Corrections and clarifications
Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:17 a.m.
The Advocate wants to correct promptly any error in fact or clarify any misleading information we publish. To report any error or need for clarification, please call 361-574-1222.
• Stuart Posey is the Justice of the Peace for Precinct 2 in Victoria County. His title was wrong in a story on Page A1 Thursday.
• The Victoria school district school board did not vote at Thursday night's board meeting to decrease the tax rate. The board only discussed the proposed tax rate in a budget workshop. Actual voting on the tax rate will be at a special meeting on Aug. 28. The story on Page B1 Friday was wrong.
Additional clarifications from the same story include:
• Property values went up about $417,041,635 during the past year. Property tax collections based on that increase will go up almost $5 million.
• Administrators also will receive a $1,200 pay increase. This was not mentioned in the story.
• Under the new salary schedule for substitute teachers, only certified teachers working as substitutes will receive the $95 per day rate. Non-certified substitute teachers with college degrees will receive $75 and non-certified substitute teachers without a degree will remain at the original rate of $70 per day.
• The pay change will allow the district to retain and recoup former teachers, said Eloy Chapa, VISD director of human resources.
• The retesting grading guidelines is a regulation not a policy.