Comments

• Kudos to you John...I thought about making a similar statement....but I figured it would only fall on deaf ears...

April 24, 2012 at 4:23 p.m.
  • dope heads, huh? From now on, I will refer to former President George Bush jr as "President Dope Head George Bush".

To tell you the truth, he would probably laugh and say something unpleasant, oh well!

The legalization of Marijuana will happen eventually, it's only ignorance that keeps this from happening.

Ironically, my heart stopped once at University when I went on bender. It took a quick and knowledgeable athlete to get it starting again. I think, he went on to work for Homeland Security?

Anyway, the responsible thing is to take the same approach to controlled substances as firearms.

What do you Republicans love to say, "If guns were outlaw, then only outlaws would have guns".

What you are really saying "smarty pants", is that guns are not going anywhere; whether they are legal or not. Then we should legalize guns, so that we may create a responsible framework to monitor and advocate safe handling.

Yet, you don't share the same opinion about Marijuana. Only a complete idiot "I am not referring to President George Bush Jr" would believe that Marijuana can be removed from society.

Admit it Republicans, "With all the money and legislation you want, you will still not stop people from consuming Marijuana".

I dare you to challenge that statement, and people to take you serious.

People know now, that the only politicians who believe that are stupid, dumb, or lying to everyone.

The only choice, the only intelligent right choice, is legalization. Don't make me go viral with this, you will not like me when I go viral.

lol, I'm such a pain aren't I?

April 24, 2012 at 7:32 a.m.
  • I wish people would educate themselves and not believe what they are told to be right and wrong by others....I understand laws are made for the people and by the people...but laws are also changed if they do more harm than good.

April 23, 2012 at 9:13 p.m.
  • Democrates are desperate for vote, now they want the dope heads votes!

April 23, 2012 at 4:14 p.m.
  • Unless I read the article wrong (quite possible) there were couple delegates that thought the marijuana resolution was stupid and it barely passed after an amendment was added. I don't get the feeling that it was the most important resolution discussed; just the liveliest one... I do like the other resolutions they submitted.

Besides Texas is a GOP controlled state,so they won't take up the resolution.

MS.Harrison was speaking metaphorically when she said ""The Republicans say a woman's place is in the home," and her statement of""I say a woman's place is in the House and in the Senate" reminded me of what Hillary said when a reporter asked her what kind of first lady she was going to be. She responded" I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life."

Ms Harrison could have been referring to a Rick Santorum “Respect for stay-at-home mothers has been poisoned by a toxic combination of the village elders’ war on the traditional family and radical feminism’s misogynistic crusade to make working outside the home the only marker of social value and self-respect.’’antorum quote "

She could have been referring to Mitt Romney's elevating his wife's stay-at-mom status ,yet said "Poor women, he said, shouldn't be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits. "[E]ven if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work."

I won't go into Republicans voting against "equal pay for equal pay" the women intrusion laws etc. etc.....There's a reason women don't vote in high numbers for the GOP.

April 23, 2012 at 10:28 a.m.
  • A RESOLUTION SUPPORTING LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA....I listen to candidates in all parties and then I vote for the individual, not the party.
    What this group did in passing this one resolution was not very well thought out, and there are some very responsible and respectable people in this group but now guess what, you are now one of the group that passed this resolution, no matter how you feel about it... remember,for every action there is a reaction, and I can just imagine what could happen......who will I support when I go to the polls?????Guess

April 23, 2012 at 10:01 a.m.
  • Alcohol ever being legal was a mistake so we should create another monster with pot? I love how 'green' California goes after cigarette smokers but welcomes pot smokers. I am for using pot for real medical reasons but not for some of the crap excuses some people get it "prescribed" for. My big toe hurts - I need to get high.
    I see no savings in federal money. Because instead of spending money on the drug war, the money just gets shifted to regulating it.
    Doesn't stop crime either. People don't rob stores for bubble gum- usually cigarettes and beer.

April 23, 2012 at 10 a.m.
  • I would much rather have a pothead than a drunk driving in the oncoming traffic Surely there is another solution rather than spending so much time and resources on fighting something that could put huge money on the table. Ask the other states how it's working for them.

April 23, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.
  • I knew where you were coming from, Jason. I was touching on the fact that just because a substance is legal, doesn't mean that it is consumed -- or abused by those who DO consume it. I kinda feel like alcohol is more dangerous than pot. I mean, I could drink myself into a coma in a few hours. I could not smoke myself into a coma. That makes me think that the only reason pot is illegal, is because it was associated with hippies, kinda like the only reason for Prohibition was because of the association with immigrants. (Come on, "dry" politicians were known to frequent "wet" parties.) It's all politics. It's about taking away the rights of people you don't like: immigrants and hippies.

John pointed out that when something is legalized, it is able to be controlled. Also, you can limit how intoxicating the product is.

I'm not for smoking cigarettes, pot, or lettuce, but I am for being able to control abused substances AND for decriminalizing possession of a leaf that grows from a seed.

Don't get me wrong, if it was legal, it would still be illegal in MY HOUSE. But, that's me.

April 23, 2012 at 8:37 a.m.
  • Not taking a shot at you Becca, just making fun of our country for considering alcohol almost harmless while sending people to prison for even small amounts of pot.
    Alcohol has caused tragedy in a lot of peoples lives but you won't see anyone regulating it any time soon. I can buy alcohol, get slaughtered, and wreak havoc on a community and probably get off with a fine. I think that is funny.

This war on drugs has been going on a long time. Any ATF or DEA agent that proclaims an end to this so-called war is near is fooling him or herself and trying to fool you. We read about huge busts in Victoria county all the time. They couldn't stop or even slow the amount of pot coming into and being grown in this country.

You gotta love the Victoria Democrats for proclaiming they want to legalize it. At least they are on the right track even if it was like driving nails in their own coffin. We aren't exactly Travis county here.

April 23, 2012 at 5:20 a.m.
  • Some of you have given me an idea? Under ATF Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms only one are their instructions on use and handling.

Why?

If people had been properly educated on Tobacco, how many people might have chosen to smoke and the reduction in Cancer cases?

I people had been properly educated on Alcohol, how many people might have chosen to drink and the reduction in car accidents or other irresponsible consumption.

Maybe, Texas should legalize Marijuana but require a Controlled Substance licence for use, transportation, and production.

Treat Marijuana like guns, just better.

April 23, 2012 at 12:04 a.m.
  • Dude.

Why won't you look up the so-called "equal pay" bill signed by Scott Walker of Wisconsin? Theres your answer.

Mr. J. Williams

April 22, 2012 at 10:15 p.m.
  • JasonBourne.

What is so funny about my statement? Is it the statement itself or that I forgot the word “be” in that sentence? I don’t care it is true. I feel ashamed of the Democratic Party in the crossroads area.

They may have cost some candidates their elections.

Mr. J. Williams

April 22, 2012 at 10:11 p.m.
  • Mitt Romney

April 22, 2012 at 10:05 p.m.
  • Just because alcohol is legal doesn't mean it is consumed by everyone. I also choose not to smoke cigarettes. =D

April 22, 2012 at 9:59 p.m.
  • No matter what we do, keep providing that life enhancing alcohol to everyone. That stuff has brought so much joy to our citizens. It improves a persons demeanor, clarifys thought, and generally creates a better human being overall.
    Alcohol, to my knowledge has never caused a single adverse issue in any persons life.

Yeah marijuana is bad, alcohol is just fine and dandy though. LOL!

April 22, 2012 at 9:38 p.m.
  • Nice adjustment vet43.

First you toss out that some GOP do not support equality and then you toss in for good measure a maybe some Democrats do to. Good call standing by those statements.

LMAO with writein... "You don't pro-pot in one of the most conservative districts in Texas". I like that one. That is a classic line I may want to use in the future.

April 22, 2012 at 9:33 p.m.
  • Vet,

Maybe you should have said there are some SOB's, whether Democrat or Republican, that do not support equality for women. Please name the Republicans to support your statement. To say it is generic holds no water with me.Unless you can produce a name then your statement is a bold face lie.

April 22, 2012 at 9:23 p.m.
  • I bet somewhere Congressman Farherhold and State Rep Morrison are smiling because the local Democrats just shot themselves in the foot. I feel sorry for Alex Hernandez and Country Judge Ronnie McDonald. My God, you don’t sit there and be pro-pot in one of the most conservative districts in Texas.

Mr. J. Williams

April 22, 2012 at 7:46 p.m.
  • Smoking is bad. You inhale all kinds of toxins into your lungs when you inhale smoke. Smoking something as harmless as lettuce is bad for you. =P

April 22, 2012 at 7:31 p.m.
  • The fact that it grows from a seed should distinguish it from something that is made by a person in a nasty kitchen or bathtub.

April 22, 2012 at 7:28 p.m.
  • yes there are more important issues to focus on. I don't think anyone is going to stop smoking marijuana anytime soon.

April 22, 2012 at 7:26 p.m.
  • Legal or not it's here to stay.

April 22, 2012 at 7:21 p.m.
  • How about some real issues? Like making ends meets- no raise in 3 years but cost of living continues to rise. Gas prices, getting people off federal aid, continued drops in student performance, federal deficit, etc.

April 22, 2012 at 7:17 p.m.
  • Dude,

Just to be clear, SOME GOP supporters do not support female equality. They have showed lack of support for equal pay and maybe some Dempcrats also do the same so I stand by the statement. It was generic in nature.

April 22, 2012 at 7:17 p.m.
  • Affordable healthcare- private insurance rates have tripled since Obamacare was voted in and deductibles have risen.
    Voter ID- dead people have the right to vote too.
    death penalty- some criminals can't be rehabilitated, mad dogs are put down
    Weed legal- just what we need, more drug induced deadheads walking (and driving) around Guess the cops will have to carry pee cups? Parents can't keep kids out of their medicine cabinets so how do they keep them out their pot stash. IQs will soar.
    Same sex marriage- don't really care what you do in your own backyard but don't flaunt it in mine.
    women's rights- never been told I couldn't do anything except maybe pee standing up (too messy)

April 22, 2012 at 7:11 p.m.
  • Vet, I wouldlike to know which republican said a woman's place is in the home? I am glad the Democrats came out with these outlandish resolutions.
    Affordable health care - Obamacare is not going to work and will be unconstitutional.
    Voter ID - I agree with VISD mom - what is so wrong with showing an id to vote. Could it be the Democrats can't pull a Duval County with voter id in place. Fact is I have to show my id right now to vote so what is the problem. Only those that want to hide something want to prevent the voter id.
    Death penalty - I support it. I also support justice and to make sure it is fair to all.
    Same sex marriage - don't impose your values on me. Marriage is between a man and a woman.
    Woman's rights - not sure what you are advocating. My wife is independent and has all the same rights I have. She can vote. She votes Republican. She can drive. She can go to school. She can get a loan. She can't seem to win the lottery, but then neither can millions of others. She has the power to choose. She chooses not to be a democrat.
    Legalizing pot is simply wrong. Pot is the first step towards harder drugs.

April 22, 2012 at 6:47 p.m.
  • Fact is there are some folks in the GOP that do believe women need to stay in thier place. And science is nothing but MoJo.

April 22, 2012 at 5:32 p.m.
  • legalize and tax it

the war on drugs is the biggest mistake of the 20th century

April 22, 2012 at 4:59 p.m.
  • "Justice of the Peace Richard Castillo also questioned the resolution.

"From a law enforcement background, how are you going to control it when they are using it operating vehicles?" Castillo asked. "If we don't have guidelines, it should never be considered. We're opening ourselves up."

You control it EXACTLY the same way you do with alcohol. Driving under the influence is and would be illegal whether the influence is provided by Southern Comfort or pot. Making wacky terbaccy legal would free up untold amounts of money that is now being spent to catch people selling, buying and using it. One thing that should be decided is what to do with the people already in prison for marijuana convictions if it would be made legal. I think it would be a terrible thing to keep them in the pokey just because it was illegal back then. I suppose the hard liners would want to keep them in jail at taxpayer expense because.....uh, heck I can't imagine why they'd want to keep them in jail. I betcha they would, though.

April 22, 2012 at 3:32 p.m.
  • First of all, Local Democrats stop playing into the conservative's hands. My God that was stupid. It seems like yall don't want win against Geanie Morrison or to defeat Rick Perry in 2014.After hearing The two candidates, my support will be 100% behind Ronald McDonald.

Mr. J. Williams

April 22, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.
  • Just goes to show just how backwards Democrats are.

April 22, 2012 at 11:54 a.m.
  • ""The Republicans say a woman's place is in the home," Harrison said. "I say a woman's place is in the House and in the Senate.""

Why on earth would anyone say that much less a candidate for political office? To go on record with a statement like that should be a clue to everyone who votes "do not vote for this person because she makes things up."

April 22, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.
  • Really...Republicans say a woman's place is in the home? I am a Republican and those words have never come out of my mouth, or out of the mouths of any of my Republican friends! Democratic candidates make this stuff up, I swear! A woman's place is wherever she wants to be. Why don't ALL of you stick to the important issues, like our national debt, securing our borders, preventing more drugs from getting into the U.S., the price of gas, etc. Instead of all this rhetoric that is meaningless.

I would also like to know what is so wrong or burdensome about having to provide proof of identity to vote? You have to provide such proof to fly on an airplane and no one says that is a burden. You have to provide proof of identity to get a drivers license or social security card and that is not a burden. But oh my word, let's not ask anyone to prove who they are before they vote. That is just too burdensome. Does no one think that is ridiculous?

April 22, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.
  • I'M GLADE TO SEE THAT THIS HAS COME UP >> I WOULD SAY YES TO LEGALIZING IT< BUT I BELIVE IT SHOULD BE De Criminalized , for medical and personal use and not full blown legal like beer and liquor .. theirs not much that would have to be changed LAW wise . i would think , and as far as DUI .we already have laws for that . Plus they have 16 other states they can look at , to see how there laws r being enforced .

April 22, 2012 at 7:53 a.m.