Bay City Fire report for July
Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:08 a.m.
It had been a fairly slow month for our fire department in July. Not that you will hear us complaining about it. Even given the Fourth of July holiday with all the fireworks. Most everyone must have been responsible with putting them out. The only issue we had was on July 5 at the fairgrounds when we responded to a call for a dumpster fire. Come to find out, it was fire works that people had used the night before. This was the only issue we had with improper extinguishment of fireworks. Not to bad.
Hurricane season is here. And as I'm writing, we have a tropical depression entering the Caribbean. Remember, these storms are unpredictable in strength and direction of travel. If you can remember a few years ago with Ike, we were directly in the path when it turned and hit Galveston and Bolivar Peninsula. Are you and your family prepared? I've prepared a small list for you to keep. However, you can add to it what you want. Build your kit around your family and don't wait until the last minute.
Emergency supply list:
1. Prescription medication and glasses
2. Infant food, formula and diapers
3. Pet food and extra water for your pets
4. Important family documents. (Social Security cards, birth certificates, etc.)
5. Cash, credit cards and ID's
6. First aid kit
7. Water and food for at least three days for you and your family
8. Sleeping bag
And, believe it or not. While you are gone, no matter how big or small the storm is, we will have our volunteers putting their loved one's on the road, so we can stay back for the city. During the storms, as Ike was in Galveston, we can have fires to fight, rescues and recoveries. We continue to serve the city day and night until residences are allowed back after evacuations. So, while your away (let's all hope you don't have to be), your Bay City Volunteer Fire Department will stay, serving the community and the county. Don't forget to get on Facebook and "like" our page at facebook.com/baycityvolunteerfiredepartment to keep up to date with fire department info, pictures and hurricane information. Have a great month of August. Stay cool and be safe.
• 7-1 - House fire, 2900 block. of 10th Street7-1 - House fire, 2900 block. of 10th Street
• 7-4 - House fire, Mutual aid Markham VFD7-4 - House fire, Mutual aid Markham VFD
• 7-5 - Dumpster fire, Matagorda County Fairgrounds7-5 - Dumpster fire, Matagorda County Fairgrounds
• 7-5 - Garage fire, 3200 block of Bucks Bayou7-5 - Garage fire, 3200 block of Bucks Bayou
7-5 - Gasoline wash down, 1400 Block of Whitson Street• 7-10 - Tree fire, 2400 block Horn Road7-10 - Tree fire, 2400 block Horn Road
• 7-11 - Tree fire, 3100 block of Avenue D7-11 - Tree fire, 3100 block of Avenue D
• 7-12 - Tree fire, 2300 block of Hamman Road7-12 - Tree fire, 2300 block of Hamman Road
• 7-21 - Motor vehicle extrication, Highway 60 North7-21 - Motor vehicle extrication, Highway 60 North
• 7-23 - House fire, Mutual aid Sargent VFD7-23 - House fire, Mutual aid Sargent VFD