Comments

• I have known Myra since our kid's TES days. There is not a more likeable and intelligent lady around. Myra, thanks for being a contributor to the paper. And the article was really great. I have never attained a liking for asparagus. I've tried it steamed and sauted in butter. That doesn't work. Give me a recipe that will help the old taste buds and make an asparagus farmer a sale!

April 27, 2012 at 9:53 a.m.
  • Kudos to VBB - an excellent comment.

April 27, 2012 at 9:16 a.m.
  • VBB - you go girl! I love that spunk.

Well said! And I shall also go sleeveless, and even barefoot if I desire.

Nobody likes it, they don't have to look.

They can kiss my white pasty.......legs.

April 27, 2012 at 8:25 a.m.
  • California is another country, wish it was on another continent.

What offends me about this article is her inability to wear sleeveless because of her judgemental friend Janet. It annoys me that people think just because you are of a certain age you shouldn't dress a certain way. I believe people should dress how they like, what makes them comfortable & feel good. I am a middle aged girl in my 40s, I hate sleeves, I have never liked sleeves, I feel constricted in shirts with sleeves. My arms my not be what they were in my 20s but then again, neither is my face or my legs & yet I'm not covering them up. It is my belief that those people who have such views as Janet, & I know some Janets myself, lack self confidence so they try to drag the rest of us into their rigid, rule infested, no white after labor day world. I will not go into that dark night, not without a fight. South Texas is way too hot to wear sleeves just to please a few judgemental people, who would find something else to disapprove of on my properly sleeved self.

April 26, 2012 at 7:42 p.m.
  • Having been born and raised in California, I would say that Myra's assessment of it being a separate country would be accurate.

April 26, 2012 at 7:12 a.m.
  • In the print version of the paper, there was a line about "to wear or not wear a Bikini"

My answer:
    Sure! Go for it!
    unless.... you can't get hired at Citizens. Then... not so much.

April 25, 2012 at 10:44 p.m.
  • people's republik of california

April 25, 2012 at 8:43 p.m.
  • Of course. My apologies.

April 25, 2012 at 7:18 p.m.
  • Given the light-hearted nature of the column, we're sure Myra intended this line as a joke.

April 25, 2012 at 7:01 p.m.
  • Myra Starkey is a little far removed from achievement testing in grade school. She a little far removed from the college education she has written about. I'm kind of pointing my finger at her Advocate editors.

April 25, 2012 at 6:26 p.m.
  • California a country? ROFLMAO!

Reminds me of when Kelly Picker was on "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?"

Unfortunately intelligence and common sense the likes of Kelly's is becoming all too common.
    Common sense, Isn't.
    Not any more.

April 25, 2012 at 6:09 p.m.
  • C'mon Edith, lighten up, people can't be expected to master geography these days, what with all this TAKS test preperation. There are a "whole bunch" of states here, it's tough to remember them all. Students are probably only required to know the state they live in now days.

Have you seen the shows where they ask people how many stripes are on the flag? or stars? or who is the President?
    These people are struggling to come up with an answer. LOL!

April 25, 2012 at 5:34 p.m.
  • "There were amazing sand sculptors from all over the United States and even foreign countries such as Canada, the Netherlands and California."

Seriously?

What country does California belong to, or is it a country all unto itself?

April 25, 2012 at 4:04 p.m.