What happened in 2012? Let's review the year
By by jessica email@example.com
Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:26 a.m.
Thankfully, the Mayans were wrong and the world didn't end last week. We hope none of you made complete fools of yourselves when you found out that the world might end. And if you did, oh well. Bygones, right? Anyhow, there's another hurdle that you should be preparing for - 2013.
We thought it'd be fitting to re-cap some of what happened during 2012. For some of us, the year flew by in a hazy blur, requiring us to piece together the events of last night as we talk to various friends who were sober enough to remember it. We've seen businesses come and go, DeLeon Plaza transformed into festival grounds and famous entertainers make us laugh until our sides hurt.
Join us as we take a stroll down memory lane.• January 28-29, 2012: Tough Mudder hits Edna. An estimated 4,250 people participated in the 12-mile obstacle course to run through lots of mud, push and pull heavy stuff and, in general, do awful things.
• February 2012: Josie's Mexican Food proposed a challenge that we could not turn down. Josie's Challenge was something she and her crew put together for the big eater in the group. We took six Advo-cats with us to chow on their biggest plates in hopes that none of us would be paying for our meals.
• March 22-25 2012: First Victoria Independent Film Festival hit DeLeon Plaza. The four-day festival filled downtown Victoria with movie-lovers and indie film junkies as well as up-and-coming directors, actors and producers.
• March 2012: Longleaf Coffee Co. announces it will close its doors. Simply Delicious takes its place on Main Street serving homemade bread in locally-grown-and-raised produce.
• April 13-14 2012: Jam Fest brings musicians and guest to Victoria's downtown plaza for two days of free entertainment.
• April 28, 2012: Disney's "Shake It Up" concert sells out within 30 minutes of going on sale.
• May 21, 2012: Site plan proposed for Peter Piper Pizza.
• June 2012: Steve-A-Reno's opens its doors at 103 W. Santa Rosa St. Thank goodness for another cool place to drink and listen to live music downtown.
• June 25, 2012: Disney's "Shake It Up" concert postponed two weeks. Promoter offers refunds to ticket holders.
• July 9, 2012: Demolition begins for Peter Piper Pizza in Victoria. The new restaurant is scheduled to open early 2013.
• July 11, 2012: "Shake It Up" concert canceled. About half of the tickets sold were refunded.
• July 16, 2012: Greek Bros. closes their Whispering Creek location.
• August 2012: Victoria hosts its first-ever Downtown Victoria Pub Crawl.
• September 2012: Simply Delicious closes its doors.
• Oct. 5-6, 2012: Easton Corbin hits the Crossroads during his debut at the 2nd annual Bootfest in Victoria.
• November 2012: Port Lavaca and Goliad Chambers of Commerce bring ice rinks to South Texas, kicking off the holiday season.
• Nov. 28, 2012: Ginny Ellsworth and Bob McCord are engaged after meeting at the Downtown Victoria Pub Crawl. Speaking of downtown, Greek's 205 Bar expands to include 207, a side dedicated to serving good eats and rad drinks.
• Dec. 15, 2012: Cedric the Entertainer hits Victoria Fine Arts Center. Thea Vidale, one of the promoters who brought the comedian to the Crossroads, has her eyes set on bringing other entertainers here, too. Look out, 2013.
• Dec. 22, 2012: The Mayans miscalculated their calendars, or ran out of room or played a nasty joke on us. We'll live to see 2013 after all.