Comments

• Yes, "other" should have been in the response.

January 9, 2012 at 10:45 a.m.
  • Did you mean "Also, yes, the Texas Legislature meets every [OTHER] year, but the work to advance bills occurs even when legislators are not in session."? I think you left a word out.

Thanks for correcting the story.

January 9, 2012 at 10:36 a.m.
  • Yes, the spelling error in the graphic slipped through our proofing process. We will correct the graphic and review our procedures. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Also, yes, the Texas Legislature meets every year, but the work to advance bills occurs even when legislators are not in session. For clarity's sake, we changed the word from "year" to "session."

January 9, 2012 at 9:30 a.m.
  • Riverboat, it's also Victoria, and if the writer graduated from VISD, spelling is only corrected in spelling or writing class, not in any other class. I was told that by my son's 7th grade history teacher when I brought a misspelled word in one of my son's essays to his attention. That is why my son is no longer enrolled in VISD (and why I need to change my name on these posts!).

Texas does not want teachers to be allowed collective bargaining rights because in my opinion the legislators would then have to open themselves up to hearing all that is wrong with the Texas school system. For goodness sake, teachers need to be allowed to teach, not have to cave to every political fool who happens to get elected.

January 9, 2012 at 9:21 a.m.
  • I realize they do not teach Texas History in other states, but if my memory serves me correctly, the Texas Legislature convenes on the 2nd Tuesday of January in odd numbered years, and then for only 140 days.

So, maybe it's every other year that the Texas chapter of the American Federation of Teachers tries for this legislation.

I thought we all got educated on how the Texas Legislature works when we had to endure all of that UHV TAMU Texas Tech Swap stuff. Remember how some local politicians were all in a dither because if we didn't act NOW!, it would be two years before they could try their scheme again?

January 9, 2012 at 7:49 a.m.

January 9, 2012 at 7:39 a.m.