Comments

• I love how people who don't go to school there are talking about whining kids, who get steak, ham, chicken, and beef (which is steak) and don't know self-reliance have no idea of what is happening there. I for one have raised a very self-reliant child with a strong will and tremendous sense of responsibilty and that has nothing to do with what the school serves for lunch. The district and the state of Texas say who gets free lunches and if they determine that an entire district receives free lunches there is not much the parents can do but accept. The kids did not ask for a free ride, as some of you think, they follow what the district has set forth. They boycotted because they wanted to be heard and would like to see some small changes in the menu. The administration has backed the students and explained what effect a long term boycot would have on the finances of the district. I too took my lunch to school, but I did so because I chose. My child can and will take a lunch to school if she does not like what is being served, but if the menu has not been published or posted they don't know what is being served and arrive at school unprepared and go hungry for the rest of the day. Whether or not the students are rich or poor, they should be served food they will eat. I don't want to pay for a lunch that is inedible and neither would anyone else. These kids only want options. The waste come from cooking food that no one eats and gets thrown out when the kids take a tray and then just go to the trash and throw it out because they won't eat it. Not because they are spoiled or entitled but because they just don't like what is being served. These kids don't get steak, (does processed salsbury steak count, not in my book) they don't get chicken unless it is processed and ham HA HA, only time they see ham is when its on a pig. I applaud them for their stance and thank the administration for supporting the efforts of the students. Way to go Austwell-Tivoli students and Admin.

February 23, 2012 at 11:10 a.m.
  • The group, Texas Parents Opt Out of State Tests, picked up this story up from The Republic and shared it on their Facebook page with the comment, "We love student activists. We want them to boycott standardized testing. Imagine how effective that could be."

February 22, 2012 at 9:48 a.m.
  • I was being sarcastic with my ungrateful wretches comment. Sorry some of you misread that.

They do take a head count and they do prepare accordingly. But, just for fun sometimes, go stand by the trash can in any public school cafeteria and look at what gets thrown away. It is probably more than is actually consumed on any given school day. School food, hospital food--is it ever any good? No.

Again--tremendous job Austwell-Tivoli administration and students!

February 19, 2012 at 6:26 p.m.
  • I went to look at the menu's online (don't know if it the same or not), but all of that is processed and unhealthy as can be, except the raw vegetables and salad.
    My kid couldn't even eat that food because of his sensivities to additives and msg.
    Goodness, is this what passes for healthy food these days? Before the government moved in and started passing guidelines, our cafeteria used to make home cooked food. Fried chicken, meat loaf, chicken fried steak, "fresh" steamed vegetables.
    I don't blame the students for protesting.

February 19, 2012 at 4:47 p.m.
  • For everyone that has posted a negative comment about how the students are ungrateful, you have not seen a 3 inch layer of grease that sits on the top of what is supposed to be Chili,or sausage links that are a faded in color making the meat look as if it is spoiled, fish sticks that are overdone and chewy(yum), vegetables from the can opened and heated. OH, I am sorry....this is not restaurant and students should be happy with what they get, right? Oh, and I was under the impression that the Food Service employees get paid. Or is that based on the amount of meals that are served? I did not think so.The food complaint has been an old complaint. Nobody listens... although now they are listening but that is it.... As for wasting the taxpayers money, well this is not the only thing that the the taxpayer's money is wasted on. No, the parents are not at fault and neither are the students. You need to dig deeper to find out the facts.

February 19, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.
  • Have any of you eaten the school lunches lately? While it sounds good on paper, go and eat it! They are horrible!!!! They are filled with additives, preservatives & are all kinds of processed crap. The food contract goes to the lowest bidder

February 19, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.
  • This country is still supposed to be a democracy. I don't know about the Tivloi lunches, but I have seen some school lunches that are disgusting and passed of as healthy when it has no real nutritional value and high in fat, salt, and sugar.

These kids have voiced their concerns, and according to the article, tried to be respectful in their presentation. They have the right to take their own lunch or receive the school lunch. They all chose to take their own lunches, which is well within their rights. Schools take a head count of how many students and teachers will eat the school lunch and prepare accordingly. The amount that would have been thrown in the trash is not as much as some think.

I, too, read the menu. Other than fruits and veggies, the other items are processed foods, which are not nutritionally sound. I am humored that they are serving "mashed pot" to kids. LOL.

February 19, 2012 at 2:28 p.m.

February 19, 2012 at 1:47 p.m.
  • I didn't see anything wrong with the sample menu. It's the same stuff they were serving us back when I was in school. We always got a menu to take home and if I didn't like that day's offering, I'd bring my own lunch. And seeing as how the students were allowed to bring their own lunches on the boycott days, it's allowed there too. Jeez kids, just decide if you like what they're offering that day and either eat it or take a brown bag to school. I feel sorry for all the lunch ladies showing up at 6am to fix these kids meals that are just going in the trash.

February 19, 2012 at 12:39 p.m.
  • The students parents should be proud of their students. The young men and women used a time honored practice to make a statement other than use destructive behavior to express their issues..

February 19, 2012 at 12:29 p.m.
  • Read the sample menus.

February 19, 2012 at 12:28 p.m.
  • I missed the part about the steak. Those ungrateful wretches!

[I commend Aguirre and Martinez for allowing the students to put into practical action the lessons they are learning. All school districts should be so fortunate as to have administration that recognizes the value of an education and cares enough to view their students as people, not just attendance numbers. Bravo, well done!]

February 19, 2012 at 12:11 p.m.
  • Let me get this straight—these children are given nutritious lunches (courtesy of hard-working taxpayers) consisting of such entrées as steak, chicken, beef, and ham, along with a variety of vegetables and fruit—and they have the audacity to whine about their handouts and demand that the menus be more to their liking?! Did they watch in glee as four days’ worth of prepared meals were thrown into the garbage? (More wasting of tax money, but what do they care?) I think the only lesson these ungrateful children learned concerning boycotting is to misuse it, and that they do indeed have “power”—power to intimidate even their school superintendent. Their parents ought to be ashamed for enabling this kind of behavior.

February 19, 2012 at 11:48 a.m.
  • Well done!

February 19, 2012 at 10:07 a.m.