Comments

• Perhaps Will Armstrong could direct the city to target legitimate areas in need of revitalization and work with companies that want to build low-income housing.

February 20, 2012 at 9:04 p.m.
  • Drive around Victoria and you will see where revitalization is needed. Not Stockbauer......something smells fishy to me!

February 20, 2012 at 8:55 p.m.
  • does anyone know the govt agency handling this grant money ?

someone needs to send them a fraud alert on this

February 20, 2012 at 8:18 p.m.
  • Wonder how Will would feel if this was to be built by Woodway? Would he tell the homeowners to suck it up & deal with it, would he lie to support it? Or would the city build a 12' wall around Woodway with gates & guard posts at taxpayers expense?

February 20, 2012 at 6:53 p.m.
  • I want to again point out that if a private individual makes knowingly false claims in an application to receive government benefits, they are subject to prosecution.

If 4 or more council members decide this area qualifies as a "community revitalization" area knowing that this is not the reality, are they subject to prosecution? Somewhere in this process honesty and truth MUST take precedence.

I am also greatly concerned with Armstrong's statement regarding the city would "have no control over that property,". By what standard does he believe the city (or state or federal government) should have ANY control over privately held property?

If we allow local government to make false statements with the goal of getting more federal dollars, don't be surprised when that same tactic is used in other situations (or maybe it already has). Honesty and integrity MUST be returned to all levels of government.

February 20, 2012 at 5:53 p.m.
  • Thanks TxEx, I needed that laugh.

February 20, 2012 at 4:12 p.m.
  • Denise Rangel, Paul Polsasek, Tom Halepaska and Joe Truman all walk into a bar together. The bartender looks up and says "Hey Will!"

February 20, 2012 at 3:17 p.m.
  • Say, I would sure like to revitalize a piece of southside Victoria. Where can I get $9,000? Can I qualify for a handout too? I will attend Tuesday's meeting with my request!!!!!!

February 20, 2012 at 2:21 p.m.
  • Not to be rude or keep any one down. But Section 8 housing is not what will grow our economy. Our community needs a fair balance of all types of housing, and at this time we are over run with government subsidized housing. Last I checked there are only two apartment complexes which don't have some sort of Govt. subside Silvermine and The Whittington. I vote no!!

February 20, 2012 at 1:52 p.m.
  • "I think the neighbors could do a lot worse," Armstrong said. While he would not elaborate, he encouraged property owners to "use their imagination."
    Ooohh, the boogey man might build there.
    Kind of makes one wonder if maybe there shouldn't be a maximum age for serving on City Council

February 20, 2012 at 12:25 p.m.
  • Stockbauer needs revitalization? It needs a grocery store, but not revitalization and not government housing.

February 20, 2012 at 9:49 a.m.