Corrections and clarifications
The Advocate wants to correct promptly any error in fact or clarify any misleading information we publish. To report any error or need for clarification, please call 361-574-1222.
• Stuart Posey is the Justice of the Peace for Precinct 2 in Victoria County. His title was wrong in a story on Page A1 Thursday.
• The Victoria school district school board did not vote at Thursday night's board meeting to decrease the tax rate. The board only discussed the proposed tax rate in a budget workshop. Actual voting on the tax rate will be at a special meeting on Aug. 28. The story on Page B1 Friday was wrong.
Additional clarifications from the same story include:
• Property values went up about $417,041,635 during the past year. Property tax collections based on that increase will go up almost $5 million.
• Administrators also will receive a $1,200 pay increase. This was not mentioned in the story.
• Under the new salary schedule for substitute teachers, only certified teachers working as substitutes will receive the $95 per day rate. Non-certified substitute teachers with college degrees will receive $75 and non-certified substitute teachers without a degree will remain at the original rate of $70 per day.
• The pay change will allow the district to retain and recoup former teachers, said Eloy Chapa, VISD director of human resources.
• The retesting grading guidelines is a regulation not a policy.