Stroman students praised for reporting student who claimed to have bomb
Feb. 15, 2012 at 7:03 p.m.
Updated Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:16 p.m.
Students at Stroman Middle School were praised for their response to a seventh-grader who said he had a bomb at school Wednesday.
The students who overheard the threat reported the incident to adults on campus, said Diane Boyett, Victoria school district's communications director.
The administration then determined the student did not have a bomb. According to protocol, a maintenance team searched the buildings and campus to check for anything suspicious, Boyett said.
"They're the ones who know those buildings and know where everything is, so they can go in and sweep the building very quickly," she said.
All was cleared within 30 minutes. The students were not determined to be in danger and were not put on an official lockdown, Boyett said.
Earlier this month, a rumor of a fight involving guns at East High School spread quickly online and through the community, prompting a flood of parents to flock to the school.
The situation at Stroman Middle School remained more contained, Boyett said, because most students responded appropriately to the threat.
"This was actually students stepping up to the plate, so it didn't have a chance to become rumor. It was directly attributable to the student who made it," she said.
The Victoria Police Department was told of the incident, and the student could face criminal charges. He will also face disciplinary action at the school.