El Campo, Gonzales players named first-team all-state
Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:18 p.m.
El Campo finished the regular season 10-0 and won the District 25-3A championship.
The Ricebirds outscored their opponents 396-131 and had a 4,170 to 1,970 advantage in total yards.
Seniors Cole Hunt, Trey Martin and Brett Prihoda played a critical role in El Campo' success and were named to the first team of the Associated Press Sports Editors Class 3A all-state football team.
Hunt was selected on the defensive line and was also named the defensive player of the year after having 82 tackles, 15 sacks, and five knockdowns.
Prihoda had a team-high 143 tackles, including 18 for a loss and eight sacks and was chosen at linebacker.
Martin had 64 pancake blocks and did not allow a sack and was selected on the offensive line.
Gonzales running back Cecil Johnson and linebacker J.T. Miller were also named to the first team.
Johnson, a senior rushed for 2,016 yards and 25 touchdowns in nine games.
Miller, a junior, had 142 tackles, including 18 for a loss.
Gonzales senior Zack Lopez was selected to the second team as a defensive back.
Earning honorable mention were Yoakum's Willie Hights on the offensive line and Keith Ratley at receiver, Cuero's Caleb Harvey on the offensive line, and Wharton's Ramon Frazier at linebacker.
Navasota quarterback Kadarius Baker was named the offensive player of the year.
APSE Class 3A All-State
The 2012 Texas Associated Press Sports Editors Class 3A all-state high school football team, released Tuesday. Voting based on regular-season performance. Players are listed in alphabetical order at each position.
- BRYAN MANLEY, Stephenville, Sr. -- Team avg. 417.8 yards, 40.7 ppg; 99 percent grade, 31 pancakes, no sacks allowed
- TREY MARTIN, El Campo, Sr. -- 64 pancakes, allowed 0 sacks, top blocker on team that averaged 420 ypg and 40 points
- JAKE RAULERSON, Celina, Sr. -- 93 percent grade, 26 pancakes, 23 downfield blocks, only 1 sack all year;
- RALPH RUBALCABA, Raymondville, Sr. -- 150 pancakes, 95% grade per game, 0 sacks allowed
- BRIAN THLANG, Palestine, Jr. -- Graded 95 percent for offense that ran for 2,700 yards, averaged 6.8 per carry
- AUSTIN COLLINS, Navasota, Sr. -- 55-1,109 receiving, 16 TDs, 114 total points
- SOLOMON MCGINTY, Navasota, Sr. -- 62-1,218 receiving, 16 TDs; 104 total points scored
- KADARIUS BAKER, Navasota, Sr. -- 161 completions, 2,946 passing yds, 37 TDs; 2 rushing TDs; 4 Int
- JAREK BLACK, Shallowater, Sr. -- 193-2,121 rushing, 27 TDs
- JORDAN FRAGA, Devine, Sr. -- 2,540 yards rushing, 33 TDs; 112 yards receiving, 2 TDs
- CECIL JOHNSON, Gonzales, Sr. -- 2,016 rushing yards, 25 TDs in 9 games
- SEBASTIEN CORRALES, Gatesville, Sr. -- 8-9 FGs, 47-50 PATs, made kicks 47, 42 (twice) and 44
Offensive Player of the Year: Kadarius Baker, Navasota.
- BO BRADY, Henderson, Sr. -- 60 tackles, 44 solo, 12.5 sacks, 24.5 TFL, 5 FF, 1 FR
- COLE HUNT, El Campo, Sr. -- 82 tackles, 15 sacks, 5 knockdowns.
- CHASE VARNADO, Stephenville, Sr. -- 81 tackles, 30 TFL, 9 sacks, 7 PBU, 2 FF, 1 INT, 1 blocked punt that went for touchdown
- JORDAN WELLS, Navasota, Jr. -- 103 total tackles, 57 solo tackles, 40 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 4 caused fumbles
- K.J. CUMBY, Athens, Jr. -- 124 tackles, 23 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 Int., 3 FF, 4 QBP
- JT MILLER, Gonzales, Jr. -- 142 total tackles, 18 TFLs
- BRETT PRIHODA, El Campo, Sr. -- 143 tackles, 8 sacks, 18 tackles for loss
- IVORY BROWN, Palestine, Sr. -- 68 tackles, 6 INTs (2 ret. for TD), 6 pass breakups
- AUSTIN COLLINS, Navasota, Sr. -- 43 total tackles, 25 solo tackles, 7 TFL, 5 INTs, 2 INT returns for TDs, 1 FF, 8 pass break ups
- TRAVIS WHITE, Krum, Sr. -- 96 tackles, 8 INTs, 2 forced fumbles, fumble recovery, 2 TDs
- CONNOR WILSON, Argyle, Jr. -- 113 tackles, 4 breakups, 1 forced fumble, 4 fumble recoveries, 8 INTs, 2 INT returns for TDs
- KAM WILLIAMS, Midland Greenwood, Sr. -- 44 yard avg, long of 72, 5 punts inside 20
Defensive Player of the Year: Cole Hunt, El Campo.
- Brian Bormann, Geronimo Navarro, Sr.; Kevin Hobbs, Brownwood, Sr.; Max Jones, Stephenville, Jr.; Tyler Jorden, Bellville, Sr.; Zach Monreal, Devine, Sr.; Riley Olson, Abilene Wylie, Sr.
- Matthew Barnes, Groesbeck, Sr.; Justin Weatherley, Glen Rose, Sr.
- Preston Townley, Huffman Hargrave, Sr.
- K.J. Garrett, Center, Sr.; Chance Kelley, Paris North Lamar, Sr.; Arthur Lockett, Houston Yates, Sr.
- Michael Martinez, Navasota, Soph.
- Oscotty Castro, Dalhart, Sr.; Isaiah Golden, Carthage, Sr.; Julio Maldonado, Rio Hondo, Sr.; Leo Sanchez, Melissa, Sr.
- Jaylyin Minor, Navasota, Sr.; Dustin Savensky, Navasota, Sr.; Jackson Scharf, Monahans, Sr.; Josh Walker, Gilmer, Jr.
- Preston Brown, Stephenville, Sr.; Jay Leal, Geronimo Navarro, Jr.; Zack Lopez, Gonzales, Sr.; Jerrod Mahan, Graham, Sr.
- Cooper Howely, Brownwood, Sr.
HONORABLE MENTION OFFENSE
LINEMEN: Trevor Barton, Gatesville; Mark Benavides, Port Isabel; Joe Brandenburg, Monahans; Ricky Clark, Burkburnett; Hayden Cobb, Shallowater; Jordan Deagen, Argyle; Brady English, Gilmer; Tyler Fore, Graham; Tanner Fought, Argyle; Caleb Harvey, Cuero; Willie Hights, Yoakum; DeAndre Key, Abilene Wylie; Billy Morgan, Krum; Jacob Mizell, Coldspring-Oakhurst; Chris Nunez, Big Spring; Ryan Salinas, Lubbock Estacado; Joseph Stieferman, Quinlan Ford; Devin Torres, Vernon; Clay Wiley, Kilgore; Robert Young, Bellville.
RECEIVERS/ENDS: Haden Bryant, Bullard; T.C. Courtney, Lubbock Estacado; Conner Eiland, Canton; Tee Goree, Carthage; Brice Gunter, Stephenville; Ryan Moseley, Lubbock Cooper; Keith Ratley, Yoakum; Ian Sadler, Argyle; Tre Smith, Wills Point; Ben Thiel, Celina.
QUARTERBACKS: Ben Davis, Graham; Quinten Dormady, Boerne; Tyler Jones, Stephenville; Patrick Reed, Silsbee; Kam Williams, Midland Greenwood.
RUNNING BACKS: Chaston Bennett, Rusk; Malik Berry, Anna; Adam Berryman, Gainesville; Floyd Bess, West Columbia; Cody Burtscher, Glen Rose; Stanton Keane, Lubbock Cooper; Zane Conlin, Geronimo Navarro; Reed Flores, Krum; Garrett Martin, Abilene Wylie; Nick Ralston, Argyle; Taylor Sikorsky, Quinlan Ford; Juwan Washington, Kennedale; Corion Webster, Atlanta; Andre Welch, Fairfield.
KICKER: Cole Hedlund, Argyle.
HONORABLE MENTION DEFENSE
LINEMEN: Seth Adams, Silsbee; Tivo Armendariz, Monahans; Jake Bauer, Navasota; Jerquis Beasley, West Orange-Stark; Tadeo Canon-Masjoan, Sweetwater; Kamm Coker, Bellville; Ty Cook, Crandall; Guillermo Esparza, Andrews; Xavier Fluellen, Gilmer; Jacques Guillot, Port Isabel; Mack Monson, Brownwood; Sid Moore, Van; Jonah Noah, Stephenville; Miguel Ramirez, Port Isabel; Dequone Shaw, Dallas Roosevelt; Walter Sheridan, Palestine.
LINEBACKERS: Jamal Black, Paris; Santos Carrizales, Rio Hondo; Ty Cook, Crandall; A.J. Davis, Kilgore; Logan Day, Midland Greenwood; Ramon Frazier, Wharton; Jesse Gomez, Lubbock Estacado; Zack Holliday, Bullard; Jamal Kind, Henderson; Ryan Linebaugh, Sweetwater; Joe Lynch, West Orange-Stark; Jerrod Mahan, Graham; Alden Mann, Wimberley; Esteven Montelongo, Port Isabel; Josh Raulerson, Celina; Brickey Reed, Paris; Henry Rivas, Brownwood; Sam Sizelove, Argyle; Broderick Thomas, West Columbia; Brett Wade, Kennedale; Chris White, Gainesville; Daniel Woodson, West Orange-Stark.
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Jadon Boatright, Liberty Hill; Rhett Brooks, Llano; Braylin Brown, Celina; Mookie Carlile, Stephenville; J'Korrie Centers, Henderson; Joseph Clark, Tyler Chapel Hill; Benny Colbert, Kilgore; T.C. Courtney, Lubbock Estacado; Xavier Creeks, Navasota; Hunter Dorman, Somerset; Mason Fraley, Midland Greenwood; Niko Garza, Ferris; Davion Hall, Texarkana Liberty-Eylau; Roderick Hall, Lubbock Estacado; Jesse Hudson, Emory Rains; Willis Johnson, West Columbia; Jesse Montgomery, Dallas Madison; Johnny Shaw, Center; Nick Stiger, Atlanta; Quentin Tezeno, West Orange-Stark; Brandon Urquizo, Vernon; Cal Wood, Bellville.
PUNTERS: Tanner Barr, Gilmer; Hunter Darst, Crandall; Ian Sadler, Argyle; Dakota Smith, Paris.