Home » DeLeon second-grader attacks teacher » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Gosh, If this kid acted out so violently then surely reform actions should be taken. What happened to the days where the teachers had one of those little wooden paddles for unruly kids? Did they outlaw those? However, I can remember when the Teacher would take his/her own frustrations out on a child that didn’t comprehend what was being taught by yelling at the student in front of his/her peers and in some cases, taking the wooden paddle to the Childs backside! These days, that would be considered child abuse and the Teacher and school district would be sued by the parents for leaving bruises on their Childs butt. Teacher might even spend some time in jail to for acting out. The real bullies were sent to the Principals office or just left alone in cases where the Teacher obviously was afraid of or condoned that behavior. Most of the time, bullying was ignored. Thankfully, these days bullying is taken seriously. Wonder if some of the kids still being bullied today aren’t just loosing self control? Sorry to go off subject slightly here and I do believe punishment is appropriate, just make sure that the Child isn't the victim.

May 8, 2012 at 2:18 p.m.
  • He needs a proper spanking on the butt, everyday if needed, having raised 3 kids, corporal punishment is lacking because there are too many single mothers? And some children are too obese to handle.(parents fault again).
    Everything short of physical or mental disorders, addhd is not included I was one there are drugs but whippings are still needed.
    My grandfather once told me the solution to kid problems was easy? Take a belt start at his feet and work your way up to his head and back down? I was like really? He replied you only need one of those and you'll do what your told and when to do it? Lmao kinda of extreme but you did not have the kid problems you have now then? Of course there were only 150 million people back then, now theres 300 million? More people more bad apples !!

May 4, 2012 at 12:27 a.m.
  • @mamaj: You make some valid points. Things are all fouled up. It might surprise you to learn that on top of all that you mentioned...a parent can be held civilly liable for the actions of their children for up to something like $10,000 per incident. I spanked my children when they really needed it, thankfully it wasn't often, and they turned out to be good people.

May 3, 2012 at 2:10 p.m.
  • The problem is, is that when we as parents try to discipline our children, we get in trouble. or our children are told you can call CPS. So who really has the power. Kids need and require structure, discipline,and guidance.. It doesnt mean to beat your children but if your child is so disrespectful that they think its okay to be disrespectful maybe a little pop on the rear will get their attention and they would think twice before behaving in such a way. the control has been taken out of the parents hands and given to the children an people who arent even a part of the family. i know that we are very strict with our kids, they have chores they are yes ma'am and no sir children and they know that if they do wrong there is a consequence whether it be taking something away or a possible pop... i love my children and would never hurt them but i will not have my children running in heb like some fools and talking back to their elders.. there is a very serious problem with our rules in this society regarding rearing children..

May 3, 2012 at 1:34 p.m.
  • I recall someone telling me recently about an administrator being bitten by a student, at another elementary school in Victoria, and having to receive a tetanus shot and medical attention. Come on parents...instill some discipline in your children while you still can!

May 3, 2012 at 10:42 a.m.
  • As an educator and one that has worked in two states, I have to inform you that this is not a random situation. These types of "emotionally" immature children are filling our schools. In my seven years in education I have had children like this in my classroom and/or neighboring classrooms every year. I have been kicked, spit on, and cursed at all while trying to teach the rest of my class. The safety protocol is to evacuate the students when a child has become a violent threat so the De Leon teacher did the right thing.

What is most frustrating is that the system hasn't figured out an efficient way to handle these children. Going through the behavioral referral process takes months and often the behavior team only suggests placing the child on a checklist of some sort. What these types of kids really need is professional mental health services that will assist them and their families, because often these behaviors are exhibited in the home as well. I don't work in De Leon, but you can't "just" blame the school because this type of child is in EVERY public school.

May 3, 2012 at 10 a.m.
  • Interested1..." imagine the 2nd grader becoming a high schooler - and he is still 'acting out"!! Now take a blow or two from him and his compadres in a dispute."

Yeah, that is the problem with little terrors; they grow into big terrors. When I was a sophomore in high school, there was a kid one grade behind me in the junior high I had attended who was one sandwich short of a picnic. This kid got mad at a teacher who had told him to go to the principal's office. Instead, the kid went home and retrieved a .410 shotgun and a pocket full of shells and returned to the school. His mother called the police who arrived at the school before he did. They searched the scool but he hadn't arrived yet. While the cop was in the office talking tothe principal, Davy was walking down the hall and saw the teacher he was looking for. He fired through the door but didn't hurt the teacher. A SUBSTITUTE teacher was in the room next door and went out into the hall and told Davy to give him the gun. Davy shot him but the teacher was able to get his hands in front of the shot column and survived. The kid ran out the main exit witht he cop right behind him and before he could reload the shotgun, the cop told him to drop the gun or he'd kill him. Now, this wasn't Davy's first rodeo. He'd punched out a glass door and had done other vandalism to the school, but he was kept in regular classes. There were occasional disruptions with him, but he stayed in school till the shooting incident. Then he became a guest of the state. Since he was under 18, I don't figure he stayed in the state school very long. Some kids just can't be salvaged.

April 29, 2012 at 11 a.m.
  • I wonder if the student is from Devereux? When my kids were at Dudley, they were busing in kids from Devereux. They had so many problems with those kids acting up. The teachers let them get away with things the regular kids would never had gotten away with. One day the principal climb on top of the playground equipment to get a kid down and he twisted his ankle jumping off. There were about 4 or 5 people running around trying to catch the kid. That day I called the main offices on Profit and the woman I spoke to said the school had never complained about the Devereaux Kids at Dudley. Since then , I have heard that other school have the Devereaux kids at their schools.

April 29, 2012 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Oh my goodness! Yes - dogs are good but.. imagine the 2nd grader becoming a high schooler - and he is still 'acting out"!! Now take a blow or two from him and his compadres in a dispute. Don't you pessimists, who know NOTHING, dare to criticize a teacher or the school.
    Walk in the shoes of the educator.

April 27, 2012 at 7:18 p.m.
  • Bconcered.

People make bold statements because they can’t be held to account based on anonymity.

April 27, 2012 at 7:07 p.m.
  • WOW! Reading the story and the comments make me glad I had a dog. If your dog can't be trained or simply won't behave, you can get rid of it and get another. You're stuck with a kid.

April 27, 2012 at 6:27 p.m.
  • cont...

If some of you are so concerned with how the teachers "might" have to leave a child out in the hall temporarily to help diffuse a situation while still maintaining a class of 20+ kids - maybe you should focus your attention on helping change the laws about how many kids per classroom. Or vote for people that won't vote to allow more students in a class than the state law dictates - a very stupid choice. Some of you need to take a walk in a teachers shoes before being so critical of their split second choices - choosing to allow a student to chill out while still taking care of 20+ others. Given those choices, I probably would have done the same thing. And as a parent of a potential one of those other 20+ students, I would have thanked the teacher for asking the kid to step out instead of allowing the behavior inside the classroom! The fact that this situation happened is terrible across the board. I hope and PRAY that everyone on this board and in this situation can look at it all with an open, unobstructed, non-judemental, and fact -based view only.

April 27, 2012 at 4:58 p.m.
  • It amazes me that so many people that probably have no formal training in special education can make such bold statements. I am a parent of a child at De Leon and it is an impeccable school with amazing teachers doing their very best at all times for every student - regardless of their home situation. While it is true that some students have special needs, some students might be a part of the able unit for other reasons other than "special needs." How dare any of you comment on a situation you have no direct knowledge about. Do you know this child personally? Do you know for a FACT that this child has special behavioral issues? It could be anyone of your children who happened to have a horrible day and lost his cool. What you should be doing is praying that the student accept the consequences for his behavior and get help for any problems he MAY have...and those problems could be just situational and temporary.
    I think it also so funny that some of you "assume" it's bad parenting...again some of the very best, most disciplined parents have children that can and do "loose control" Does that mean they are bad parents or not spanking enough - NO...they might be struggling through this right along side the teacher trying their very best to do whats best for their child. There could be a recent divorce, death in the family, moving etc. which has caused the child to temporarily have "issues."
    The biggest point is - people need to hold their tongue until they get all the facts - about the student, the parents, and the teacher.
    This teacher is an amazing teacher, parent, and person - I know them personally and I am saddened that this happened at such an amazing school...but being an educator myself I also know it can happen to any teacher, any school, any where.
    I am proud to be a parent of a child at De Leon - do I expect to get a call every time an incident occurs - absolutely not...there is not the time or the necessity for that. Honestly there are too many things good and bad that happen daily in EVERY school for parents to be notified about.

April 27, 2012 at 4:57 p.m.
  • Thank you, kash, for hitting the nail right on the head. This whole problem started with the "mainstreaming" movement, resulting in kids who have no business in a regular classroom visiting their problems on the other students and their teachers. Asking a teacher to instruct a classroom of normal students while contending with one or more students who have no business in that classroom because of behavioral or retardation problems is patently unfair to both the teacher and the other students. Put these students in special education classes, where they belong, and the problems for everyone go away.

April 26, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.
  • This is NOT just at DeLeon-it's everywhere. Last year my child witnessed a lot of similiar actions at another school by one of his classmates. I am just glad to hear this was reported (rather than covered up) and the kids were removed from the class as for my child's class was not removed and were punished for that child's behavior.

April 26, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.
  • All you pessimists need to settle down and stop tearing apart a good school in this district. The teachers are good and work hard. Times have changed a lot over the past 10, 20, 30 years and this article shouldn't have made the paper but addressed to parents of the school only. Don't get your facts from bored bloggers, call the school, attend a PTO meeting, or school board meeting. Get involved or keep opinions out if you don't know what is happening and how it is being handled. The advocate is not known for articles always being correct.

April 26, 2012 at 12:22 p.m.

April 26, 2012 at 8:44 a.m.
  • VISDMom, I completely agree that things have gotten out of hand with the . district. My daughter graduates this year, and my youngest son is in 3rd grade. Fortunately I like his elementary school, but I will not send him to patty Welder! It is unbelievable to me the things that are allowed to go on there. When my son gets out of 5th grade, I too will be homeschooling him!

April 26, 2012 at 8:17 a.m.
  • Some of these children misbehave due to lack of parenting and some are due to true medical problems. Many times the two are mixed up.
    But I see one problem is trying to integrate all children into a regular classroom. Some are just not mentally able to function within these classes.
    Back in the 60's my cousin was brain damaged at age 2 due to Scarlett Fever. 90% of the time he was a sweetheart but he did act out when overstressed. And believe me, my Aunt was not one to spare the rod. His school district did not offer special needs classes at that time and he was miserable in the regular classes. My Aunt fought and won a special needs class. My cousins behavior problems all but disappeared. He said he loved his class because he no longer felt like the stupid one. He was not mistreated in the regular classes but knew he could not keep up with the other students. Some special children benefit fror being in regular classes but it seems it should be based on a case by case situation.
    If this child has medical issues that cause this behavior, it sounds like instead of being shuffled around he needs special care.
    If his misbehavior is due to just poor parenting then make the parent attend school with him every day until he improves. These careless parents would be more attentive if they are held responsible for their children.

April 26, 2012 at 8:10 a.m.
  • Mr. Krueger, thank you for your words, and my sympathy for your brother's circumstances. I will be the first to admit that I don't feel all parents today expect their children to conform to proper behavior (oh, let's not repress them!). I was spanked, I spanked my children, and I (and they) are absolutely fine. However, there are indeed conditions whereby punishment as such will do nothing for the child because they don't understand the concept. All of us get on here and blog and let loose at the parents for not punishing or providing guidance, or VISD because they don't call the Advocate each and every time an incident happens at one of the schools. I would venture to say the majority of you know nothing about the background of this child.

It is unfortunate that this incident happened, and I for one and thankful in the extreme that no one, teacher or fellow student, was seriously injured. Yes, there are problems with VISD, which is why I removed my youngest child and am now homeschooling him. However, VISD (and the Advocate for that matter) is not obligated to tell the public each and every little thing that goes on each and every day on each campus. VISD is only responsible to the students and the parents of the students, not the prurient interests of others.

These are obviously just my opinions, and many of you are obviously in disagreement with them, but Mr. Krueger, thank you for your words.

April 26, 2012 at 7:34 a.m.
  • Back in 1962, my little brother was born with a mental problem, later identified as bi-polar manic depressive disorder. He was self-destructive and would verbally lash out at the drop of a hat. Our Dad graduated Cadet Colonel at 20 years of age from Texas A&M and would not accept the fact that his youngest son had a problem that couldn't be corrected with the "hazing paddle" he brought home from A&M. It didn't work. In fact, it made my brother very afraid of authority and his problem got worse as he got older. Today, he is serving 50 years in TDCJ for throwing a manic fit while being arrested for public intoxication. They called it "terroristic threats".

One cannot communicate ligically with another who is not logical, regardless of age. If a child has a behavior problem, there's a reason which needs to be identified and corrected, whether it be a learned response or a genetic/mental problem. "He could act right if he tried!" doesn't cut it.

Sociologists often claim that every action is a learned response. I disagree. Skunks don't turn their tails when frightened because they learned to do so. It's a genetically engineered response. We're really not all that different.

April 26, 2012 at 6:58 a.m.
  • I see you use all the correct code words "acted out", "triggered", whoever the parents of this kid should be acting out and triggering some good old fashioned belt to his behind. You can train horses to dance on command, you can train a lion to jump through a flaming hoop, and this young child can be tamed as well, but its not going to happen with people constantly making excuses and blaming the school. VISD should not have to train your unruly kids, take authority in the home and they won't embarrass you and themselves in public.

April 26, 2012 at 12:55 a.m.
  • Unfortunately stress isn't what caused this situation. This child is in the second grade and is not testing... The child that "attacked" the teacher was triggered when the child he assaulted for merely asking him why he was banging his head on the wall in the hallway (when he was left unsupervised) ran to the classroom to tell their teacher what happened. The child got upset that he was getting in trouble and acted out.

April 26, 2012 at 12:21 a.m.
  • Well justamom if I acted a complete fool at school and threw anything at all or attacked anyone at all, my dear mother and father would have meted out an appropriate reward for my action. Stress is no excuse for this behavior, it is plain and simple a breakdown in the training and disciplining a child. You teach them while they are green (young) and you don't have to wrestle with them when they get of age!

April 25, 2012 at 11:53 p.m.
  • I am an educator in our community and I am a parent of a child at this school. I too deal with situations like this very often. When a special needs child isn't observed correctly, situations like this occur. I have always praised this school and anyone who knows me knows this. This years activities have just gotten out of hand. Your usage of the term "get a life" is misplaced. I'm sorry you feel this way, but a concerned parent should never be put down for caring for their child's safety. Think before you write something that you know nothing first hand of.

PS pancho49 left out the fact that a student was also found masturbating in the hallway as well...

April 25, 2012 at 11:49 p.m.

April 25, 2012 at 11:20 p.m.
  • I am all for disipline at home, however, after working in Victoria's horrible schools I know why this happens. Isn't it test week? The pressure on these kids is too much. They are children who do not know how to handle stress.

April 25, 2012 at 10:32 p.m.
  • If you have never worked in education don't speak on it! These people do a GREAT job with what they have. The school itself has to battle uneducated people, the laws the are goverend by and parents who can't control their kids. Roberttx, momma 24 and Pancho49 you people have no clue and no life. These teahcers are great and so is the school. Every school has its own set of problems. Why don't you three go and donate your time and stop look for the negative!!!

April 25, 2012 at 10:30 p.m.
  • Well put ddherring. I think parents r to quick to blame the schools for their screw ups. U don't like the way schools r ran pull ur kid out n put them in private school. ALL SCHOOLS in ALL DISTRICTS have problems.

April 25, 2012 at 10:20 p.m.
  • Its not De Leon thats the problem the problem is a total lack of discipline that starts and ends in the home. The child would never act out in such a manner if he/she knew they would suffer some swift consequences! Quit complaining about the school and train your child in a manner that would not bring shame upon your good name. The rod of correction will drive foolishness far from the heart of a child, and before you complain about abuse think about this, those same unruly disrespectful 3rd graders grow up to be the unruly disrespectful adults. Spank your kids now, so the police won't have to beat them later!

April 25, 2012 at 10 p.m.
  • there appears to be MUCH more going on at DeLeon than what is being reported

April 25, 2012 at 9:46 p.m.
  • I think the district, the principal and others have been skirting this issue. There have been problems all year at this school. Every time something happens an excuse is made or it’s swept under the rug and parents don’t hear about it. What about the 4th grade girl who also threw a tantrum and threw desks and computers on the floor earlier this school year. What about the child who decided to pull scissors out and cut her hair. Did any one hear about this? There have been several times at that school when class was disrupted by some student and the whole class had to be removed for their safety. Just recently the police were called to this school because of another incident. This week’s incident hits home because more than one child was involved not only the teacher and this was not mentioned by the districts representative. When an incident takes place you don’t expect to get a call from the school nurse, you expect to get a call from the principal or assistant. This school used to be a good school. It still has great teachers and parents, but parents ARE taking their kids and moving them to other schools. The district has created an environment that does not let itself to learning. This is now a dangerous environment. This could be your child the next time. If you don’t speak up don’t blame anyone but yourself with the next incident. I just don’t know why the media has not been engaged in this year long issue. Rumors have been flying around and I have heard other stories, but I am sure other parents have as well, but the whole story needs to be heard by all.

April 25, 2012 at 9:32 p.m.
  • I find it interesting Boyett didn't report that a child was assaulted by this student as well. Also the key fact that this child from the able unit was left alone in the hallway with no supervision while he was throwing a "fit" as the teacher refers to this behavior. Not the child's fault... He's not to blame at all. Lack of supervision on the schools part is what's to blame.

April 25, 2012 at 9:14 p.m.
  • This child transferred in from another school during the school year. The teacher is fabulous, my child is in the class. Please pray for this child, I hope he gets the help he needs. DeLeon is a wonderful school of which myself and my wife are on campus almost weekly, we interact with administrators and teachers often. This is a very unfortunate situation and could have happened anywhere.

April 25, 2012 at 4:32 p.m.
  • roberttx, are you implying that the teacher is somehow at fault for this child's bad behavior? Discipline starts at home.

April 25, 2012 at 3:02 p.m.
  • Why even put this in the newspaper?

April 25, 2012 at 1:07 p.m.
  • "Lost self-control" interesting description of the students actions. Appears to me there are many issues going through this young child's head. I pray they do not effect rest of his life.
    It is issues like this one that drive teachers out of the public school system and the parents of other children to seek out private schools. It would be my guess that the offending student would be immediately permanently rejected from a private school.

April 25, 2012 at 11:34 a.m.
  • im going to guess this problem has been brewing since the first day of school.

no wonder several parents have moved kids out of DeLeon 2nd grade.

April 25, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.