Comments

• Debunker wrote:
    "Asked, "Why don't you keep your car in your garage?" the resident replies; "Because that's where we keep our junk""

This is funny cause we have a new neighborhood going up across the street with about 7-8 houses sold and I often wonder as I walk through why did the builder (Klien) even put garages on these? EVERY one has the cars sitting outside! Crooks look for signs like this, when the cars are gone the house is probably unoccupied.

Different story:
    A while back there was a guy came to our front door and when the wife answered, talking through the screen door, she noticed another guy sitting in the truck in the drive. The guy at the door claimed he was from the cable company and needed to check our equipment in the backyard. About that time our Great Dane nudged his head around the wife to see who was at the door. (the height of his head is just below her shoulder!)
    The guy suddenly changed his mind and said they will check back later, the wife thought his "all of a sudden" change of attitude was kind of strange but thought nothing of it at the time.
    A couple of weeks later she found out that there was a couple of guys that posed as cable people and as one walked with the owner to the backyard to "check the equipment" the other would sneak in the house and steal what ever he could.
    Not saying these were the guys but the situation seemed coincidental and noone from the cable company ever returned to "check our equipment".

February 14, 2012 at 7:55 a.m.
  • cj, As one of the residents, you have information NOT IN the article, thus you are able to read between the lines. How about looking at the article based SOLELY upon what is in the article and compare it to the headline and you'll see what I mean.

Also if you go to Crimereports.com you'll see that your neighborhood is not "unique". Crimes of this nature are all across Victoria. Play pin the tail on the donkey with a Map of Victoria, and then look at the surrounding neighborhood picked at random, You'll find multiple crimes of the same sort everywhere.

Burglars in this town are Equal Opportunity Burglars.

So just because you're "Aware" of a few other burglaries in your neighborhood does not mean that your neighborhood is being singled out in a "rash of burglaries"

Funny, Most of the reports for your neighborhood are NOT Home invasion burglaries, but Burglary of a Vehicle.

An Officer I know once remarked about the vehicle burglaries in upscale neighborhoods.
    Some person's very expensive car gets broke into and very expensive equipment is stolen, GPS, Entertainment system, Stereo, Phone, etc...

::::::FACEPALM::::::!!!!!!!

February 13, 2012 at 7:12 p.m.
  • I have lived in Victoria for 2 1/2 years and live in what I thought was a safe neighborhood. There seems to be a constant stream of break ins in our neighborhood in brood daylight. I am surprised that the media does not print or televise more articles on the abundance of break ins and thieves in this town. Any person I talk to knows of at least one person that has experience a break in in the past year or so. We need to be more vigilant as a community and there needs to be alot more awareness of this criminal activity~its starts by getting the word out.
    I know that my neigbor was broken in after they left for work between 9 and 11. I also know of thieves, ringing your doorbell looking for a lost dog, if you don't answer, they break in, this was occuring around 4-5 pm. The community needs to be aware and vigilant, look out for one another.

February 13, 2012 at 12:14 p.m.
  • Debunker... I can see what you are saying.....but as I am one of the residents I read it differently.

February 13, 2012 at 11:42 a.m.
  • My point cj, is that you couldn't tell that from the article, which is what we have to go on.
    If there is more to it and they know it, which apparently they do by the headline then... it should be IN the article.

The article and the headline do not match.

February 12, 2012 at 10:55 p.m.
  • Debunker.... You might want to check your facts. A house on Taos was burglarized during the Christmas holiday. My home AND vehicles have both been broken into and my bicycle was taken out ofo my backyard as well. My neighbor had a welding rig stolen right out of his front yard! There have been numerous incidents in the neighborhood. In fact, the Victoria Advocate online was how I found out about the house on Taos since we were out of town. The Advocate and the headline was correct. It has struck close to home and we are ALL taken precautions.

February 12, 2012 at 10:46 p.m.

February 12, 2012 at 10:39 p.m.
  • robertttx,

I agree with the sentiment of your first post. I fully support the "Castle Doctrine"

Slight technical problem with the wording though, LOL.
    For a bullet to be effective against a Burglar, you have to be home. By the very nature of the crime itself, Burglars strike when no one is home. Robbers on the other hand...

February 12, 2012 at 6:15 p.m.
  • Perfect example of what many complain about concerning the Advocates reporting.
    And it is not the reporters fault, but the editors. Reporters don't pick the headlines for their articles, the Editors do and the editors tend to sensationalize everything.

The Article is about a single family (the McChesney's), experiencing a single Burglary.

No mention of other area residents or any precautions those others are taking, not evidence of other burglaries.

Yet the headline is "Residents take caution as burglaries strike close to home"

Residents (PLURAL) burglaries (PLURAL)

Fear-mongering and sensationalism at it's finest.
    Way to go VicAd editors! Way to go.

Your headlines insinuates there is a rash of burglaries in the neighborhood despite the fact the reporter's article states the opposite.

Editors, please keep in mine you are a NEWSpaper, not the "Weekly world News" or "National Enquirer"

February 12, 2012 at 6:11 p.m.
  • just a fyi, vpd isn't driving out for a 'stranger walking out of your backyard'

February 12, 2012 at 4:55 p.m.
  • I live in the neighborhood that this happened in. We have an alarm on our home and use it all of the time. There is expense involved, but to me it is well worth the cost. We installed it to protect our children. Now we have to use it to protect our property as well. I sure hope that they catch the creeps who are doing this.

February 12, 2012 at 12:17 p.m.
  • I got robbed when I ran a mucic store in Victoria. They stole 13 guitars. We called the cops. I asked them to look around the outside to see if there was a guitar dropped. They refused and told me to go onto private property without permission to look for myself. 1.5 years later a crew was sent to repair a water line and found 2 guitars in the field behind the store.
    My home was robbed and I called the sheriff's office and the officer told me it was and inside job and hinted that I did it myself. That attitude pissed me off. I think the cops only work on the crimes that they want to work on and push the rest aside. That is my experience with the police departments in Victoria County. I just hope that I got two bad cops that don't care anymore. They need to be something other than a cop.

February 11, 2012 at 7:16 a.m.
  • im going to guess that same guy came by selling cleaning products. i never opened the door and told him to please leave my property asap.

saw him down by the park today

February 11, 2012 at 12:41 a.m.
  • next time get them off your property with a bullet, followed with more bullets.

a dead burglar is the best burglar

February 11, 2012 at 12:40 a.m.