Without moisture, burn ban likely reinstated
Jan. 17, 2012 at 5:03 p.m.
Updated Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:17 p.m.
If Victoria County does not see enough rainfall this week, county commissioners are likely to reinstate a burn ban at their Monday meeting.
Despite numerous fires throughout the county, commissioners took no action to reinstate the ban Tuesday after lifting it during last week's meeting.
Because forecasts predict another dry year, County Judge Don Pozzi said he wants to give residents a chance to clear out brush, trash and other items before a ban has to be reinstated.
"I know there is burning that needs to be done out there," he said.
He added that while he does not like burn bans, he is concerned for the safety of the public and volunteers and urged people who burn to exercise extreme care.
Fire Marshal Ron Pray said unattended burns accounted for several preventable incidents last week.
He urged residents to take proper precautions before burning - call the fire marshal to report your controlled burn, never leave your burn unattended, do not start fires in high grass and keep a water supply near.
A house fire Friday in the 700 block of Davis Lane in DaCosta was caused by burning trash in a backyard.
The homeowner was using screen-covered barrels, but walked away without the flames fully extinguished, Pray said.
He heard a pop, likely from an aerosol can, and embers shot out, Pray said.
"Just attend the fire," Pray said.
Commissioner Kevin Janak said anyone burning whose fire or smoke affects their neighbor is liable for damage.
During other business in Tuesday's meeting, commissioners received $38,200 from a 2009 Homeland Security Grant Program, which the sheriff's office will use to purchase handheld radios.
Commissioners approved installing four-way stop signs at the corner of Church and Kolle streets in Inez, and made amendments to the sheriff's office budget by $23,635 for education and training.