Comments

February 29, 2012 at 4:07 p.m.
  • I found the article I remember running a few years ago.

February 29, 2012 at 3:20 p.m.
  • AlrightHicktoria, here is the link from TPWD about cox and lavaca bays. I agree that the State is still run by the ignorant Governor, but the feds have a site if you google it, showing the toxic areas in question.
    read and enjoy. I find my fishing holes with my plane anyway.

February 29, 2012 at 2:27 p.m.
  • Hicktoria,

Alcoa had a large mercury spill.spills? in the past. Personally, I wouldn't eat anything that came from that area. I've been to the area right behind the plant and the mud is red and nasty-looking, probably from the bauxite. Don't you see them dry-stacking in the mud lakes? That stuff can blow out of there and settle in the water.

February 29, 2012 at 2:25 p.m.
  • will - the waters are fine around the plants. There are regulations...I would love to see your factual data on the subject instead of your hearsay from unknown sources.

Guess those "Bubbas" are smart. They feed you a story like that to keep you out of their fishing holes...DUH

February 29, 2012 at 2:10 p.m.
  • Benefits are important to any employee, and the companies will get the best employees if they offer benifits, stability, and good pay. Seems that Formosa is doing a better job at that these days, but I agree, the threat of unionizing is what makes Formosa want to make it's employees happy.

February 29, 2012 at 1:08 p.m.
  • That's true born,but some of my friends are telling me that people are leaving their jobs at our other plants because Formosa pays for the cost of their employee's health insurance...In some areas the physical work is less intensive at Formosa than Alcoa. Company loyalty is not like it was in the old days...It's no secret that the threat of a union made things better for our non- union industrial plants in our area. Even the contract labor pay at Dow,Invista,Formosa, and Alcoa is better than their counterparts in other industries...

February 29, 2012 at 12:53 p.m.
  • troof is right. Alcoa is losing workers to Formosa left and right because the pay is higher at Formosa. People have this idea about Alcoa, and unions in general, that just isn't based on fact.
    Since the unions "allowed" the company to change the retirement benefits for new-hires hired in after a certain date, the incentive is gone.
    Not many people will work that hard for just the pay, and benefits that most other companies also supply.

February 29, 2012 at 12:06 p.m.
  • Alcoa in the past polluted the bay.

February 29, 2012 at 11:32 a.m.
  • Will,
    I'm going to assume you know about Alcoa and the issues they've had over the years including the years before Formosa ever arrived in Calhoun County.

February 29, 2012 at 10:50 a.m.
  • Why is the water around the plant off limits to fishing? Hummm. I say let the Bubas fish there all they want. Darwinism. The Texas Parks and Wildlife consider it one of the most polluted bodies of water on the Texas Coast. Unions are not the issue. Discussing Macro Economics to a Bible and Guns republican is about as hard as explaining Microbiology to them.

February 29, 2012 at 10:41 a.m.
  • It's like a fish story, it gets buigger every year. There are some fairly stringent regulations surrounding water, water treatment, and process fluids getting itno waterways.
    Formosa has in the past had a couple of violations. They are talked about as if Formosa was radically polluting when in fact they only had a few minor issues.

I don't work there but I know that to be the truth.

February 29, 2012 at 9:57 a.m.
  • Sour grapes??? Who is singing sour grapes? I'm making a fortune (to me) off this little blip in the market.
    Now who do I have to thank for this... Oh it must be Obama and the democrats right. WRONG!

I don't think any political group had a thing to do with anything. But you can bet many will be trying to take and hand out credit to themselves and their favorite politicians.

Standards operations, if it was good my favorite politicians must have been directly involved. If it was bad, it had to be your favorite politicians.

Same sad story we've been listening to for years and years.

February 29, 2012 at 6:05 a.m.
  • Yeah, the Dept. of Labor is just full of "sour grapes."

February 29, 2012 at 6:02 a.m.
  • That's right Trueone,consumer confidence is trending up and it showed in the stock market by going above 13,000 for the first time since May,19 2008...You smell the sour grapes?

February 28, 2012 at 10:12 p.m.
  • Formosa pays for their employee's health insurance and yet they are able to create jobs..How about that?....U.S. companies will continue to outsource because labor is dirt cheap,lax environmental laws and inhumane working conditions are the norm.

February 28, 2012 at 9:58 p.m.
  • This why the jobs are being created - read the article!

"The wealth of cheap natural gas is bringing manufacturing back to the U.S. and manufacturing jobs have increased for the first time since 1997, according to the U.S. Department of Labor."

Obuma didn't have thing to do with it. We're lucky he hasn't screwed that up yet. Maybe in his 2nd term he'll achieve his dream of "skyrocketing" energy prices - something to look forward to.

February 28, 2012 at 8:21 p.m.
  • Explain why the site vice president/manager would make a statement "This is a tremendous vote of confidence in the U.S. economy"? Business leaders recognized the success of president economic recovery polices. The people who will be getting these well paying jobs will benefit from the presidents' leadership in saving American jobs. Thanks to president Obama for bringing creating jobs in our communities.

February 28, 2012 at 6:54 p.m.
  • Muleman- Need to get some facts before you post. Find out how much the point comfort union plant payscale is. We are losing people daily to the other plants because they are paying more for both skilled and unskilled positions. I'm not saying the union is perfect or my preference. Just saying you are very misinformed.

February 28, 2012 at 2:51 p.m.
  • Formosa is not a union, unions workers drive busness out of country with the high pay they want!

February 28, 2012 at 9:17 a.m.
  • Strange how a foreign owned company can make it big in the US, but an American company has to move everything to China. Even our dictator president and his "build bridges and roads" project is being given to Chinese contractors.

February 28, 2012 at 5:34 a.m.
  • Wow. What a deal in Booming Port Lavaca.

February 27, 2012 at 9:35 p.m.