Home » TxDOT approves speed hike on US 59, 77 » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Well, if I would've known that these comments were going to print, I would've been a little more clear. Some drivers just don't pay attention, regardless of speed limit or anything else. Some drivers never exceed 45 mph, which is just as dangerous or more dangerous than speeding. Some drivers weave and cross the double-yellow line with a cell phone pasted to their ear and tailgate the driver in front of them without even realizing it.

I'll say it one more time...Speeding doesn't kill; stopping does.

June 12, 2012 at 7:59 a.m.
  • You can still drive 70 if you like, just do one thing STAY TO THE RIGHT.

I watched a driver with a reporter and cameraman in his car doing 130 on the Autobahn and the reporter asked him, how is it that there is not more accidents on this stretch of road?

The left is for fast drivers the right for slower drivers and we don't have 6 cup holders in our cars. The reporter asked what was does 6 cup holders have to do with anything, the driver replied, it is a nice way of saying we have no distractions in our cars like Americans do.

June 8, 2012 at 5:37 a.m.
  • I drove to Houston Wednesday afternoon. Left Vic about 1330. Right before Kendelton Isaw a 75MPH sign on the right side of the road. I assumed it was a trick to catch speeders given K'towns rep in the past. Didn't see anymore the rest of the way.

June 7, 2012 at 5:01 p.m.
  • This afternoon I went to Edna. The new signs are up. Coming and going very few folks were driving 75. We were pretty much doing 79-80, which is not a whole lot more than we had been doing all along. I think the only thing we will see besides more fatalities when there are wrecks, is a loss of revenue from speeding tickets.

June 7, 2012 at 4:24 p.m.
  • Now we can look forward to accidents that injure of kill 15 or 20, instead of 11. Bad move for any roads in the crossroads area.

June 7, 2012 at 2:06 p.m.
  • OK then, lets increase our dependence on foreign oil even more and give more of our paychecks to the oil companies.

June 7, 2012 at 11:20 a.m.
  • If they raised the speed limit to 100 mph, people would drive 110 mph-don't see the need to raise speed limit -just another expense for tax payers to have to pay for new speed limit signs.

June 7, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.
  • About 87 at Nursery...the speed is not the issue. The problem is the entrances to the store that are on 87. They are too close to the 447 intersection. I have seen it numerous times where people stack up at the entrance or in the inside lane trying to turn in to the store. There needs to be a traffic control device to not allow north bound traffic from using the store entrances on 87. Of course money talks!

June 7, 2012 at 9:09 a.m.
  • familyman - "It is a 5 lane highway and safe. Accidents will happen to people that are not paying attention. It does not matter which road they are on or how fast they are going."

Agreed that accidents happen when people don't pay attention, but increasing speed? really? Slower speed = faster stopping times = last damage = fewer fatalities. I do NOT agree that 87 from Nursery to VWHS is safe. Sorry. If you lived along it, you'd know better. It appears you only have a quick glance of that particular stretch of road a couple of times a day on you daily commute.

June 7, 2012 at 9:05 a.m.
  • Markkrueger- I think you are wrong about 87 from Nursery to Victoria. That area needs to be increased to 80 mph from the flashing light in Nursery to the light at West High School. I travel that road every day and 50% of the cars are passing me while I am doing 70mph. It is a 5 lane highway and safe. Accidents will happen to people that are not paying attention. It does not matter which road they are on or how fast they are going.

June 7, 2012 at 6:40 a.m.
  • Agreed, Mark. When the speed limit is increased, people increase their current chronic speed by the same increment.

June 7, 2012 at 6:19 a.m.
  • The chronic speeders will now push 80 or more. Remember, speed doesn't kill...stopping does. I personally think it was a bad move, and 87 from Nursery into town definitely needs to be brought down to 55mph. 80,000 lbs. of tanker has no business driving 70 through that intersection.

June 7, 2012 at 5:57 a.m.