Comments

• PatB,

that is a question I have, if this money is to be used to help attract out of town visitors to stay in Victoria's hotels why are we even granting funds when our hotels are filled?

This is not a statement against the Film Festival but against all funding that is dished out.

In the past the Zoo, Bach, Museum, have all been funded yet I have yet to ever see any accountability that funds actually produce results. Does this funding directly result in people coming to Victoria. The Zoo tends to be filled with locals and field trips, Bach is very local crowd, especially at lunch time concerts, etc.

January 21, 2012 at 5:01 p.m.
  • I revisited the comment section and since I may have missed it I have to ask" With hotel.motel occupancy rates running about %110 locally, WHERE ARE ALL OF THESE PEOPLE GOING TO STAY"?
    Maybe Mr. Pedone,his dad and Mr. Hewlitt can put them up in a spare bedroom? I guess if they are also attending SXSW they can just keep the room in Austin and drive back and forth to the screenings. Then Austin gets the tax money.
    Patrick Barnes

January 19, 2012 at 6:55 a.m.

January 18, 2012 at 9:08 p.m.
  • In baseball there's  the "in the vicinity rule" for the second baseman and shortstop...In football "holding can be called on every play." and basketball it's the flop....We had complainers because the local police were enforcing a gambling law...Anyone complain over officer discretion if it's in their favor? How about those that broke the VA rules but were allowed another chance?

Some have used another identity while banned and now they are taking a righteous stance?..lol.  I know one who is still doing it.  Everyone is out of step but Willy...I

January 18, 2012 at 8:33 p.m.
  • I've been around long enough to know a couple of truths.
    People want to trust other people.
    People want to be part of "a team", they love it.

With that
    If all sporting events were called by officials that used rules of convenience and purposely made calls to ensure that only certain teams would have a chance to win, who would turn out to watch the games?
    When you twist the rules only to benefit the few, you sacrifice something much larger. Imagine educated people not being able to grasp that.

January 18, 2012 at 7:26 p.m.
  • By state law sales tax is distributed as follows...

State - 6 1/4% (.0625)

City - 1/4% (.0025) - 2% (.02), depending on local rate.

County - 1/2% (.005) - 1.5% (.015), depending on local rate.

Transit - 1/4 % (.0025) - 1% (.01), depending on local rate.

Special Purpose Districts - 1/8% (.00125) - 2% (.02), depending on local rate.

COV amounts to .015000
    County of Victoria .005000

January 18, 2012 at 6:44 p.m.
  • Since I already mailed my sales tax in... I believe the combined city/county share of sales tax is 1.25% or 1.5% one or the other.

January 18, 2012 at 6:36 p.m.
  • GOP_Lovechild,
    Warren Buffett and Bill Gates could dump their vast fortunes into the hands of our officials and guess what, this city would still be unable to gain support. Once all the odd behavior and catering to the friends was over, the citizens would once again balk at supporting it. If you think a handful of posters on this website are holding this city back, then you truly do not get the big picture. This festival may have possibilities in any other city. It may take a few years but Victoria's officials will see to it that the festival has a proper burial.

hewittjr apparently representing VPACinc stated something about "Mr. Pedone will be held to the standard of current laws". LMAO!!!
    Based on all the recent activities I have to assume that was an attempt at humor.
    Laws? What Laws? This cities?
    You're kidding right.

I've only been watching this cities officials for about 5 years. I am absolutely stunned at what I have seen so far. This can't be happening everywhere, can it?
    I can't wait to see what they do next. You just got to know there is more to come.

January 18, 2012 at 6:33 p.m.
  • GetSmart,
    Mr. Pedone's record was reported in a story Tuesday. The financial arrangement for the city funding also has been documented.

January 18, 2012 at 6:12 p.m.
  • Victoria can afford this. Good Lord, what does it take to move this city forward?
    Can you folks opposing this imagine if you guys made the decision on whether to fund Christopher Columbus or NASA?
    It’s a small risk and I really think a few years down the road most of us will be glad we took it.

January 18, 2012 at 5:41 p.m.
  • Getsmart, why get it in early? It doesn't seem to matter. Maybe I will go with an independent adult video film fest. Would closely correlate with this. Government cant.legislate morality right?

January 18, 2012 at 5:12 p.m.
  • This cities officials want it's citizens to support its activities. They scratch there heads in disbelief when the citizens don't show up in droves to cheer them on. They wonder why on earth would anyone oppose these great activities we are putting on.

Bewildered city officials, I give you this most recent example of bending over backwards for only the elite to show you why your citizens could care less about their city.

You could come up with a hundred bootfest type things and try to make it appear that it was a success. In reality it never will be because good hard working people will not support something that is tainted. They don't like it when every move or decision made has the odor of impropriety surrounding it.

Look around city officials and newspaper folks. Look at the smaller cities that have had activities for years and years that are better than Victoria's. Now sit back and wonder to yourselves if integrity does count for something.

Good luck officials and editorial board! You're going to need it.

January 18, 2012 at 4:51 p.m.
  • It seems that leadership have been reading the comments on VicAd. Last year, one poster and myself have discussed the possibly of having a flim festival in Victoria.

Mr. J Williams

January 18, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.
  • I think I will organize an exotic dance festival and ask for money. That is an art, and with no brightline anymore, I should be accepted.

January 18, 2012 at 1:04 p.m.
  • This can change at the ballot box during the next election.

January 18, 2012 at noon
  • how many other times have funds been given out outside of the standard procedure ?

January 18, 2012 at 11:06 a.m.
  • I could care less who Pedone is, what he has done, where he is from and what he is doing now.

The process is simple:
    1) You submit your requests BEFORE THE CUTOFF DATE.
    2) The committee decides who gets what.
    3) The money is divided up.

But there is one very serious unwritten practice in Victoria that stands out beyond any other concern.

4) If you are a "friend in high places" you will get special treatment and no one including the local newspaper or the majority of our cities officials care what anyone thinks about it.

This will happen again and we will all watch as the council chooses another avenue due to the level of power the person making the request has.

I love it. I get to add another example of government gone bad to my little personal list. I care and thats good enough for me.

Thank you Mr. Halepaska for choosing the route we all knew you would. LOL!

January 18, 2012 at 10:38 a.m.
  • “The committee denied funding for that proposal.” (referring to original proposal for film fest)

Armstrong stated at Jan. 3rd meeting "I know some of the groups were disappointed. Some got more," Mayor Will Armstrong said. "I think the committee did a good job. There won't be any attempt to second guess any of their decisions."

“Pedone submitted another application after the deadline.” (referring to second proposal)

On March 29, 2010 Councilman Polasek was attributed by the Advocate to have expressed the opinion in reference to the AACofC not submitting a timely application of: "Polasek also questioned what would happen if the city let one group that missed the deadline apply for funding.

Halepaska stated at a special meeting on Jan. 13th "I don't want to ruin our process," he said. "It's just a little late." (referring to second proposal)

Armstrong not going to second guess committee on Jan. 3rd and then overrides their decision on Jan. 17th.

Polasek not in favor of accepting late applications in 2010 but by his vote is OK with it in 2012.

Halepaska doesn’t want to ruin process on Jan. 13th and then votes to override the process on Jan. 17th.

I hope everyone that is so supportive of throwing out the rules and guidelines to accommodate this funding will be just as supportive when this group ignores the rules next time. If integrity is of no importance in small matters don’t expect it to be important in large ones.

January 18, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.

January 18, 2012 at 9:30 a.m.
  • VPAC; Inc. will be the custodian of any Taxpayer monies allocated to support the IFF. Mr. Pedone will be held to the standard of current laws when he submits invoices to our offices for reimbursement. VPAC; Inc. performed similar service when the Theater Victoria received HOT funding several years ago, and by the end of the FY we returned unused funds to the city. I hope that this may engender some trust between all parties concerned.
    Best Regards,
    Robert J. Hewitt, Jr.
    President, VPAC; Inc Board of Directors

January 18, 2012 at 9:27 a.m.
  • It appears to be just more small town cronyism. Those that know get the dough.
    I detest the hotel/motel tax! "Come and visit our town and sleep in one of our hotels". For the privelege we'll add about 17% to your bill ON TOP of a bunch of other taxes/fees.
    Patrick T. Barnes

January 18, 2012 at 8:39 a.m.
  • Good to see Halepaska sticking to his guns about not bending the rules. Oh wait.

January 18, 2012 at 7:36 a.m.
  • radio
    If the truth hurts, it will follow you all the days of your life. I feel sure if he were president some where you wouldn't mind that being posted. I see this action as nothing more than welfare at its best no matter how you got the money which is also shady at its best.

January 18, 2012 at 7:33 a.m.
  • We hate what we don't understand.

January 18, 2012 at 7:13 a.m.
  • What a waste of money for something that is going to be a big flop, but thats what council does best, waste money on dumb ideas.

January 18, 2012 at 6:56 a.m.
  • Digal... That has got to be one the most toxic and ignorant comments I think I have ever read on these blog. First, Victoria tax payers aren't paying for anything unless they stay in victoria motels/hotels. This money comes from the hotel motel tax so is generated from people who visit our area.

Second, Anthony has made mistakes and he's been very honest about them. He's paid the price for poor decisions, moved on and become a better person. Those mistakes happened almost a decade ago. He's not that person anymore and to throw a comment like that out is cruel and small minded.

You can disagree with the tax in principle, you can disagree with council's decision to make exception to the established procedures, but personal attacks are not needed or helpful in the discussion and beneath us all.

January 18, 2012 at 6:48 a.m.
  • Um ...I have one. How about this headline- independent artists continue forward progress while anonymous bloggers pout in basement.

Dig- it is not the city taxpayers dollars, it is hotel motel tax dollars that are REQUIRED to go to the arts. In looking at the article, Soliz tried to give up the cities tax dollars and the council acted responsibly and let that motion die.

January 18, 2012 at 6:41 a.m.
  • "Standing in line marking time, waiting for the welfare dime
    'Cause they can't buy a job
    The man in the silk suit hurries by
    As he catches the poor old ladies' eyes just for fun he says, "Get a job""......Get Smars comment "thats just the way it is" had me humming the tune, then I couldn't remember who sang it, so I googled it & found the lyrics...the first verse made me laugh, it seemed like this happened tonight..waiting in line for the welfare dime (Pedone) & I could soooo se Armstrong acting out the last line....made me laugh, thought I'd share.

January 17, 2012 at 11:22 p.m.
  • Santa Claus and his 4 Elves prevail. Who would have ever guessed. LMAO

January 17, 2012 at 9:44 p.m.