. Duh guess druggies can't read well.

April 11, 2012 at 10:46 a.m.
  • Please ...."did not know what he was selling was illegal". What a joke, again we have a case of not being sorry he did it .Just sorry he got caught. If you believe that he didn't know what he was doing was illegal... Then you sir are the one that is narrow minded. And as far as this being a publicity stunt very well might have been. But I really don't care glad to have all this junk off the street.

April 11, 2012 at 10:41 a.m.
  • I always thought the "Hide-A-Can Safes" were for hiding valuables from burglars. Never knew they were considered drug paraphernalia.

April 11, 2012 at 10:39 a.m.
  • Good Job VPD!!!!!!!! Get this CRAP off of the streets and away from our kids!!!!!!! I can't believe the horror stories about the kids using this stuff. I wonder if these idiots were doing the synthetic crap too. I BET THEY WERE NOT!!!! Thanks T. Michael...and everyone else!! We have to help make Victoria safer.

April 11, 2012 at 10:39 a.m.
  • No i do not support the use of synthetic drugs,and i think they are plain retarded because the risk is not worth the reward. But i do not support the police wasting tons of money to do a giant raid on small businesses completley cleaning them out of inventory just because it was in the same store as the fake drugs. And any somewhat intelligent individual should know even without watching the news that this stuff is dangerous,bath salts serousliy? thats almost as stupid as inhaling canned air. Ill pass on the fake weed and take the much more safer natural. Even in the interview with the DnD store owner he said he had no idea it was illegal as the suppliers were telling him it still was,and if he would have known it was not legal he wouldnt have sold it. And VPD had no reason to do a raid on the store,they could have just as easily went to the stores and confiscated the illegal goods and issued a fine. Not bust in acting all big and bad arresting the workers who were only doing their jobs,and searching and arresting customers. If you dont think this was just a stunt to get TMO in the news cause re-election is coming up,then you are serioulsy narrow minded.

April 11, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.
  • I better not wear my money belt anymore with the secret compartments to keep money. Is nothing sacred anymore. You can't buy objects with secret compartments anymore?? Since when this against the law. Seems they are doing a lot of assuming and you know what they say about assuming>

April 11, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.
  • @jordankj,
    Are you defending the sale of synthetic dope? Do you think its a good idea to make synthetic drugs readily available for the general public?

April 11, 2012 at 10:21 a.m.
  • Good thing our local economy doesnt need that $400,000 put back into it...I am glad there is some non-narrow minded people that i can agree with that this whole raid was a publicity stunt to show the people of victoria that TMO is a "hero"

And to the paresnts that complained cause their kids tried it and are now messed up,well the only people at fault is themselves and your parenting skills.Thats like getting mad at walmart cause they sold you beer that gave you alcohol poisoning.

April 11, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.
  • Jim,
    This has nothing to do with that! Did you see the name on the packaging? Scooby snax... Come on this stuff looks allot like candy!!

April 11, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.
  • I would like to say I was one of the people that called and complained about the bath salts also, and I am so glad I was not the only one that had. I know first hand what the bath salts can do to a person, my boyfriend got roped into it by coworkers in the oil field, and it destroyed our relationship, he got paranoid, controlling and so violent towards me I had to call PD to get him away from me. He wouldn't sleep for days, would hardly eat and put a gps in my car. Now mind you we have been together 3 1/2 years and he never displayed any behavior remotely close to this, then I found out what was going on. He just got off of it a week ago, and I decided to take him back, but was worried he would do it again behind my back. Now, thanks to O'Conner and his team, I will not have to worry about any of that anymore, I cannot thank them enough for taking this bad stuff off shelves here in our nice little city of Victoria so it cannot ruin (or almost ruin) anyone elses lives. Props to you guys!

April 11, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.
  • There is a ton of bad mouthing of the local sheriff office for raiding these "poor business owners"...My question is this why sell these products at all? They are illegal they have been linked to death and a laundry list of other medical problems... I am not happy at all that these low life's where marketing this junk to our youth!! Had these business owners not had illegal synthetic dope in there establishment they would have been left alone!

April 11, 2012 at 10 a.m.
  • I'm saddened to know that so many people expect overpaid government agents to be the parents of their children. Note to parents: Do your own job!

April 11, 2012 at 9:34 a.m.
  • VISDMOM.. Do you know that most synthetics won't show up in drug tests? Before you assume your kid is so clean educate yourself about the products out there. I can use anything I want this morning and pass a drug test this afternoon. My biggest complaint about this thing is the waste of money and resources on something that can't be stopped. Those who think this slowed anything down are either blind or as arrogant as our sherrif. There is already a steady stream of people headed to the bigger cities to stock up. I also wonder how a minimum wage store employee is going to afford a attorney for a felony charge when they were just doing the job they were paid to do. Let's go after some violent criminals or is that too much to ask of our law enforcement dollars?

April 11, 2012 at 9:25 a.m.
  • Wether or not you like this law or that law it is the duty of law enforcement to uphold these laws. If you don't like them contact your senator and representative. They are the ones who make the laws.

April 11, 2012 at 8:45 a.m.
  • Is it just me or is it funny how the Chief is thanking people for donating boxes

April 11, 2012 at 8:27 a.m.
  • ronbridges - thank you! You others who think this was a waste of taxpayer dollars or an invasion of privacy...let's see how you like it when it's your child who is given a synthetic drug mixed into a drink of soda, and 10 minutes later their heart rate is up to 200+ bpm, blood pressure is 160/100+, they can't breathe, and they are rapidly dehydrating. Yes, that is what can, and often does, happen after ingesting these synthetic drugs. My son spent several hours in a local emergency room after such an incident. It was terrifying. Ambulance, EMS, PD, IVs, medication, the whole nine yards. People have DIED from these synthetic drugs, and some of you think this raid was absurd and invasive and an abuse of power?

Yes, teenagers are given these synthetic drugs without their knowledge by their other "friends." And lest any of you think my son knowingly took this and then feigned ignorance, my son is drug-free. He has been randomly tested and is clean.

Sheriff O'Connor and Chief Craig - hats off to you. Thank you for working to protect our citizens, most particularly our youth, from these products.

And did y'all read the entire story? The raid was the culmination of a very long investigation, not something that was spur of the moment. The PD is still investigating the robbery of the Wells Fargo Bank and just because results have not been reported in the Advocate, does not mean they don't have leads or solid evidence on who did it. The PD (or Sheriff's office) is not obligated to report each and every clue and piece of evidence on each and every case to the public for us to comment on and review.

April 11, 2012 at 7:34 a.m.
  • I say thank God for our local law enforcement! I was one who complained about these substances. Until your family has been touched by bath salts and synthetic marijuana you can truly not understand how very powerful and addicting and devasting they can be. Our son may have serious brain damage from doing bath salts and long term rehab is about the only way to overcome the addicting properties of this stuff. Maybe now because of this action another family will be spared. We are so very grateful.

April 11, 2012 at 7:29 a.m.
  • Are they going to raid the science labs in the schools next? They have scales, burners, etc. all items used in the drug trade.

I didn't realize it was illegal to have a hidden compartment in a bottle of bleach or can of iced tea.

April 11, 2012 at 7:18 a.m.
  • I feel safer already know those dangerous store owners are under control. Now all we have left is the drive bys, home invasions, and a bank robbery. The real dope dealers are loving TMO right now. He just gave their business a big boost. Waste some more of our money so you can get publicity without having to address any real criminals. I know several people that jumped in their cars and one short trip to houston later.they had all the synthetics they wanted. Sounds like this raid was effective for all of 24 hrs. What a waste of money and resources. Has anyone done the math on what this cost victoria county? Go do some real police work that actually takes violent people off of our streets. What a joke!

April 11, 2012 at 6:09 a.m.
  • I don't know what's in most of the synthetic drugs but just hearing the word "synthetic" makes me think of cancer. Seriously, if people are going to be dumb then let them. We need to stop using up resources to babysit a bunch of morons because "we're protecting them from themselves".

Oh, and $400,000? Really?! Way to bloat a figure to make a good headline.

April 11, 2012 at 4:34 a.m.
  • Also in response to some of the other comments I believe Sheriff O'Conner has done an aweful lot to further law enforcement in our community. He has my vote and the vote of most people I know.

April 11, 2012 at 3:56 a.m.
  • If the general public knew what chemicals are in synthetic pot they would be afraid to use it. Some of the things in those products can cause instant respiratory failure. Just becouse a product was once "legal" dosen't mean that it is safe. I have known people that have used marijuana in the past and tried the synthetic stuff. In most cases it had caused respiratory problems. I say "good job Sheriff O'Conner if the people need someone to protect them from themselves then law enforcement is right on track. Again good job and thank-you

April 11, 2012 at 3:51 a.m.
  • I'm just glad to see that T. Michael O’Connor is utilizing his resources wisely... While Victoria’s finest is off chasing pit bulls and incense (fake drugs) through the county. An armed robber eludes police after robbing the Wells Fargo on Navarro and Loop 463. Really? It’s obvious the only reason that the raid went down is because election time is right around the corner. What has TMO provided up to this point? Trust me when I say that I’m all for law enforcement. But for crying out loud can we elect a sheriff that can prioritize for the City of Victoria’s good!

April 11, 2012 at 2:03 a.m.
  • looks to me like local law enforcement abused their power, sad to see

what's next, impound every car stopped because it 'might' be used to transport drugs ?

April 11, 2012 at 12:02 a.m.
  • are they going to bust Harbor Freight too? they sell digital scales too.

April 10, 2012 at 10:21 p.m.
  • and just imagine the abundance of real drugs in this town, the drugs are sent by the 18 wheeler load. few trucks are caught. we only hear about the 10 percent that don't make it to the consumer market.

April 10, 2012 at 10:17 p.m.
  • The Attorney General's Office will be investigating possible connections to organized criminal activity.

2 words ( paper trail ) .. along with 3 more words ( buyer be ware ) .. SO WHEN R THEY GOING TO RAID WALMART AND HEB ALONG WITH SOME OF THE OTHER MAJOR STORES. MEAN AFTER ALL U CAN BUY EVERYTHING NEED TO MAKE SPEED AND METH AND GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE ? AND ITS ALL UNDER THE SAME ROOF .

April 10, 2012 at 10:13 p.m.
  • Bleach for $49 n Ice Tea for $29, Really!!!! What idiots.

April 10, 2012 at 9:45 p.m.