Police look for suspects in fatal shooting (Video)
April 24, 2012 at 2 p.m.
Updated April 23, 2012 at 11:24 p.m.
Police talk about double shooting
Victoria police talk about the scene of a double shooting at Regency Apartments.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call:
Victoria Police Department non-emergency number: 573-3221Investigations Division: 361-485-3730 orVictoria Crime Stoppers at 361-572-4200
The Regency Studio Apartments have been the scene of at least one other deadly shooting in the past two years. Brian Franklin, 26, was shot and killed there on May 23, 2010. Franklin lived in the complex. The apartment management said the shooter did not enter apartment premises, but shot Franklin from the street.
Victoria police continue to look for suspects in a Tuesday afternoon double shooting that left one man dead and a woman injured.
Jerry Paul James III, 37, was killed and a 24-year-old woman was injured in the shooting at the Regency Studio Apartments in the 100 block of Regency Avenue at 1:52 p.m., said Victoria Police public information officer Sgt. Eline Moya.
The woman, whose name was not released by police, was taken to Citizens Medical Center for treatment.
An infant boy, believed to be the child of one or both of the victims, was unharmed and taken into the care of the police.
Witnesses saw a man get into a white car and speed away right after the shooting, said Victoria Police Chief JJ Craig.
Two men who sped away from the scene in a black Charger were detained for questioning, although they are not considered suspects in the case, he said.
Witnesses reported hearing several shots, but said they saw no altercation before the shots were fired, Craig said.
Neighbors and onlookers watching as the police investigated said they didn't know anything about the shooting.
Officers continued to investigate the scene, looking for evidence connected to the shooting and talking with neighbors.
As of 9 p.m. Tuesday, no one had been arrested, Moya said.
Although the scene was considered secure, nearby Rowland Elementary School and Howell Middle School were put on a modified lockdown - meaning students were taken inside the school building.
"The circumstances did not warrant a full lockdown, but having kids in a more contained area facilitates a quick response if those circumstances were to have changed," Diane Boyett, district communications director, said.
Rowland students were released at 3:05 p.m. on rainy-day dismissal format, and police officers ensured the district students who walked home would be safe.
As part of the modified dismissal, Principal James Taylor used a two-way radio to call for teachers to release students one at a time, as their guardians arrived.
Shane Wallace, the school resource officer at Howell, was at the elementary school to help facilitate the dismissal.
One parent, Veronica Hernandez, said she was spooked when she saw police were at the school. But, she said Taylor explained to parents flooding the parking lot about the disturbance in the area.
"I'd be upset if they weren't taking these extra precautions," Hernandez said while `waiting for her fourth-grader.
Victoria East did not go into lockdown after police ensured Principal Greg Crockett the scene was secure.