DISTRICT 14-2A, D-II: Defense key for Shorthorns' playoff hopes
Defense may not win championships in District 14-2A, Div. II this season, but the Schulenburg Shorthorns hope their squad can lead them to the playoffs in 2012.
With seven defensive starters coming back the Shorthorns look to make a third consecutive trip to the postseason.
Schulenburg was realigned into District 14-2A, Division II after finishing 6-1 in District 15-2A, Div.ision II last season.
The Shorthorns lone loss in District 15-2A, Division II came to district champions East Bernard last season. Schulenburg lost in the area playoffs to Poth 28-33 and finished the season with a 10-2 record.
Linebacker Colton Bubela will likely be Schulenburg's standout on defense after accumulating 101 tackles and two interceptions last season.
Nose guard Tristan Wednt serves as an anchor for the defense. Last year Wendt had 43 tackles and two sacks.
Keeping opponents off the scoreboard could be more important this season as the Shorthorns break in quarterback Ross Bludau.
Ross backed up older brother Kyle last season and will have running back Jyron McKenzie in the backfield.
Lexington and Rogers, both ranked in Dave Campbell Texas Football's preseason Top 10, will likely vie for the district championship. The Shorthorns host Blanco on Oct. 12 in a game that could decide the third and final playoff spot.
• Coach: Tommy Bludau
• Years at current school: 6
• Record at current school: 38-16
• Years as head coach: 30
• Overall record: 227-104-4
• Last year's record: 10-2, 6-1 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2011, area
• Returning starters: DE Ross Bludau, LB Colton Bubela, DT Tristan Wendt, DT Hayden Besetzny, FS Tyler Vornsand, CB Jeff Lara, RB Jyron McKenzie, OG John Lara, C Carlos Mar tinez, OT Matt Hatfield, OT Reid Ulrich.