Judge, fire marshal agree burn ban will remain
By BY MELISSA CROWE - MCROWE@VICAD.COM
Jan. 3, 2012 at 2 p.m.
Updated Jan. 2, 2012 at 7:03 p.m.
OTHER COURT ACTION:
In other action, the Victoria County Commissioners Court approved:
Payment to A&A Constructors, Inc. for the Victoria Emergency Operation Center. Payment to Urban Engineering for the runway project at Victoria Regional Airport.The sale of surplus and salvage property of the county and Citizens Medical Center.
Despite some rainfall and new vegetation, the Victoria County burn ban will not be lifted any time soon.
County Judge Don Pozzi and Fire Marshal Ron Pray agreed during the public comment portion of Tuesday's commissioners court meeting that they were both "real hesitant" to lift the ban.
The ban went into effect in October.
"I'm not a fan of the burn ban," Pray said. "I wish we didn't have it, but there's a need for it."
Although the area has seen some vegetation sprouting up, he expects it to die quickly from Monday night's freeze.
He said burning trash or brush could easily get out of control in the county's still dry conditions.
After the burn ban update, commissioners approved several items including seven appropriations totaling more than $1.7 million.
The largest amount set aside, $1,649,689, went to the city's fire and emergency services. The city and county entered into a contract in 2007 to serve all county residents.
Gulf Bend Center received $50,000; Victoria Economic Development Corporation received $15,000; volunteer fire departments and association received $11,000; Victoria County Senior citizens Center received $10,000; Victoria County Historical Commission received $1,000; and Victoria Soil and Water Conservation received $1,500.
The commissioners also heard from Carole Luster, owner of Movies To Go, near Farm-to-Market Road 236 and Timberline Drive.
Some county residents previously approached the court about restrictions on Luster's business, which rents adult movies among other DVDs.
"I'm just a regular video store," Luster said. "I want to get it on record ... it is not an erotic sex shop."
Pozzi said it was "no secret" that the court was examining potential ordinances that would prohibit sexually-oriented businesses. He did not comment further.