Signing Day here for area athletes
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:02 p.m.
Updated Jan. 31, 2012 at 8:01 p.m.
Edna's Darius Callies and Gonzales' Landon Lock and Cody Jurek will have a chance to continue their football careers on the college level.
Callies announced a commitment Tuesday to play at Texas Southern University.
Lock and Jurek have committed to Eastern New Mexico University.
Callies, a wide receiver, caught 21 passes for 318 yards and eight touchdowns for the Cowboys, who advanced to the bi-district playoffs last season.
He committed to the Southwestern Athletic Conference school after visiting the Houston campus last weekend.
Lock and Jurek decided to remain teammates at the Lone Star Conference school located in Portales, N.M., after leading the Apaches to their first 10-0 regular season since 1963.
Lock was a first-team all-state selection at linebacker. He had 157 tackles, including 24 tackles for losses, caused three fumbles, and blocked two punts and two extra points.
Jurek was a second-team all-state selection at offensive tackle. He had 85 knockdown blocks for the Apaches, who finished 11-1.
Callies, Lock and Jurek will join other area athletes in making their commitments official Wednesday, national signing day.
Area Signees• Jonovan Allen, Rice Cons., Blinn College
• Daniel Brooks, Calhoun, Oklahoma
• Derek Brown, Bay City, Rice
• Darius Callies, Edna, Texas Southern
• Lynx Hawthorne, Refugio, Baylor
• Joey Hunt, El Campo, TCU
• Cody Jurek, Gonzales, Eastern New Mexico
• Jared Kaster, Rice Cons., Texas Tech
• Landon Lock, Gonzales, Eastern New Mexico
• Mac Long, Edna, Houston
• Nick McCrory, Calhoun, Navy
• Devin Parks, Edna, Houston
• Cole Wick, Sacred Heart, Incarnate Word