Comments

• mogirl,
    You kept referencing his "bad choices, his "stupid mistakes".
    Voting in a corrupt politician is a "bad choice"
    Forgetting to put the Gas cap back on after refueling is a 'Stupid mistake".
    What Derrick did was heinous, callous, life threatening to innocents,
    In a word... CRIMINAL.
    You ARE making excuses for him when you talk of life threatening criminal acts as Stupid mistakes.

Again, the intent of my post is not to hurt you. As I said before, my heart and prayers do go out to you and his family. but the only one cause you grief is /was Derrick himself. By his actions.

The intent of my post is to show you you can love him but not defend him. He may have been one thing to you but to the world at large he was a dangerous person. and he was NOT a "good man".
    Good to you maybe. but not a good person.

My Other cousin, was executed in a drug deal gone bad. he crossed the wrong criminals in his dealings. Am I sad he's dead? Yes. Do I miss and love him still? Yes.
    That does not change the fact that my cousin dug his own grave and died a thug lowlife criminal. I love him but he was NOT a "good person"

My suggestion to you is... if hearing the truth about one you love hurts... Don't read it.

Again, my deepest condolences to the family, especially the children.

January 10, 2012 at 8:17 p.m.
  • Shannonleigh and mogirl,

I understand you are related to the perp.
    I also understand you cannot choose your family.
    I also understand that despite his actions, you still love him as family.
    And truly, I do feel for your loss.

That by no means justifies defending him which you are doing despite claims you are not.

Others are not being ugly about Derrick. Derrick made his own ugliness as defined by his own actions.

I'm not saying that Derrick did the following things but a rapist has family too. so does a Child molester, a murderer, a robber, a thief, any class of criminal from the shoplifter to the most heinous serial child molester/killer has family.

Does than mean we are not allowed to discuss his actions and what kind of person he is based upon those actions? Or is that being "ugly" as you put it.

You say he was a Nice guy. Probably to you he was.
    But nice people don't commit "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon/family violence"

Nice people don't flee the police and endanger the lives of other innocents who happen to be on or near the road.

Nice people don't shoot at police

I'm sure even Ted Bundy had some people he was nice to. It does not make him a nice person.

Shannon,
    You said, "Just think about it, if it was your brother, cousin, son, or dad and you saw those post, how would you feel? I'm sure you wouldn't like any of the things that were said and I know that we don't."
    I HAve two cousins (well... one now, the other is dead) who are seriously into drugs and drug manufacturing. I still love them as family and that will never stop. but I hate them as people. they ARE scum. lowlifes. CRIMINALS. Unlike you I will not make excuses for their actions or get upset at others who call it like it is. I still love them though. I will NOT have anything to do with them.

January 10, 2012 at 8:17 p.m.
  • "Word around the copshop" is withourt a doubt the lamest thing I have ever heard. Right up there with "I heard that old poophead is growing weeds in his yard (wink,wink)". That is the worst debate tactic you will ever hear.

Think maybe someone just likes to spread rumors?

January 10, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.
  • Porkay.... section 9.51 subsection c specifically... But most of that section applies. Remeber this was an irrational felon fleeing thought to be armed. Whao knows what they were going to do....

BTW... I'm not touchy but I do know the law and you are ignorant of it.

January 10, 2012 at 1:33 p.m.
  • JR300, could you give me the statute that you are referring to that says the police can fire (use deadly force) af a fleeing vehicle please. It might help me "get out of my dream world" to know that the law in Texas has drastically changed. I don't mind admitting my ignorance. And for the record, I don't know the deceased or the family. My question was whether it can be verified that the DPS was the first to open fire. Do you know the specific circumstances of the whole tragic scenario or just what you have read in the Victoria Advocate? No need to be so touchy, my friend.

January 9, 2012 at 1:26 p.m.
  • Oh and last time I checked, when your on probation you cant be in possession of a firearm. So he shouldn't have been able to shoot back.

January 7, 2012 at 5:16 p.m.
  • Porkay,
    If your running from the cops they are justified in using force to stop you. This includes shooting to disable your vehicle. If you return fire you are not defending yourself you are firing on officers. Get out of your dream world. I knew Derrick as well as his family well. I feel sorry for their loss but I will not defend what he did. Law enforcement was right & did handle this well. Big thanks to them for protecting the public.

January 7, 2012 at 5 p.m.
  • Word around the cop-shop is that DPS trooper fired at the vehicle first because it was "fleeing" and THEN the man, who was the subject of a probation violation warrant, returned fire.

What about it Victoria Advocate? Can you verify this for us? And if so, what is the legal implication in light of the Sheriff's dire warning?

"We will especially pursue individuals who fire upon law enforcement. We will use every means available to locate and apprehend you. Our aggression increases as the crime is committed," said O'Connor. "To have an individual fire upon officers is unacceptable. We will be very aggressive in pursuit. It will not be tolerated."

Just asking...not judging.

January 6, 2012 at 6:59 p.m.
  • Thank you rnogirl.

January 6, 2012 at 4:39 p.m.
  • For thoes of you that didn't know Derrick Hartsfield - He was a great Father, Son, and Brother to his family - Derrick took some bad turns in his life that his family or any one else did not have a chance to fix - I'm not making excuses for Derrick but I do know that Derrick was a good person from heart. Working in the Law Enforcement field I know that this was a very disturbing situation - However people make bad decisions when the time gets bad - However I don't think that just because that someone makes a stupid decision you should talk bad about that person - His Family and Friends are going threw a hard enough time knowing he did this... My heart goes out to his family and kids. Prayers are with you...

January 6, 2012 at 12:18 a.m.
  • I feel sorry for the family, it's selfish when people ruin others lives with their own actions.

January 5, 2012 at 10:48 p.m.
  • Just to let all of you readers know, he has family and kids and we all read what y'all say. He wasn't a bad guy, and he had a heart just like most of the people in this world. We loved our cousin and cared for him deeply and most of yalls comments hurt us. Just think about it, if it was your brother, cousin, son, or dad and you saw those post, how would you feel? I'm sure you wouldn't like any of the things that were said and I know that we don't. So could y'all please stop being so ugly. Now his kids will have to grow up without their dad and not know why he did that.

January 5, 2012 at 4:26 p.m.
  • Between the hours of 11:30 pm and 4 am it is dark outside. No sun. Hard to see perfectly -- so, in other words, good job folks.

January 5, 2012 at 11:40 a.m.
  • @ CrazyAgg99 - this is not Hollywood. It is Victoria County. Some people are just bound and determined to get away and will try anything to succeed. Be glad you are not in Houston. They don't shoot. They let the criminals get away.

Kudos to all law enforcement involved. We appreciate all of your crime fighting efforts.

January 5, 2012 at 6:16 a.m.
  • Wow, doesn't sound like things went all that smoothly to me, considering they had the guy within shooting distance, he put holes in their DPS car, and then left on foot. Do the DPS need target practice? They found him 4 hours later with dogs and the guy shot himself? Glad they found him, but sounds like luck to me. What happened to the idea of using an old fashioned pit maneuver when a vehicle tries to run? It could have saved a lot of chasing and "cooperation" efforts amongst multiple agencies. Awefully bold statements from the sheriff. Oh well, bad guy down.

January 5, 2012 at 5:30 a.m.
  • My hat is off today to Sheriff Dept.-
    Bad situation was concluded with professional law enforcement. Thank you Mr. O'Connor, all officers, and staff--
    Good work- we hate/deplore seeing officers placed in harms way, your response was excellent.
    My condolences to the Hartsfield family. Words often provide little comfort--- my thoughts and prayers are with you.

January 5, 2012 at 5:17 a.m.