Life happens: Top 10 most useless marital advice debunked
- unverified comments
Thank you for your submission.Error report or correction
Choose your battles.
In the end, the battles don't matter. What matters is who wins the major wars. Let them take satisfaction in winning the "Battle of Who Does the Wednesday Chili Night Dishes." You'll have the last laugh when you win the "Let's Retire in New Zealand" war.
If all else fails, get naked. You'll forget what you're fighting about.
I guarantee this works for Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen or Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr. But when you have a normal human body, complete with hair stubble, pimples in weird places, wobbly bits and PMS bloat, getting naked is just likely to make your partner go, "What are you doing? Good Lord, woman, we have neighbors. Put your sweatpants back on."
Always be honest with each other.
I'll grant you that being honest 85 percent of the time is healthy for your relationship. The other 15 percent should be made up of little white lies like, "No, five glasses of wine is definitely not too much," and "No, those definitely don't qualify as man boobs" and "Yes, I'd love for you to tell me all about how the 'Avengers' movie differs from the comic book series."
Never stop dating.
Dating sucks. That's why you got married. So you wouldn't have to shave, wax, bleach, bronze, dye, pluck and paint, all so you can go to a crappy restaurant where the waiters wear flair on their vests. Sure, set aside special times to spend with your spouse. But don't feel you have to, like, put on a bra or anything.
Put your spouse on a pedestal.
This one is just simply impossible. Especially if you share a bathroom.
Always say "I love you."
Show, don't tell. "Oh, you love me? That's super great, hon. But if you really did, you'd pull all the dental floss the dog ate last night out of his butt."
Really listen to what your partner is saying.
This is good advice unless it's the 12th time they've come home from work complaining about Sharon again. Then you can just pretend to listen while you're actually thinking about what your next tweet will be or wondering why it wasn't you who came up with that ingenious Feminist Ryan Gosling meme. Because honestly all they need to do at this point is vent and if you can already list Sharon's Top 10 Most Idiotic Statements for the Month of June, you can just pretty much zone out.
Never argue about money.
Are you kidding me? If you didn't argue about money, chances are high all your worldly possessions would consist of a 200-inch flat screen and 800 pairs of high heels. Of course, you can argue about money. Just do it smartly. And learn to compromise. Like purchasing instead a 72-inch flat screen and only 400 pairs of shoes.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Unless the small stuff is his freaking socks that he left all over the house again because he gets a weird, perverted thrill out of taking off his socks in every room in the house and leaving them there until they decompose of their own accord.
Never go to bed angry.
This only works if you started fighting at 8 a.m. Sometimes you just need to go to freaking bed. Regain your strength. Obsessively go over and over ways to poke holes into their stupid argument about how the time travel in the Terminator serie