Comments

• The Corolla was the only car parked in front of The Barn early Monday morning, and being hooked up to a wrecker later that day so I assume it was the car in question...not positive though.

I'm not dissing the Sheriff's Department either. They did a great job. I was just saying that this much action out in the sticks raises eyebrows and can cause panic i.e. my wife running around locking doors during the day and peering out the window every few minutes. This does remind us, though, that we get comfortable in our surroundings and lose sight of the possibility of an unwanted intruder.

I did notice also that the man was arrested for evading arrest, nothing more, but then there may be more to it than meets the eye. Great job and kudos to the Sheriff's Department.

February 29, 2012 at 8:32 a.m.
  • my complaint is not with the lock down. the safest place for my child was in the room at the school. my complaint is with this edulink system. it didnt work and yet they say parents were notified. some parents were notified, but not all. that is my complaint.

February 28, 2012 at 4:38 p.m.
  • VISDmom - good post.

Which brings to mind a question for markkrueger: how did you know it was a Toyota Corolla that was stolen?

Just askin'.... :)

February 28, 2012 at 10:12 a.m.
  • I don't think it was overkill to have officers and a helicopter involved in the hunt for the suspect, nor was it inappropriate for the Mission Valley Elementary to be locked down. Whether or not law enforcement feels the suspect is not a danger to the public, any fugitive who wants to stay away from the law THAT badly may become a danger and it is far better to make sure the children are safe than put them into danger. While it became apparent the notification system did not work, having had it work and then having parents immediately begin swarming the school to pick up their children could have made a bad situation worse; certainly more difficult for law enforcement personnel to control.

I work in the Mission Oaks subdivision on a daily basis; while it was unnerving to hear the helicopter and the four-wheelers during the search, far more ominous would it have been for law enforcement to have taken the "oh well, it was just a "wompy ole stolen Toyota Corolla". We really don't need to make a big deal of it." And maybe there are aspects of this case that are not available to the public at this time that go beyond this being just a stolen vehicle case. You know, it is not one of our inalienable rights to know every little piece of evidence about the hunt for a criminal.

I think we should be thankful that our law enforcement personnel take their job seriously. For the most part, it is a thankless job, from the myriad of posts I see on here. Most of them want to make the world a better and safer place. I can say this with the utmost confidence, being married to such an officer of the law. I know I have digressed from the subject - my apologies.

So thank you to our local law enforcement personnel for being diligent in their pursuit of justice.

February 28, 2012 at 9:38 a.m.
  • Tophat and jasonbourne - I concur.

Sometimes I think all common sense has left our society. People, get a grip. Let law enforcement do their job and pick your kid up from school at the end of the day and give them a hug and tell them you're glad they are safe.

Discuss the incident over dinner (if there are families out there that still do this) or a McDonald's happy meal or whatever suits your fancy, answer any questions your child may have, then get a good night's sleep and go about your normal business the next day. The world hasn't come to an end.

No need for all the drama.

February 28, 2012 at 8:03 a.m.
  • I drove through there about noon, and was quite surprised to see the Mission Valley Barn's parking lot full of patrol cars and a helicopter overhead...all over a guy who might have stolen a wompy old Toyota Corolla. It appeared to be a manhunt for a mass murderer or something comparable, and I'm sure the appearance of the incident was a concern to parents of children in the school.

It seems like a road block could've been instituted to: 1) look for the suspect in vehicles and 2) inform drivers of the incident and warn them not to pick up any hitchhikers. Just a thought.

February 28, 2012 at 6:56 a.m.
  • Why did it take the police so long to inspect such a small school. A bit overkill don't you think? The bad guy wants to be as far away from the police as he can get. If the children were in "No Danger" then why the lockdown? I know the police are doing their best. But they are only human and sometimes make mistakes also. Good luck to the police in catching the bad guy

February 28, 2012 at 6:47 a.m.

February 28, 2012 at 6:16 a.m.
  • And you people think you can secure your children's welfare by hounding the Video Store out of skin flicks

February 27, 2012 at 6:56 p.m.
  • The fact is there is already a system in place. The next fact is that it did not work when needed. Why?

February 27, 2012 at 6:50 p.m.
  • Ya, what he said. And by posting this to the advocate website, what's that going to help. Complain to the school board. Not like you can do much in a lock down anyways...

February 27, 2012 at 6:40 p.m.
  • Yeah, I talked to the police, they are going to hire 15,000 new officers and set up a $50,000,000 computer system that notifies every person within a 50 miles radius of the possibility of an incident occuring within 4 seconds.
    OK, I'm being a little sarcastic and none of that is true.

Is all this really necessary? Do we need to know every single thing that happens? What are parents going to do if something does happen?

I'm picturing a time when someone calls me after a real incident has occured. I really don't want communication when something might happen.

Here is the key portion of the article
    "It was a precautionary lock down," Boyett said. " No child was in danger."

February 27, 2012 at 6:23 p.m.
  • I got a message at 12:52p, this isn't acceptable when school has been on lockdown all morning and we, as residents, in the area don't even know what the suspect looks like or what to watch out for. None of this has even been in the media today until late this afternoon and I find that very alarming.

February 27, 2012 at 5:42 p.m.
  • As a parent of a student of Mission Valley, we were not informed of the situation because the system would not allow it to go through. It wouldn't record the message. Someone needs to check the system before something like this happens again.

February 27, 2012 at 5:22 p.m.