DISTRICT 13-1A, D-I: Weimar, Flatonia positive in new district
The tornado that ripped through Weimar in May and caused extensive damage to Wildcat Stadium couldn't dampen the enthusiasm for the coming season.
Weimar dropped from Class 2A to 1A after making the playoffs last season and the stadium should be ready for the team's first home game on Sept. 14.
"We aren't going to breathe easy," said second-year Weimar coach Zack Hudson. "But this will make it better for us and our kids. We've always been on the bottom of 2A. This puts us about equal."
Weimar returns five starters on offense, including lineman Jabraylin Thomas, who has committed to Houston.
"We need to stay healthy like everybody," Hudson said. "We're blessed with linemen, but we don't have a lot of backs."
Weimar isn't the only district team, dropping from Class 2A.
But while the Wildcats defeated Riviera in the bi-district playoffs for its first postseason win as an 11-man team in school history, Thorndale is coming off a season when it missed the playoffs.
But Flatonia coach Chris Freytag is well aware of the Bulldogs' tradition.
Flatonia moves into the district after contending with perennial powerhouses Shiner and Ganado as well as Yorktown and Louise.
"This district is still tough," Freytag said. "The difference is there's not as many good teams in this district."
The Bulldogs' playoff hopes are bolstered by the return of 13 players who started at least one game on defense last season.
"Defense better be the strength of our team," Freytag said. "This could be a special year if our kids stay healthy and keep improving."
• Coach: Zack Hudson
• Years at current school: 2
• Record at current school: 7-5
• Years as head coach: 2
• Last year's record: 7-5, 4-3 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2011, area
• Returning starters: RB/DB Jalen Almeida, QB/LB Seth Helmcamp, OG/DE Cody Hamer, OT/DT Jabraylin Thomas, OG/DT Tervor Bosch, C/DT Dylan Otto, WR/DB Payton Wells, WR/DB Alex Delgado.
• Coach: Chris Freytag
• Years at current school: 3
• Record at current school: 5-15
• Years as head coach: 3
• Last year's record: 4-6, 1-3 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2007, area
• Returning starters: WR/DB Zane Ponder, QB/TE/LB Will Bruns, WR/DB Reed Rightmer, RB/DE Mitchel Mica, RB/DB Dalton Griffin, C/DT Miguel Grifaldo, OG Jose Cedillo, OT Mike Garcia, DB Evan Butcher, DE Aaron Manzano, LB Cristihan Rodriguez, LB Marcus Mica.