Rec Room: Sign up for booth rental, volunteering at Bootfest
By By Doug Cochran
July 15, 2012 at 2:15 a.m.
As you may have read in the newspaper or heard in your social circles from friends and family members, the lineup of entertainers for the 2012 Bootfest has been announced.
Plans for the festival have been quietly in motion for several months, and the city of Victoria is gearing up for its second annual festival Oct. 5-6.
The Parks and Recreation Department is accepting registration for Bootfest vendors. Vendors will operate their booths around DeLeon Plaza in downtown Victoria from 5 to 11 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, and from 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6.
Cost for a 10 feet by 10 feet arts and crafts booth is $75. Cost for a 10 feet by 20 feet food vendor booth is $200. Electricity is provided.
To provide more variety for our Bootfest visitors, the city has chosen to limit like type vendors. Vendors are encouraged to contact the Parks and Recreation department to discuss the available options.
The deadline for reserving a booth space at Bootfest is 5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 3. Vendors must call the Parks and Recreation Department at 361-485-3200 or come by the Parks and Recreation office, 476 McCright Drive, next to the Rose Garden in Riverside Park.
Bootfest volunteers Needed
Last year's Bootfest was a success, thanks in part to volunteers from the community.
Volunteers are needed again this year. The following types of people would be ideal volunteers for Bootfest:
• Students who need volunteer hours Students who need volunteer hours
• Citizens who enjoy volunteering Citizens who enjoy volunteering
• Corporate neighbors who pride themselves on giving back to the community Corporate neighbors who pride themselves on giving back to the community
If this description fits you or someone you know, please contact volunteer committee chairpersons Cheryl Marthiljohni and Marie Lester at 361-485-3500. There are various areas where volunteers are needed, such as helping at the children's event area, the ticket booth, beer booth and information booth; assistance with the festival set-up and tear-down; and help at the volunteer check-in area and with the volunteer hospitality area. Snacks and beverages will be available for volunteers.
For more information about the various Bootfest volunteer opportunities, including a volunteer application, please go to Visit Victoria Texas online, click on the "Bootfest" link and then click on the "Volunteer" link. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up!
Save the date for the following upcoming events, all free and brought to you by the Parks and Recreation Department:
• Thursday - Silver Bullet Street Dance featuring the Scott Taylor Band, 7:30 - 9 p.m. at DeLeon PlazaThursday - Silver Bullet Street Dance featuring the Scott Taylor Band, 7:30 - 9 p.m. at DeLeon Plaza
• Saturday - Market Days, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at DeLeon PlazaSaturday - Market Days, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at DeLeon Plaza
• Friday, July 27 - Tunes @ Noon featuring The Rackit of Victoria "Texas Style," noon - 1 p.m. at DeLeon PlazaFriday, July 27 - Tunes @ Noon featuring The Rackit of Victoria "Texas Style," noon - 1 p.m. at DeLeon Plaza
Doug Cochran is the director of the Parks and Recreation Department. Contact him at 361-485-3200, email email@example.com or follow us on Facebook at Victoria Parks Recreation.