Thursday, October 02, 2014




Advertise with us

Fire consumes home near DaCosta (Video)

By ErinPradia
Jan. 13, 2012 at 6 p.m.
Updated March 13, 2012 at 10:14 p.m.

Fire consumes home near  DaCosta. It was declared a total loss Friday.

FIRE SAFETY

If Victoria County residents plan to have a controlled burn this weekend, they should first call the dispatch number at 361-573-3221.Ron Pray, county fire marshal, asks people to report controlled burns in advance to avoid the fire department unnecessarily dispatching trucks. The Victoria County fire department office will be closed Monday for the Martin Luther King holiday.

HOW TO HELP

To help the Sanchez family, call the Crossroads Chapter of the American Red Cross at 361-573-2671.

A man and his son lost their home to a fire on Friday afternoon.

Genaro Sanchez, 74, of Victoria, burnt trash in barrels with covers in the back yard of his home at 710 Davis Lane near DaCosta about 9:30 a.m.

He thought the fire was completely extinguished until he heard a popping sound about 2:57 p.m. as he prepared to leave for the grocery store. When he looked out his back window, his back yard was on fire.

Sanchez, who was home alone, escaped the fire uninjured.

The home was declared a total loss, said Victoria Fire Battalion Chief Roger Hempel.

"I only owed three payments on the trailer. I was going to own it in April," Sanchez said.

Sanchez and his son Miguel Sanchez, 41, who lived with him in the mobile home, are being assisted by the Crossroads Chapter of the American Red Cross.

SHARE

Comments


THE LATEST

Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia