Comments

• BSOD... I was impressed with your comments. I would actually rather have seen it get more exposure by being a Letter to the Editor.

Truth hurts sometimes, but it is normally what we need to hear and address.

June 4, 2012 at 2:23 p.m.
  • The grant will fund, among other things, staff development, extra pay for tutoring, a drug prevention counselor, behavioral intervention programs and consulting services. It use to be called a paddle. Old Mr Cade used it on me a couple of times and that's it lesson learned.

Extra pay! WOW !! Imagine that.

June 4, 2012 at 5:24 a.m.
  • @BSOD-WELL STATED!

Bottom line folks, PW and Stroman are on the bottom end of the socio-economic ladder. The problems they are fighting is a cultural issue. Complete indifference, apathy, call it what you want but it is what it is. No excuses, just a bad situation in our community and we can't win until we get things figured out in the family unit.

I coach, and you people wonder why the High Schools can't win! We can't get half the things we would love to accomplish because we are strangled by unique circumstances that many of the schools we have to compete with don't face. Certainly not to the degree we see it in Victoria!

THANK YOU Advocate for not sugar coatring it! Finally the truth comes out in print for everyone to see. Make no mistake about it though. Crain Middle School and Patti Welder were always like this, maybe not quite as bad, but they were bad when we just had a 3 middle school system.

@stillthewaywardwind- Yes these fancy names we like to assign people in education, are simply just another term we educators use to describe teachers who agree to come in and teach in very troubled situtaions. They are teachers with fancier names than "sucker". No disrespect to Ms. Ramirez, she's probably a wonderful teacher, however she's no different than any other teacher.

June 3, 2012 at 11:13 p.m.
  • Money. It's always money thrown at problems in our failing schools as the catalyst which will solve the problem. Thank goodness people are finally waking up to the fact that we're being hoodwinked. Money is not going to solve a darned thing at Patti Welder - not even $3.8 million dollars of it. Face facts. Our entire education system needs to be revamped. However, the reality is that it won't happen because it can't happen unless there is a fundamental change in society itself. The primary responsibility of raising and educating children belongs to parents. Therein lies the problem.

We've fostered too many generations under the misguiding belief that from 8 to 4 our children are wards of the State and every thing they need to know should emanate from our public education system.

What's wrong with our public education system is a complex problem. Public education has become politicized. It has become a vessel floating on massive amounts of money with too many strings attached. Education is bogged down in administrative edicts and bureaucracy. Combine that with societal problems in the family structure itself (single parents, divorce, poverty, etc.) and the result is what we're seeing currently in our schools. Some worse than others, such as Patti Welder, in this case.

Strong leadership combined with strong discipline is what is needed, however, teachers' and administrators' hands alike are tied. They must be careful not to offend the self-esteem of the kids (who are running amok and need it the most). Attempts to discipline the children usually results in some parent crying to the media and school board that the school is unjustly picking on their precious child.

We're doing our children no favors in the home and in school by coddling for fear of being accused of abusing the esteem of our children. Throwing $3.8 million dollars at this problem is a horrendous waste of money. Time to quit sparing the rod and stop spoiling the child.

June 3, 2012 at 10:13 p.m.
  • Wow. Schools are not supposed to be this way in Victoria or anywhere else. Are there any teachers from PW who would give an assessment of what it is really like?

3.8 million bucks is a lot of money. Sounds like VISD knows they need to do something and they have a plan to fix it.. Like someone said earlier, it is a shame that the good students are going to suffer while we have to throw money at a discipline problem. Good luck.

June 3, 2012 at 8:37 p.m.
  • The redistricting a while back put my children at Patti Welder. This promptly forced me to remove them from public school and now they do their school online, they are all A students and no way was I going to let them deal with all the crap at patti welder. The online school is more challenging, and best of all, no punks.

June 3, 2012 at 11:19 a.m.
  • Occasionally. I drive by Patti Welder when school lets out. This may sound bad...I stare in disbelief at what comes out of that school.

Since I am basing this solely on what I see and having not spoken to a single kid or Teacher there, it looks like my thoughts of what a poorly organized gang should look like, not a group of students.

Based on what I see, there should be at least 15 to 20 cops on that campus at all times. Again, I could be way off the mark here.

June 3, 2012 at 11:12 a.m.
  • Jason, I see several things are your list are problems at Patti Welder. Both of my older kids went to Patti Welder. It was bad then. My youngest is in Elementary now and I have told him since he started school that he will not go to Patti Welder, I will home school him after 5 grade. I will not send any more of my children to Patti Welder!

June 3, 2012 at 10:53 a.m.
  • visd needs a 'special' middle/high school.

fail 6th or higher grade you automatically go to this school until you catch up. separate the bottom 10% to 15% from the rest of the student population.

June 3, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.
  • So everybody dig down deep and tell us what is the real problem with our schools?

Is it the Administration?
    Is it the quality of Teachers?
    Is it the rich kids?
    Is it the poor kids?
    Is it the minorities?
    Is it the ignorant parents?
    Is it the lack of discipline?
    Is it just always going to be this way because it's Victoria?
    Is it a combo-pack of the above?

I didn't include "a lack of money" as we all know chunking large sums never seemes to solve anything.

June 3, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.
  • Okay, I am old. When I was in school, we didn't have "middle schools" but rather junior high schools. When I was in school, each class had a teacher. I see by the caption under the photo that Rita Ramirez is a "learning facilitator" at Patti Welder. Uhhh, I give up. WHAT is a learning facilitator? Is that anything like a teacher? Is it the new name for teachers, like middle school is the new name for jr. hi? She is wearing a VISD ID badge so I presume she's employed by the district. I'm just wondering what a learning facilitator is and how one is different from a teacher. Is there a teacher in the class? Sorry to sound ignorant, but I've never heard the term before. I guess this is one of those things you miss by not having kids.

June 3, 2012 at 10:31 a.m.
  • One thought comes to mind...... Why did VISD redistrict and send more kids into a school with such low performance knowing full well there were many,many problems that would have to be worked out and change would be slow coming? The kids who will be leaving a good school and going to a this "bad" school do not have three years to see a turn around. It is a shame that those kids have to go to the bottom. Why not keep the campus smaller and work on the issues instead of diluting the efforts by adding more kids..While I applaud VISD for making the effort to turn the school around You have to wonder.....VISD has known for years, even the citizens of this town have known for years there has been problems and nothing....nothing has changed.. The district should receive an F for failing to act sooner and with more passion for those students that have endured all the years of hardship at Patti Welder Middle School. This goes to the core of so many comments that show apathy and disgust for the VISD system and the many decisions they have made over the years. While the West Learning Community has this problem there is another situation in our East Learning Community. As a parent of a Stroman Middle School student, we have already endured some the same problems that the students of Pattie Welder have and are enduring. If history is any indication of the future then, Stroman is treading in troubled waters already. Will VISD wait until the problems at Stroman Middle School persist as long and run as deep as they do at Pattie Welder before they tackle the problem and attempt to rectify that situation as well. For our kids sake I hope not!!!!!

June 3, 2012 at 9:08 a.m.
  • That said, Trey Edwards is a heck of a leader and I respect him and he has done a good job in a short amount of time but the problems there run deep and long and will be hard to fix in a short amount of time. The issues at this school were not caused by or created by Mr. Edwards, he inherited a tough situation.

Good luck Mr. Wright.

June 3, 2012 at 8:44 a.m.
  • The problem at Patti Welder is the lack of discipline with students and their parents who always think little Johnny, Susie, Jose, Consuela, Lebron or Teshaundra isn't the problem.

This school had a mass exodus of teachers this year because they are frustrated by the BS and the fact these kids run this place and the kids know it. The kids at PW can get away with anything without any consequences.

Until parents start taking some responsibility and holding their kids accountable and allow discipline at school to take place nothing will change.

When your longtime teachers are leaving in droves that is a sure sign that something is wrong.

It takes more than a dress code to create an environment for learning.

June 3, 2012 at 8:37 a.m.
  • Bottom line is if Patti Welder should fail all of these low achieving students will then have to be placed in other schools in the district.
    Better to fix this school from the inside so all the students who want to can achieve rather than scattering them out into other schools where they will blend in and get lost in the system.
    I drive by this school every day and I see the fights and the disrespect for adults and each other. These kids play chicken in traffic and dare you to hit them and then give you the #1 sign and curse and yell at motorests. I don't even want to think about what goes on inside of this schools walls. I would say it takes a brave teacher to get anyone to learn here.And I'd hate to be one of the kids who actually wants to learn.
    Can this school be turned around? I believe it can but I think the principle and teachers and parents are going to need to go in tough and let these kids know up front that they are not going to put up with any bs. And then follow thru with it.
    There are some smart kids at this school and if teachers could focus on teaching instead of breaking up fights and disrespectful students and disrespectful parents this school could do well. And they need teachers who still believe that these kids can learn and thrive.

June 3, 2012 at 8:37 a.m.
  • "persistently lowest achieving," meaning it's in the bottom 5 percent of Title 1 schools in Texas.........(Wow! That's not good. It's pathetic)

Someone pray tell me how VISD seems to always get into situations like this with their schools! News Flash: Throwing 3.8 million dollars at it, isn't going to fix it. Patti Welder will struggle consistently.

Here's a thought VISD. Put 3.8 million in the schools that achieve and watch what those students do! Oh yeah, I forgot. You all like to spend 90% of the money on the 10%.

June 2, 2012 at 10:56 p.m.